Do stringers ever string the racket in a way which make it easy to pop?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by johnnxiv, Jan 11, 2015.

1. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    Do stringers ever string the racket in a way which make it easy to pop so that customers will have to come back and restring?

I see a little cut mark(about 10% on the new string) on each of my 2 rackets at different locations.

2. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I have heard of one stringer locally doing it to a friends racquet but I think a majority of stringers out there would be doing the right job.
    I'd take it back and confront them about it and ask for a refund or replacement. Otherwise bad publicity will usually do the trick. Karma has a way of catching up with these people.

3. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

It is possible, and you should post pictures if you have suspicion. Stringers also have the ability to do things so as add a string at the top to prevent that string from popping. :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Do business cheat people's money? There will certainly be some, but a bad idea to generalize to all.

5. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I don't do this. After all I want my customers to be happy and come back time and again. Strings popping early leads to frustration and if they happen too often mistrust. It's not the kind of relationship I want with my customers.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There probably are such people, but given the choice between a player coming back five times a year and possibly referring me to friends, or twice and then never again (and probably slamming me to his friends), the first one wins.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is it possible to have a picture?

8. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Most stringers will be honest and do a good job, I have never even been tempted to do such a thing, I get many referrals just from good word of mouth from friends and that's sufficient for me. People deliberately fixing string jobs to get repeat business need to just be avoided and often word will get round and they will lose out in the long run.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Don't ask what the meaning of life is. You define it.

9. 4-string

4-string Regular Member

FWIW, I got some cuts using flying clamps with some rough spots just were they hold the strings.

Fortunately I saw it so I could cut them out and restring before the client got the racket back.

I then invested in new, better clamps. :)

10. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    #10 johnnxiv, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  11. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Regular Member

Man I just broke three 3 strings on 3 rackets in one game. It was like a span of 6 points. All were BG 65 at 22-23 tension. When string and tension lasts longer? Broke string on Voltric 70, then Nanospeed 9900, and an old Arcsaber 002 I had. It was so embrassing! How do I avoid this or which string should I get?

12. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    @johnnxiv , never seen cuts like that when I string. That's interesting.

@Natty Bumpo , how old were the strings and where did all three rackets break? Shouldn't break like that, BG65 is pretty thick as far as strings go and often the default string in most if not all new rackets. It's generally the cheapest and known for durability. On top of that, three different rackets and models!

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

14. Natty Bumpo

The thing is I only use the Voltric 70 for play. The Nanospeed was strung in September and hasn't been used since Early October. The Arc Saber 002 is a cheap racket and hasn't been strung since since I bought it two years ago. I saw that the strings were very worn out before i picked it up to continue the game. I really shouldn't have used it. We were winning 20-16 and that's when my Voltric broke, then my Nanospeed, then my Arc Saber when it was 20-20. I borrowed someone else's racket to finish the game but was really nervous of breaking their string too. We lost 20-22! Bad Luck for me!

15. Natty Bumpo

The thing is I only use the Voltric 70 for play. The Nanospeed was strung in September and hasn't been used since Early October. The Arc Saber 002 is a cheap racket and hasn't been strung since since I bought it two years ago. I saw that the strings were very worn out before i picked it up to continue the game. I really shouldn't have used it. We were winning 20-16 and that's when my Voltric broke, then my Nanospeed, then my Arc Saber when it was 20-20. I borrowed someone else's racket to finish the game but was really nervous of breaking their string too. We lost 20-22! Bad Luck for me!

16. FlyingDutch

FlyingDutch Regular Member

Student
    It highly depends on which machine you use. I used to string with a pros pro with a crank, and it had this horrible effect because the string slips through the metal gripper and the rough clamps.
    And Mark pointed out correctly, that every string can have some faults on it.

I would never cut or damage a string of a customer on purpose. But i have to say that my customers are able to break their strings even without any faults on it ;)

17. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    Isn't it obvious when both of my rackets have similar cuts and they were strung recently by same stringer?

As a professional stringer, can you purposely to string the racket so that it's easier to break? I'm just curious to see if professional stringers can do this or not.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you're not happy, just change stringer. It's simple. The stringer won't want to string for a person who doesn't trust them and will be quite happy for your business to go elsewhere.

Iirc, you have other threads where you question the integrity of the other person giving little consideration to other reasons.

19. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Most reputable stringer will supply free labor if string snaps right after restring. Obviously if u are a hard smasher at pro level, ur stringer may not do so, haha

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There'd be no way to control the timing:).

Could I sabotage a string job so it breaks? Certainly... but there's no way to do it to make it break in, say, exactly ten hours.