Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

A yellow card is basically a slap on the wrist. A red card comes with a $500 fine at least and your opponent gains a point (but to them I guess $500 is probably not that much). But something needs to change, such as BWF imposing a bigger fine on this kind of things.

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Dude there's no need to discuss their behavior. We all know they're (insert multitudes of degratory expletives). They haven't and will never changed even if they get penalised for it IMO. This is simply because they're old now and they've been allowed to do it for too many years.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

As Morten Frost commentated, it's too bad that the Danes were wasting their mental energy on LYD's serve instead of concentrating on their game.

#83 visor, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  4. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    My point is why umpire is hesitant in using options available with him and allowing misconduct. Yellow Card is least to expect. If umpire shows the intent that he is keenly observing the players and he will not allow them to misbehave, may be they will behave themselves. here imho umpire is passive and allowing misbehavior to pass on as a normal behavior by his inaction.

5. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    I feel it is because, as you say 'because they're old now and they've been allowed to do it for too many years'.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^ No card was given because it happened after the game was finished, as they were walking towards the exit.

7. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    Agreed. On post match behavior Referee and/or BWF should take appropriate call.

But imho during a match there were occasions when Dens could have been appropriately censured.

8. gheri

gheri Regular Member

sport massage therapist - osteopathy
    umpire can be wrong but a player, especially at that level, cannot complain like that; respect above all.
    at high level players have 'just' to hit the shuttle, umpires have to look for small details that could be fault.

years ago at swiss open, playing on central court, one of the danish (don't remember who) after a lost game throwed away the racket until public stands... i see they still have the same bad attitude

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    More than likely it's Boe. He has always had the worser temper of the 2 with a need to take it out in his racket or the shuttle.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm just wondering, why we see more of Danes with this type of on court behaviour... I don't recall any other Asian country players acting like this. Perhaps Danish coaches don't nip it in the bud and allow this behavior to persist? I can imagine Asian coaches would be too strict to allow such things as returning the shuttle by whacking at the bird on the ground, or sneering in the opponent's face when they lose a point.

#90 visor, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Indeed. I remember watching the Denmark Open I think. There was a Danish mixed doubles pair not a really prominent one. The man had pretty bad manners too. Not as bad as BoeMo but it was bad enough that I instantly disliked him despite his skill. Only Asian I recall recently having any racket abuse was Zhang Nan when he and Zhao lost to Polii and that young Indonesian kid and he smashed his racket right after the match point and got yellow carded for it.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, and I recall some Asian player kicking the sign board too after losing. But this is mild compared to arguing with the service judge or umpire, or sneering at the opponents when they lose a point. Much more distasteful.

13. biomik

biomik Regular Member

What Boe said was somewhat rude but I fail to see anything racist in it. In fact, playing this racist card so common nowadays is a dangerous game and may backfire. Yoo clearly got away with few serves that were illegal but I am sure it happens in almost any match. The Danes (opposite to what northern europeans should be like) are very hot tempered and emotional. With all the adrenaline they sometimes do and say regrettable things. In the end, they pay the price because of lack of proper focus and concentration. In tennis, service gets most hawk-eye challenges, maybe players that are faulted in badminton on the serve should be able to challenge it as well.

14. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Meanwhile, Chen Long losing a point :)

Attached Files:

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Of course he can do that... he's leading by 13-8...;)

16. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Oh [MENTION=96435]DuckFeet[/MENTION] you just made my day.
    [MENTION=10863]biomik[/MENTION] I agree. Playing the racist card is a really iffy thing. And the service judge does look kind of Indian too

17. DigitalDNA

DigitalDNA Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Well he says something like "you should come [go] back to India"...last I checked, a statement of that sort (with the nationality incorrect too) was racist, also the implication that he is incompetent/partial to asians because he is asian himself

#97 DigitalDNA, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The choice of words Boe used was very bad. If you see nothing racist, it is very easily interpreted by many people as being exactly that because a) he referred to the country and b) he said 'go back'.

These are terms synonymous with racial prejudice and such words by any player whether European, Asian, North American etc are unacceptable in this day and age.

19. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I was shocked to see someone behave like that with the official. Racist or not, his behaviour was rude and should be addressed with a strict action. If not, we'll soon see Boe beat up umpire next, followed by bwf president maybe.

20. madbinton845

madbinton845 Regular Member

I cant see him behaving the same way and especially saying the same things to a northern european umpire and that to me is racist.