Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    who is going to pay for this "compensation"?

oh wait. let's check to see if he bought a huge insurance against such possibility recently... :)

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Kwun, good one.

It follows the story of a guy who bought an expensive watch and then went immediately to the next shop to sell it. The owner of the next shop thought it was suspicious and called the cops but was sued when the guy proved he paid for it.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Holy Mackeral! :eek:
    After scrolling through all these pages of lurid hypothetical posts, I might need:
    topical dexamethasone for tired eyes; injectable dexamethasone for mousing tendonitis; inhaled dexamethasone for cough brought on by the computer-fan dust; and oral dexamethasone to shrink the brain tumour all this screen time has probalby caused. :(
    (@visor: can you fix me up?)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=32159]Fidget[/MENTION]
    Tks, tsk, you seem to have missed another route of administration :
    rectal dexamethasone for the hemorrhoids that invariably would have developed from sitting there for so long following BC threads... ;)

#10384 visor, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ....and this puts a whole new spin on the term "residents" :p

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think you might have miss the part where he asked you to administer it. :eek:

i think these few has gone way pass that stage already!

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The only possible reply to this line of discussion is the wise one that LCW is utilizing nowadays: 'No comment'.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    or "let's get back on topic..."

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, sir! :)

So, here's my thinking about this mess and the possible miscalculation of the drug pharmacokinetics.

If so, then B sample would most likely end up being positive, because it is really the one and the same sample as A, being taken at the same time but split into 70% A and 30% B. Drug tests these days are super sensitive using immuno assays and mass spectrometry. So, if it's there even in small amounts, it'll be detected.

So, in the ensuing aftermath, heads will roll at the medical treatment team and BAM leaders will remain intact.

And for LCW the blessing in disguise is that he is forced to retire at or near the top of his game without having to fight it out over the next 2 years to OG thru various injuries to his aging body. Without much negative implications too, since it really wasn't his fault.

Dear ChongWei, keep heart. Stay strong and courageous. We never doubted you for a second. Your decade of hard work against the wall of China will never be forgotten and will remain your legacy for us Malaysians. You will remain in our hearts the best and most humble and hard working badminton player ever. Your diving saves will never be emulated, ever. From now on, enjoy your family with Kingston and WMC. Be successful with your various ventures, but please don't forget about possibly passing on your torch in the future by raising up the next generation of world beater players.

10. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Doping: B sample to be tested in Nov 4 or 5

KUALA LUMPUR: Nov 4 or Nov 5 – that’s when the B sample of a national athlete will be tested.
    The A sample of the athlete has been tested positive for dexamethasone.

Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said that the international federation (IF) had given the national association the two dates to choose from to open the B sample.

The athlete, who has the right to choose the date, has been informed of the latest development.
    Once the date has been chosen, arrangements will be made to fly the athlete to Oslo, Norway, to witness the opening of the B sample.

“The international federation concerned have given Nov 4 and Nov 5 as the dates for the opening of the B sample. At this moment, the athlete has not made a decision,” said Khairy.

“I am not going but I will be sending Dr Ramlan and Nishel.”
    Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz is the National Sports Institute (NSI) chief executive officer and Nishel Kumar is the head of Adamas (Anti-Doping Agency of Malaysia).

On Monday, Khairy had confirmed that an athlete had failed a dope test during a recent major tournament.
    He did not reveal the identity of the athlete, saying he would only do so once the result of the B sample is known.

Although there has been no official statement, it is believed that the athlete is world No. 1 shuttler Lee Chong Wei.

It is learnt that his urine sample has been found to have traces of the banned substance dexamethasone during a test done after the semi-finals of the World Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark.
    Dexamethasone is not a performance-enhancing drug but a type of steroid medication with anti-inflammatory effects that is usually used to aid an athlete’s rehabilitation.

Asked if he has been keeping in touch with the athlete, the minister said: “I have been in touch with the athlete. The athlete is anxious, but that is expected.”

“We are going through the athlete’s recent medical history to see how the substance could be present.”

FULL NEWS:http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Other-Sport/2014/10/25/B-sample-to-be-opened-in-November/

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Reading this, I think it will be a BAM mistake of not giving proper advice to him on medication usage, and a bit of his own naiveness to trust medication he took.

BAM is obviously obliged to help him but will come out smelling like an unprofessional setup.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Well, look at it this way:

How much do you know about dexamethasone, it's metabolism, half life, variability between individuals, the difference between zero order and first order pharmacokinetics, it's half life, active metabolites, excretion pharmacokinetics?

That sort of stuff you would learn at undergrad pharmacology and to really know it, postgraduate level. Most doctors will only have a cursory knowledge.

Most athletes don't know those implications and would have to trust their medical team, otherwise, why have a medical team?

Interesting that the coaches say the athletes go for regular testing, How often is 'regular'? Once a month? Once every two months?

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2014/10/24/Coaches-stand-by-shuttlers/

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    As explained in above post :

"Dexamethasone is not a performance-enhancing drug but a type of steroid medication with anti-inflammatory effects that is usually used to aid an athlete’s rehabilitation."

Everyone in badminton circle knows that he is injured prior to the WC and probably took the substance provided by the medical team, can/will there be any appeal should sample B be positive, that is if he wants to continue competing.

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Cheung, precisely my point his and BAM's naiveness in believing everything is ok. But definitely BAM's unprofessional setup not to alert LCW.

All fans are utterly disgusted. Rightfully so I might add.

#10394 X Ball, Oct 24, 2014
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

nokh88,

Dexamethasone belongs to a corticosteroid class that is allowed out of competition for rehab, but not in competition. So, if B is positive, he'll be penalized.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

X Ball ,

Nah, they're not unprofessional, just incompetent in miscalculating how long it'll stay in his system, as Cheung was alluding to.

#10396 visor, Oct 24, 2014
  17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Ya, then they are useless. Incompetent.

#10397 X Ball, Oct 24, 2014
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What's the sensitivity and specificity of these measurement devices?

Although BAM takes most of the responsibility being in charge, to be fair, it's the medical responsibility for the decision in giving the drug.

I can easily imagine the following:

BAM Doctor: ehh, got injury, try stem cell lah.

Athlete: Can leh?

BAM Doctor: Can, mah. New research from America show good

Athlete: Oh yeah, saw in Sing Chew. Sure can?

BAM Doctor: add some more medicern, then can heal quick

Athlete: aye, doctor. Safe, meh?

BAM Doctor: Ok lah, one week enough time for no more drug in body....

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Wow so much spin ah?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Boh lah. My hokkien not good enough, one. Tahan too much.