Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Appreciate you guys are trying to mellow everything down. But to me, the sensitivity is already gone when you first allow members to discuss names.

The only thing you should stop is contentious ones.

2. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

#10322 Gary Lim, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Ah, visor thinking like how a Msian would :D

Err, Sairul Ayob's sample B was tested negative.;) He took some medication containing that drug a couple of weeks before testing.

4. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
  5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    *Phew! I wouldn't want such a birthday present, ever! :(

6. eaglehelang

Wow, that case boss, good thing we didnt post the more sensitive news from Msian press.

7. eaglehelang

Xball!! Long time no see.:D
    You havent seen/read certain malay press reports yet, accusations that go beyond just naming the player

8. eaglehelang

Published: Thursday October 23, 2014 MYT 10:11:00 PM
    Updated: Friday October 24, 2014 MYT 8:46:41 AM
    It’s everybody’s responsibility, says Dr Ramlan

by rajes paul

Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz

Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz

KUALA LUMPUR: There is no denying that an athlete has to take the blame if he or she fails a dope test.

But National Sports Institute (NSI) chief executive officer (CEO) Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz believes that coaches, team managers and national associations should also share the responsibility of monitoring the medications and supplements their athletes used and consumed.

He was commenting about the spate of doping incidents over the last three months – from the junior to the elite level.

Three junior athletes – weightlifters Jelinie Empera (Sarawak) and Siti Fazera Ishak (Perlis) and cyclist Dhia Danial Kharil (FT) – were tested positive for banned substances during the Malaysia Games (Sukma) in Perlis in September.

At last month’s Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, wushu exponent Tai Cheau Xuen was tested positive for the stimulant sibutramine and was stripped of the gold medal won in the women’s nanquan and nandao all-round.

On Monday, it was confirmed that another athlete, believed to be world No. 1 shuttler Lee Chong Wei, had been tested positive for dexamethasone at a major tournament.

It is a type of steroid medication with anti-inflammatory effects that is usually used to aid an athlete’s rehabilitation.

“It is always sad when we get this kind of news. The athletes may claim ignorance but ultimately, it is his or her responsibility. No one can force these athletes to take any tablets, injections or supplement without their consent,” said Dr Ramlan.

“In NSI, we have the responsibility to make sure that all athletes are educated on these matters.”

Dr Ramlan also said that it was time that coaches and national associations took a greater interest in their athletes’ life – as far as the medical aspect is concerned.

“We need the collaboration and cooperation of all – so coaches and team officials have to make it their business too,” he said.

“When a test is positive, the association will come running to the NSI. Some of them don’t even bother looking at the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) code or even their own international federation’s.

Asked to reveal the name of the latest athlete caught for doping, Dr Ramlan said: “I would not be able to reveal … not because I do not know. I simply cannot and it is not my role to do so.”

He, however, sympathised with the athlete .

“I handled this case. I can confirm that an athlete at this level would have gone for more than 100 dope tests.

“When one is a top athlete, he or she is in a testing pool and is tested frequently. Never once has this athlete been tested positive.

“This athlete has been clean so far and that itself speaks a lot of the athlete’s exemplary behaviour and conduct. Cheating is habitual ... it just doesn’t happen like that.

“Looking at this case, as far as my experience is concerned, rather than an intention to cheat, there could have been a mistake that this athlete did not know. That could be the case.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2014/10/23/Everybody-is-accountable/

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Dexamethasone is one (from many) of the main glucocorticosteroid medication and since stated by WADA that all type of medication that falls under this type of steroid is prohibited, that is why probably they did not list it.

10. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    If that is actually the case.......I do not even know what I should say

11. wiranata

wiranata Regular Member

it's a sad day for the sport.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Do I have the sequence right?

1 Oct: LCW learned of result of A Sample
    17 Oct: LCW elected to have B Sample tested
    17 Nov: He will know the result of B Sample

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Disagree with you there.

There are posts where the content is plainly illogical. These ones we don't delete.

There are posts which are irrelevant in content. Depending on the situation, these might be moderated.

There are some posts which like to kick a person while they are down. It depends on the language used. If the language is crude, it gets scrutinised carefully. It's better to have a moral standard otherwise the forum just degenerates into senseless bickering and eventually loses its primary function.

Speculation is permitted but do it properly and with respect.

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Is it today's ? I only read the STAR.

I like gossips. So I will read when I have the time. :D

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

That was what I mean -- focus on banning the contentious ones (refer your own comments above now underlined and bolded).

Also, there is always sensitive things - if you allow some and not others, it is hypocritical. What is grey is black for some and what is black is grey to others. I do not condemn any deletions if you feel it is black, what I said was it is hypocritical.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Ultimate responsibility.

It's rather a contentious issue.

An athlete such as LCW should be surrounded by world class advisors - experts in their own field. If the athlete makes a decision based on wrong information given by his team, can the athlete be ultimately responsible?

Is it reasonable to expect an athlete to have the same knowledge or comprehension as a doctor, physio, sports nutritionist, manager etc?

For instance, dexamethasone has a half life of around 48 hours. After 3 half lives we would expect it to drop to 5 percent of its peak level. Maybe another 2 half lives to drop to 99%. But the half life is very variable between individuals.

Moreover, 5% of the peak value is a relative value, not an absolute value.

An explanation of the pharmcokinetics would be a little tricky to understand as it is something taught at undergrad level (or maybe near to undergrad level).

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and it appears that LCW does have some world class advisors!! ;)

18. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

I get what you're saying and I agree.

At what point does the responsibility leave the player and start to move into the purview of the people managing him.

If he gets a flu and the doctor prescribes him flu medication that contains Pseudoephedrine (banned substance under WADA), is it his responsibility to know the actual ingredient contained within or is it his team physio/medical's responsibility to ensure that any prescribed medication is in accordance with WADA's restrictions?

It seems irresponsible to simply just say that its the player's responsibility and absolve yourself of any wrong doing.

But then again, it's the same in Formula 1. If the pit-crew releases the car unsafely into the path of another car, the driver gets penalised even though he was acting only on the instructions of the pit-crew.

I fear that, if the B test is positive, then this player-in-question would be banned while the management team would just get a slap on the wrist...... and if it's the mgt team who botched it up, then it truly is a black day for BAM.

19. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

I agree that its not only the player's responsibility especially when the banned substance is not steroids or any illegal drugs. He must have taken it(medicine) without knowing it contains that drug. His medical team should know what kind of medicine and ingredients is in that and not him. He's a sportsperson, not a doctor and he only knows how to play badminton. I highly doubt that he pays full attention in science class when he was still schooling and I doubt that he has the time and interest to study medicines. Its not fair to put majority of the blame on him.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

if it is the team who advised the athlete to take the medication, doesn't a large part of the responsibility fall upon the team?

For the F1 example, not only the driver is penalised but the car is penalised. For an athlete, sometimes we see the coach being penalised. If the athlete has already asked if the drug is ok (actually many people will have a lot of trust and not ask), and/or the team hasn't explained the implications properly, then medical legal law will side with the plaintiff.

I read that LCW has had stem cell treatment - the last paper I read on it was from the international Olympic committee reviewing the evidence. There is very sparse evidence of being of benefit....and what of the harm?

#10340 Cheung, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014