Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    You suspected? What? Please tell us. You, I took, were a great fan of LCW.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Dear Sir, as I said suspected. Can't say much until and unless I have....See below :

My apologies.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

LoL. So basically you're saying he has been doping ever since he appeared on the international stage? Because he has always looked like this - in fact, he looks much healthier than in his earlier years since he put on some muscle. You really should get a bit more informed about side effects of doping, not drug-use - there's basically no performance-enhancing substance that'll make you look like a junkie.
    Sunken eyes, bony body (he actually has super-low body fat, but a very decent amount of muscle, probably more than you) may be an indication of drug abuse, and you can't seriously think any athlete could have a drug problem and still perform :D
    As to his pronounced cheek bones - he was born with those. How would doping change his bone structure, especially in his face?

Didn't the bwf official (or whoever issued the statement) himself say that it was not a performance-enhancing drug, and that it was almost without a doubt an accident? It has to be some pages back (this thread fills up like no one's business), but I'm rather certain I read something like that.
    Also, if it's really a painkiller or something of the sort - how would he be 'tainted' by that? It does nothing to enhance performance, and was probably a temporary thing for some injury where someone forgot to check the WADA list if the medicine was okay.
    Let's not jump to conclusions before there is an official and definitive statement :)

Also, Sigit Budiarto still has a lot of fans - and he was actually banned for a performance-enhancing steroid, which is something that really can't happen by mistake and is a lot worse (in my eyes) than something like a pain killer.

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Urine sample, taken same time as A. A tested first. If the player not satisfied with results, can request to test B

For detailed info, google Sairol/Sairul Ayob, the KLRC player who tested +ve for sample A but negative for B.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I was curious and followed your advice and found this.

6. eaglehelang

Published: Tuesday April 24, 2007 MYT 12:00:00 AM
    Updated: Friday July 5, 2013 MYT 10:44:40 AM
    KLRC shuttler Sairul aims to bounce back from dope scandal

by rajes paul

KUALA LUMPUR: His name had been tainted and his reputation was in ruins after failing a dope test.

In the run: Lee Tsuen Sengis the other KLRC shuttlerwho hopes to make the cutfor the World Championshipsin August.

His mother cried and he almost gave up playing badminton after being banned for two months.

And after months of anguish, anger and anxiety, KLRC Bhd shuttler Sairul Amar Ayob was cleared of any doping violation.

Now the 27-year-old Sairul just wants to focus on winning the last slot to represent Malaysia in the men's singles at the World Badminton Championships which will be held at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from Aug 13-19.

Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim have qualified for the world meet by virtue of being in the top 10 of the world rankings.

The third and last slot is an open race among Sairul, who is ranked 22nd, Lee Tsuen Seng (16th) and Yeoh Kay Bin (24th).

To earn the berth Sairul must give a good showing in the Singapore Open (May 1-6) and the Indonesia Open (May 8-13).

After keeping mum over the dope scandal and suspension, Sairul vented out his frustration over the painful episode yesterday that almost saw the end of his badminton career.

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) suspended Sairul from competing in the Malaysian and Korean Opens in January when his sample A taken during a doping test at the Dutch Open semi-finals in October last year turned out to be positive.

Sairul went on to win his first Open title at the Dutch Open. A banned substance dexamethasone that are used in medication for asthma and skin disorder were found in his A sample. However Sairul’s suspension was lifted when his Sample B was found negative.

He could have been slapped with a two-year ban if the sample B was found positive.

With the suspension lifted, Sairul competed in the All-England and Swiss Open in March but the demoralised player lost in the first round of both events.

“I did not take drugs to enhance my performances. I felt very frustrated when I was suspended from the two tournaments (Malaysian and Korean Opens). I was punished and my name was smeared even before the verdict of the Sample B was out. My world ranking was affected (he was ranked at the 14th spot then),” lamented Sairul.

“In fact, I was contemplating to take legal actions against BWF and BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) because I felt I did not deserve such treatment. But now, I know that they had to follow certain procedures.

“The worst for me was when my mother called me up crying. She thought I was a junkie and I had to explain to her that I don’t do drugs. Fortunately, my brother, who is a policeman, explained the whole situation to her.

“I am glad that my Sample B was negative. It showed that I did not take drugs. But I will surely be careful of what medication I take in the future,” he said.

Sairul was grateful that his club led by owner Datuk Seri Andrew Kam stood by him.

“In fact, my club sponsored my trip to Belgium where the B Sample was tested at a laboratory there. It was confirmed negative. I was the happiest person then.”

Sairul hoped to repay his club by winning the world meet berth.

“It will be great if one of the KLRC players can make the cut for the world meet. It could be either Lee Tsuen Seng or me. I will be happy as long as one of the club players make it,” he said.

“Ultimately, my goal is to represent Malaysia in the next year’s Olympic Games in Beijing and the Thomas Cup Finals. I am not getting any younger but I will continue to work hard to improve.”

On his chances in the Singapore Open, Sairul said: “I will be meeting China’s Chen Yu in the first round. It will be tough but I will give him a good fight.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Oth...Sairul-aims-to-bounce-back-from-dope-scandal/

Maybe this is the reason why after that BWF wouldnt release the name of the player until sample B results come back

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    BC was down for several hours.

I think it also happened during the Women's Doubles scandals in London 2012 and during LD vs LCW final a few days later.

8. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Yes. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #10209 pcll99, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    big drama indeed until sample B comes out. ;)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are a few possibilities and outcomes to this whole thing.

firstly, no one has officially named Lee Chong Wei as the athlete involved. just someone who is a top player and won a string of tournaments recently. however, the evidences are there, (FWIW) various other media reports already "confirmed" it is Lee Chong Wei, plus the lack of communications from media contacts, as well as LCW's sudden withdraw from the previous 2 tournaments, all points to him.

so what if it is indeed Lee Chong Wei who failed the sample A test?

he still need to wait for the sample B results. if it is indeed a mistake with some medication he has taken or ate something wrong, then perhaps he will get lucky with sample B. given his huge fan base and immense popularity from fans as well as the media, I think it will be brushed off as a blip in the testing and things will be OK.

however, if sample B comes back positive, it will have further implications. BWF and WADA won't be able to help him much as they need to follow protocol. Other very famous athlete with these borderline cases, eg. Alberto Contador (cycling), gets banned. and it will look very bad if anybody make any exception for Lee Chong Wei. not even Lee Yong Dae could escape it.

a positive B sample will likely be 1 year which means he probably get lucky as the World Championship was in August and he won't miss too much of the Olympics qualification. however, a 2 year ban will likely seal his fate and probably career and it means no Rio for him.

as for the actual drug issue itself, it is unthinkable that any athlete would take the risk given the tough anti-doping measures these days, but athlete are judged by their results and it has happened to high profile badminton players before (Sigit back in the 90s). my guess is that it is most likely a mistake, some other medication taken for other purposes. however, the system is strict and do not allow for such, and thus it is the athlete's responsibility to monitor his diet and medication.

12. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    While it is true that no official sources have named LCW as the individual in the center of this, I think the circumstantial evidence (tested positive at WC, AG medalist, top men's player, etc) certainly puts LCW at the center of this.

Also chinese southern daily has reported that the B sample is out and tested positive also (also see post 10171, 10172).

And in all fairness while I don't think anyone really thinks that LCW was intentionally doping, with Zhou Mi's two-year suspension I don't really see how BWF will be able to publicly justify giving a shorter suspension.

13. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Actually there is a way, but it depends on which substance is taken etc.
    If it is clenbuterol which can be ingested via contaminated meat, recently a test has been devised to test if the drug was taken for performance enhancement or ingested via contaminated meat. They take hair samples from the athlete, and of course I don't know why, but in case of deliberate use the hair samples are also contaminated, but not for the latter.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    presumably if a drug was taken over a period of time, then traces would be found in hair samples which grow over that period. A one off meat contamination of a drug wouldn't appear in hair growth as the exposure period is not long enough.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not sure if they'd do that. Alberto Contador was banned for clenbuterol and despite the very minute trace the rule was strictly enforced.

16. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    I guess we will see...is there any word on when BAM will actually hold a press conference?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It depends on the drug. I think there is a list of acceptable medications but I don;t think that applies here. Bit lazy to go look it up. Personally, I will wait for any results and positive ID.

18. eaglehelang

Most likely will be Sports Minister and it would not be anytime soon, as in within a few days.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from what i can tell reading about cyclist, there is very little leniency in doping. and there is certainly history of other badminton players getting banned for what looks like small offenses.

so far we still don't know what drug was involved.

20. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    You can read the case of the German table tennis player Dmitrij Octcharov, who though initially tested positive was subsequently cleared.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitrij_Ovtcharov