Any Funny moments You had with badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gamepurpose, Aug 29, 2009.

1. zipperat

zipperat Regular Member

Sports Instructor
    My funniest moment with badminton when I was 18 playing at a recreational centre that all the kids used to go. I didn't have anything to eat that day so I grabbed a pack of BBQ corn nuts before jumping on the court. While I was playing double standing in front of the net attacking our opponent. I leaped back for a jump smash and I let one big loud rip go off in front of my partner's face while he was standing at the back. The whole gym died laughing while my partner was still on the floor having a heart attack. To this day, we still have a good laugh about it.

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Last Sunday playing doubles I was at the net going for a net kill/smash. Swung too early and the shuttle was falling down. Everyone thought the point would be over. But I manage to recover and do a quick wrist flick to send the shuttle just over the net. My opponents and partner was like...WTF?!?

It was funny seeing their expression. :D

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Nice, have to try this on purpose... Sounds like a nice deception/trick. :D

4. Apache249

Apache249 Regular Member

Student
    I went for a big, super steep net kill. Racket came around and smacked me right in the upper lip because I had no overgrip yet, just a dry, rather worn-out factory grip. Won the point though. ;)

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    my funny moments:

1. When I succeded doing a "volley block" of a smash near the net. There are many occasions of those weak replys where we (I'm playing doubles) are just hopeless and the opponent is ready for his big smash. I just advance near the net, crouch and hold my racket up. Then he smashed as hard as he could and I do that volley block, making the shuttle returns to his court and gives a point for us.

2. those situations where you force the opponents to run and move desperately:
    a. Moving the rear guy from left to right, while the front guy can only just stand helplessly. It's even funnier if the rear guy is old or fat, I have encountered situations where they just give up and put their hand on their hips to breath.

b. all the opponents are at the back when they give a weak reply and i just do a dropshot, and they desperately run, some even dive to chase the shuttle. More funny if they succeeded to hit the shuttle only for us to smash it hard on their head.

3. Last is the "accidental frame hit". often happens when I want to smash. I do a smash but the shuttle was hit by the frame, making the smash into a dropshot, and it;s funny seeing the opponent surprised and scrambling to chase the shuttle, some even slip and fall.

6. Optimal

Optimal Regular Member

Self employed
    Cant believe no one has mentioned the 'split shorts' shot.

An old guy that plays with us was running back for a lift when he fell back, did a backwards roll and split his shorts, think it was the funniest things I've ever seen never mind on court.

And yes its happened to me which is far less comical :p

7. frederic

frederic Regular Member

Pharmaceuticals
    During my childhood, I was playing in the field of our church and I fall on the the field due to some mistakes . And every people were laughing , I felt shy , but this was so funny moments in my badminton playing.

8. pretzel

pretzel Regular Member

yes, I've managed a more than a few times to miss the shuttle on the first swing, but still get it over the net on the second swing...it usually catches the other completely off guard!

potentially embarrassing, but I act like I meant to do that ;)

9. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

1. My racket flew out of my hand while defending a smash. I did succeed in driving back the shuttle cross court before my racket flew out. I think this distracted my opponents and they missed the shuttle.

2. A friend once missed the shuttle when he was the receiver of a serve. With a flick of his wrist, he returned it as a cross court net. Everyone was caught off guard but laughed when he explained what happened.

3. I dived to retrieve a net shot but rolled over to my opponents' side. I managed to lift the shuttle behind to the weaker opponent which caught them by surprise. The stronger guy had to run all the way to the back to drive it back, but it was a weak reply which was duly killed by my partner.

4. Halfway through my partner's string broke and the smash became a dropshot.

5. My opponents failed to capitalize on the fact that both my partner and I missed the shuttle and we are running all 4 corners of the court. My partner missed, I had to cover him and vice versa. In total we missed 4 or 5 shots and over 10 strokes were made. My opponents were laughing so hard that they lost control of the rally. We regained back control after a quick cross court dropshot to the weaker opponent.