Do you think today's greats are better than past eras champions?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by SSSSNT, Sep 8, 2014.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I'm talking about the newer 2000 era players like Lee Chong Wei, Lin Dan, Taufik, Fu/Cai, Setiawan/Ahsan vs past eras players like Rudy Hartono, Yang Yang, Ricky/Rexy, Misbun Sidek, Ye Zhaoying, etc. All in their prime years.

Lets say they all get their ideal perfect racket and using old scoring rules, do you think newer era players will consistently beat the legends if they all play their normal game?

2. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    of coz, totally no fight . evolution of badminton :X

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

They wouldn't just beat the old stars, it would be slaughter....

4. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    My opinion. If the current era players are train exactly the same as the legends than, you'll find a good match and vice versa. However, as with most things in life, you'll want to improve and excel even in sports. Years ago when the current 21pts system was implemented, most would howl and yell about it killing the game and what not.

Today, two sets average 45mins and three sets 1hr. 27mins. BWF is currently testing 5 sets 11pts system and most have already denounce it as boring and so on. Give it time and you'll find it a very challenging system. I play several games on this new scoreline and it's not easy.

5. opruh

opruh Regular Member

Student
    Lin Dan is simply a cut above the rest

6. ezish

ezish Regular Member

I believe if the new era vs the old era players play against each other, it totally depends on the point system. With 15pts system, you have time to test your opponent and find their week spot. People can come back from 1-12 to 12-12, I have seen that happen. But with the 21 point system the game style changed. I think the old era player may have an advantage if they play with 15 point system. I noticed with the 21 point system Taufik's game went down. So, partially it depends on which point system they play and if the old era player can use the most advanced rackets today. Those things will make things different. The racket has been improved a lot since before 2000s.

Also, I hate the 11 point 5 sets system. I think it's pretty stupid. It may be very fun to watch some professional player play but it will take out the strategy from the game. Once someone got a lead, you know they are winning, it will be very hard to come back. Even in 21 point, i can come back from 14-7 and can win the game, it's rare but doable. With 11 points, that will never happen. I need to through the set and focus on the next one. That's my 2 cents.

7. frederic

frederic Regular Member

Pharmaceuticals
    Yes, i would like to say that today's champions are best for the recent times and the previous champions were best for their times. I don't want to compare with these two champions.

8. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Hahaha.....some will adapt quickly, some a little longer, some just dont and that's that. The scoring and play system will evolve and continue to change with the times and as players you either adapt or get left behind. I have been in the game for 45yrs now and have my fair share of playing different score system and each is different and the most difficult is the first time with a new system.

But at the end of the day we all learn something new. We dont have to like it but we all have to gave it a shot in order to play and with time, who knows may learn to like it and eventually love it!