Slice Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by cyclone9, Mar 26, 2009.

1. cyclone9

cyclone9 Regular Member

hi guys,

i have habit of making slice smashes as i can feel it doesnt have power at all.
    any how to practice to hit the shuttle with my racquet head flat?

2. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

when you hit a smash, remember the face of the racket, square it up with the net and you should hit it flat. A slice shot is never a smash as the bird will come out kindda funky and slow.

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yes the slice smash - one of the worst things I had to overcome.

Concentrate on hitting the shuttle , with the racket face facing straight , if it is diagnol you are obviously going to play a slice smash and lose your power.

If that doesn't work which it didn't for me , I asked many coaches and found out I had incorrect technique , and so my fundamentals needed a change - when using the correct technique you can easily overcome the problem.

Good Luck

4. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    What about a crosscourt smash? This just made me think. Don't you have to approac the birdie sideways to do a crosscourt smash? I understand there would be less of a slice, but nonetheless the racket face will hit the birdie sideways.

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yes for a crosscourt smash the racket will be angled slightly.

6. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

angle racket and slicing the racket is totally different. Angle racket still has a straight forward motion. VS a slice racket will move at an angle.

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Just to keep in mind, the racket still has to be flat and squared up to the shuttle upon impact which is no different than if you were hitting it straight on.

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I love sliced smashes.. Could be VERY deceptive and good angle :) . Power only for an fast but "readable" smash is less tricky to handle for for a good defensive players :)

/Twobeer

9. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    A slice smash is really a very fast cross-court drop. The word smash is really very miss-leading..
    A slice drop for a right hander is really just a normal smash action but with the racquet face slicing from right to left instead of a follow through action. So if you were standing in the back of the left hand corner court the shuttle should drop to the right between the serving line and the net.
    This shot is very risky and should only be used to keep your opponent guessing. Used in a match maybe once or twice but should not be part of your normal attacking game.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A cross-court smash is different from a cut smash. A cut smash, when well executed, is almost impossible to defend against because of its almost devilishly 'evil' deception. A cut smash is not a fast drop. A smash that is intended to be hit square to the racquet but is instead being sliced is a damp squib.

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

cross-court smashes, or sliced smashes (which I love in doubles, you can really get a good angle on your smash, forcing them to stay on the defense) are useful at times.

But when you want to crank out a fast/hard smash, slicing is not a good idea.
    My advice to cyclone, try to vary your grip a bit, hold it 'a slighty rotation' towards panhandle.
    That way, you ensure yourself you hit it square one.
    (see gollum's gripguide on this for a detailed explanation.)

12. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Cyclone9, what works for me to is make sure my hand is flat as I prepare for the shot. It sets me up correctly, and subconsciously reminds me of how it should feel on impact.

13. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

It's funny how there are at least 4 posts on cross-court smashes with different names calling it a cut smash, a fast drop, whatever. He knows that he's slicing the bird when he's attempting a smash, hence "slice smashes", but that's not the point.

Anyway, I used to inadvertently slice my smashes too while trying to go down the line, however you could change your grip (if you're right-handed) by rotating the handle counter clockwise a few degrees and hit it that way.

OR

Tilt your body towards the left and continue holding the basic forehand grip (like a tennis serve, tilt the body to the left and bend your back). I actually like what I do with my smashes because of the tilt, a lot easier for me as I naturally do this along with setting me up well to open up my shoulders for the smash.

Point is, easiest is probably to adjust your grip and land with your right foot forward and left foot in the back thus finishing the torsional motion of the smash.

One more thing, if you follow through with your smash, you can try just snapping your wrist instead (watch slow motioned pros hitting a smash, you'll see a "snap back" of their wrists and arms).

Good luck.

14. shosasakigamba

shosasakigamba Regular Member

Buyer
    Decided to revive this old threat from '09.
    With the launch of the NR900 Im still struggling to understand what:
    ''The drop cut smash'' is? Is this something lost in translation?

''One that drops close to the net but wide of your opponent. Increasing the spin to the shuttlecock making it drop closer to the net and away from your opponent.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

just a smash with lots of slice

16. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

I understand a cut to differ from a slice in the trajectory, in that a slice will land further into court, whereas a cut lands a lot closer to the net. Also, the hitting action is quite different. The slice is a long action with the arm, the cut is a short, sharp action mainly from the wrist, hitting around and down on the cork-face.
    I'm sure there must be different interpretations.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think when you get to this level of detail, the terminology becomes extremely unclear. For what it's worth, I quite like your classification. :)

Regardless, I wouldn't pay any mind to Yonex promotional waffle:

Press your opponent deep into back court with deceptive power slice 'driving' tumble net shot ;)