Glassgow Commonwealth Games 2014 Individual Badminton Events

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2014' started by Loh, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: 'Best ever' games comes to an end in Glasgow

Published on Aug 4, 2014 6:57 AM

[​IMG]

Fireworks lighting up the sky during the closing ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland, on Aug 3, 2014. -- PHOTO: AFP

[​IMG]

Australian singer Kylie Minogue performing during the closing ceremony of the 2014 commonwealth games at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland, on Aug 3, 2014. -- PHOTO: AFP

[​IMG]

Performers wave flags during the closing ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland on Aug 3, 2014. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

[​IMG]

Tom Tate (second from left), Mayor of the City of Gold, hands over the Commonwealth Games Federation's flag to Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation Chairman Nigel Chaimer during the closing ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland, on Aug 3, 2014, as Prince Imran (left), Commonwealth Games Federation President, and OAM and Queensland Minister for the Commonwealth Games, Jann Stuckey (right), look on. -- PHOTO: AFP

[​IMG]

The Commonwealth Games Federation flag is lowered during the closing ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland, on Aug 3, 2014. -- PHOTO: AFP

[​IMG]

A banner is held up among athletes attending the closing ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland on Aug 3, 2014. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

GLASGOW (AFP) - The Glasgow Commonwealth Games were hailed as "the best ever" on Sunday as the 11-day showpiece came to an emotional conclusion inside a chilly Hampden Park.

An event long written-off as a dusty anachronism in the modern, profit-driven era of international sport ended with England on top of the medals table for the first time since 1986 and with rich plaudits ringing in its ears.

"The Games have made us all very proud and truly brought our family together," said Prince Imran, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), during a closing ceremony which fused the pop of Kylie Minogue and poetry of Rabbie Burns.

"Scotland, and Glasgow, you really have delivered in every aspect the best Games ever." Prince Imran's warm endorsement echoed similar praise earlier in the day from Mike Hooper, chief executive of the CGF, who described the event as "the stand-out Games in the history of the movement".

(Isn't it an achievement for many of the once-British-colonized countries to be able to assemble every four years to bond again and forget about their colonial history, many of which secured independence from the UK probably around the early sixties. Look at the myriad of colours of skin, language, culture and religion that was displayed at Glasgow, a mini-Olympics of all nations! So there is hope for mankind.

And Singapore got its independence in a rather unconventional way in that it was part of Malaysia which gained independence from the UK probably just before the turn of the sixties. When Singapore exited from Malaysia in 1965 after barely two years, it automatically achieved independence. And the UK was the first to recognize Singapore! :))

2. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

GilMOUR has yet to prove herself. Good work my Michelle, lots of improvement these couple of months.

3. H4rvi

H4rvi Regular Member

pls give me link of final MS match if any body have

4. 100plus

100plus Regular Member

5. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    But I still believe that if you neglect the scams and other negative controversies than Delhi games were far better than Glasgow!!!!!! They had more sports,better opening ceremony, better scheduling of events....

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    C'wealth Games: Shuttler Derek Wong lands silver in men's singles

http://news.asiaone.com/news/sports/cwealth-games-shuttler-derek-wong-lands-silver-mens-singles

Sanjay Nair

The Straits Times, AFPSunday, Aug 03, 2014

[​IMG]

Derek Wong plays against Parupalli from India in the badminton Men's singles final at the Emirates Arena during the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.

Derek Wong landed a Commonwealth Games silver medal for Singapore on Sunday, after he lost 14-21, 21-11, 19-21 to India's Kashyap Parupalli in the badminton men's singles final at the Emirates Arena.

[​IMG]

CGames: Michelle Li wins gold, makes history

GLASGOW (AFP) - Michelle Li became the first Canadian to win women's singles gold at the Commonwealth Games badminton on Sunday as she saw off the challenge of Scotland's Kirsty Gilmour and her passionate home following at the Emirates Arena.
    Meanwhile India's Kashyap Parupalli was a popular winner in the men's singles final as he beat Derek Wong of Singapore in a three-game classic to win gold.

Li, who had caused a surprise on Saturday by beating top seed PV Sindhu of India, was always in control of the final winning the first game 21-14 before cruising to the second 21-7.

"I think I've added a better mental aspect to my game and that's really helped me in this tournament," she said.

"This will mean a lot for Canada and it definitely means a lot to me. I'm really happy to have the opportunity to represent my country.

"I'm self-funded but we have a bit of government funding. We still have to put in a bit of our own money though as well as sponsors.

"That was one of the hardest matches in the tournament and I had to focus really hard.
    "This will give me confidence to push in the World Championships but I will be going for gold." Gilmour admitted her semi-final exertions to beat Tee Jing Yi left her feeling exhausted.

"I gave so much yesterday mentally, and so much concentration that I don't think I had much left today, but I gave it my all," she said.

"I wasn't 100 per cent right mentally out there.

"Michelle played just outstandingly today, she was on fire. She was pinpoint accurate and I just couldn't do anything with it. Maybe on another day I'll have her but today wasn't that day.

"I'm very happy with what I have achieved. Obviously it didn't go quite the way I wanted but we were almost there. This is definitely not the last for me.

Derek Wong v Kashyap

" Parupalli's clash with Wong was a tense affair from the start but the Indian, who was bronze medallist in Delhi, was helped by a noisy support to win the first game 21-14.

Wong came back in the second to win it 21-11 but it was neck and neck in the final game.

Parupalli eventually took it from 19-19 in 61 minutes before ripping off his shirt in one of the most excited celebrations of the Games.

The husband and wife pairing of Chris and Gabrielle Adcock comfortably won the mixed doubles gold medal with a straightforward 21-9, 21-12 victory over English team-mates Chris Langridge and Heather Olver.

"It was pretty much a perfect game today," said Chris Adcock, who is looking forward to a rest after a gruelling fortnight.

"We will certainly take this medal home with us. Badminton is a huge part of our lives and it is hard to switch off."

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

thanks for the post anove, Loh.

One has to feel for Kristy Gilmour
    in WS who, despite a fiesty energetic style, couldn't get going in the finals. Must be tough to play in front of home crowd.

From a Canadian perspective, it is good to see that Michelle Li attributed her sucess to an improvement in her mental game. She certAinly showed better body language and didn't seem to let small setbacks visibly bother her.

That better attitude may be harder to maintain at the higher pressure WC but it will be key if she is going to place well. Wishing Ms Li good luck and iron willpower for August. :)

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Fidget, you're most welcome. Michelle deserves mention for doing so well in the Games and I hope the CAN authorities will fine her more support.

No doubt she has brought honour to CAN by winning the country's first badminton gold and I hope many Canadians have watched her performance on TV and appreciate the exceptional physical and mental demands placed on her in defeating her opponents.

I wish her well in her future endeavors on the badminton court.

9. whyau

whyau Regular Member

IT consultant
  10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Lol that did make me laugh, I think Kirsty did not too bad a job with her comeback the day before and yes the final was a bit one sided.

I think Kirsty being young and achieved as much as she has is rather good - she has a Silver medal at the CWG which is one better than the last Scottish female Susan Hughes who managed a Bronze.

Michelle was always going to get a good run in both the team and individual event and she played a remarkable match that was for sure.

Very enjoyable games on the final day with a great atmosphere in the stadium!