Awl or hook - safe technique to thread through a shared hole

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by amrit88, May 5, 2014.

1. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    I have snapped strings using the string mover before. It wasn't because I nicked it with the tip, it was actually while I was moving the mains with it as per my regular routine. The racquet was being strung in the lower 30s and the string just gave in. First and only time it has happened to me. I only use the string mover for blocked shares these days and it has never failed getting the string through for me. I have snapped mains several times sticking an awl through to widen the shared hole and I find that its an unsafe choice in this regard.

If its a blocked single cross hole due to the mains, then I usually try to widen either the top or the bottom with a small dull awl, whichever is already bigger. The important point is if its the top that is bigger, only push and rotate the awl against the top of the grommet and if its the bottom, then only push towards the bottom. There is also no need to stick the awl so far in that you see it sticking out from the other side of the grommet. Inserting only the tip is sufficient enough to create the effect. I then cut the strings at a sharp angle and push it through. If that fails, cut again, rotate the string and try at a different angle.

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Tempted fate, had to use the string mover, technically a wheel cap remover from a rover. My awl has a flat top, so 90degree ish angle/edges means its going nowhere near my string.

3. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

Just tried this out today, and it made my life so much easier. Thanks :)

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I'm so glad to have helped. I'll get a pic of my method to check its safe. Compared to how much further the awl goes with no grommet, I think it's ok.

5. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Knock on wood =)

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Just wait till you get 1400 rackets in the first 8 months of the year. You will have a few to give you a little trouble =)

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I personally use the awl like a stringmover. Fits in my tool tray

8. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

9. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    The pathfinder is very useful usually for getting the string to come out of the racquet frame from a blocked hole. I use this only while stringing tennis racquets in the off chance pushing the string out with pliers don't work (which it usually does since tennis strings are much more rigid and stiff). The pathfinder is very much like an awl, but its a little bit thicker to accommodate having the string inside the tool. I don't think this would work on a badminton frame as the grommets are too small for the pathfinder tip to fit as well as the gauge of badminton string would be far too thin for the tool to grab onto. I'll have to test out this theory when I have the chance however.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

12. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT