Badminton Singles How to beat someone that does alot of deep clears????

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Aug 4, 2014.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I'm playing against this guy, who is really good singles player. I think he is beatable but I'm not too sure the right strategy to beat him. He does a lot deep clears to the corners.

He has me really pushed back, what do you guy think I should do to try to beat this guy?

Thanks,

Justin

2. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Deep clears as in deep and high (defensive) or deep but flat (offensive)? You would do different things depending on what kind of clears they are.

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Both deep and flat... Mixes it up. But if forced to decide, I'd say more deep high clears than deep flat ones. Does that help?

Thanks

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Deep and high gives you time, so you have shot options. I would avoid the smash unless you're really confident. Try drop shots and clears, especially if you can be deceptive.

How are your slices?

5. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

My slice shots are good. I just feel like I'm getting pushed around with all the clears to the corners. Sometime I think I should just get into a clearing war with him. And wait for him to drop.. Is that a good idea?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

How're your clears yourself? Able to do baseline to baseline clears 50x in a row without getting tired? If not, then you need to train before you get into a clear battle with anyone.

7. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Not sure about 50 in row. Probably about 20-25 without getting tired.

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

For deep clears you might want to consider making an arsenal of weapons from the back of the court. Being dangerous (being able to play attacking clears, drops, slices, smashes, and deception) will stop him from clearing high and far.

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    There isn't enough info about this guy to advise what strategy to take. All you have told us is that he clears well and pushes you back. What other skills does he have or does he only clear all day long? lol :D

If you're being stretched by his clears a lot, it may be that you're not getting behind the shuttle fast enough - in which case you may need to work on your footwork and strength.

The other thing that a lot of people forget about playing people who clear a lot, is that quite often the clears may actually be out as in my experience, these players very rarely hit a short clear (i.e. doubles back service line). So always bear that in mind. If they are out, it may play on his mind and cause him to stop playing as many clears.

10. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

He's an all around good player. No glaring weaknesses. He just clears a lot as stated. what usual strategies can one employ against someone that likes to keep their opponent at the back with a lot of deep clears high and flat clears is essentially what I'm asking... I think I can beat him, but I need help employing the right strategy...

Thanks!

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

you haven't said what you do when he clears, or how he wins most of his points... Also give us a clue as to what level of play we're talking about here!

12. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    When he pushes you far back footwork is essential you generally need it pretty stable to get behind it. I generally clear back or slice drop it very deeply to the corners in the front. If you want to be more deceptive make all your strokes look the same , sounds easy but isn't /:

13. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Some brain-storming (and probing) ideas -

1. As R20190 suggested, watch for his deep clears being out - let one or two of suspicious ones drop, and check to see if he's bluffing.

2. Intentionally feed him somewhat shorter clears/lifts, to entice another clear, and see if he could adapt height/power of his own deep clears to keep them in. If he's other dangerous varieties, this may not work well, but at least worth a try once or twice in order to "understand" him. You may need to do this a few times, to gather/confirm data points.

3. Like everything else, if you find his clears the most troubling, try to deprive him of his option to play those shots. In other word, refrain yourself from playing lifts/clears that enable him to play those clears that bug you.

4. Your own clears might be hit too high (or short already). Check what happens if you flatten your clears, and see if you can cause him problems in getting behind the shuttle and generate enough power. Also check the length of your own clears by taking a peek of where he stands when he takes yours.

If you lose experimenting with your ideas, you can always play another game with changed strategy, right?

14. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys! Will let you know how it goes today. Playing in a couple of hours

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm also wondering where your base is on court (at this point in the rally). If high clears are putting you under pressure, then you might be standing too far forwards.

16. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Hey guys, i lost 21-15,21-17.. It was very close games but he is really good.. My base was too close to the net Gollum, and I did best when getting into a clearing war then smashing one of his weak clears. Next week, will take video of is playing... Thanks! I have confidence that I will win him in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Justin

17. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Try adjusting your base position to be deeper, behind the T line. If your footwork is good enough and your clears don't go to the mid court, you should still be able to reach the net if he plays a drop shot. Do you find yourself reaching the shuttle quite late sometimes?

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, his opponent sounds like a good player. He's probably clearing a lot because OP's base is too far front. Once OP has adjusted his base back, he'll probably play more drops.

19. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

OP, I wouldn't be too disheartened if you are still unable to beat your opponent. If he is a better player than you then you have to accept that and focus on improving your own skills. Judging from the scoreline, there doesn't seem to be a big gap between you two so maybe you can grind out a win if you get your tactics right otherwise you need to improve your shot quality, consistency and footwork.

20. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Yap. I don't mind losing at all. I plan on learning from this. I will be posting a video of is playing in the next week. Keep in mind I'm not pro and never will be but love the game :)