All-England Finals

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by hcyong, Mar 12, 2005.

1. peace

peace Regular Member

Agree hcpoirot:p ...!!!

it is better for LYB not to choose Chen Hong even he just won the AE. I still remember when he lost to Lee Hyun-il in the last sudirman cup final of 2003 in eindhoven.....and because of that, China lost to Korea...because at that time the Chinese MD were not as strong as now....so...LIN DAN must be the best choice for LYB for next Sudirman Cup....

Against Indonesian, Taufik Hidayat, I think LIN DAN can also be played:p ...since the next Sudirman will be held in Beijing, so in front of his public LIN DAN may have more self-confidence......:D ....or Bao Chun Lai is also good for playing against Taufik...but I prefer LIN DAN mostly:D .....his mental toughness has been proved....

Any of you know the head to head record of LIN DAN vs Taufik Hidayat and also Bao Chun Lai vs taufik Hidayat ?

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Here they are :

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    BAO Chunlai 4 - 2 Taufik HIDAYAT
    CHN National Authority INA
    17 Feb 1983 Date of Birth 10 Aug 1981
    Hunan Place of Birth Bandung
    188 Height 175
    - Weight -
    Left Right/Left Handed Right

Year Tournament & Nation Round Winner Score
    CHINA OPEN 2004 P. R. OF CHINA Semi-Finals BAO 10-15 15-3 15-12
    2003 SANYO INDONESIA OPEN 2003 INDONESIA 1/16 HIDAYAT 4-15 6-15
    2003 World Championships 2003 ENGLAND 1/16 BAO 15-9 15-4
    2002 Japan Open 2002 (I) JAPAN 1/16 BAO 7-2 7-5 7-4

Team Tournaments
    THOMAS CUP FINALS 2004 INDONESIA TEAM BAO 15-13 15-6
    2003 Sudirman Cup 2003 NETHERLANDS TEAM HIDAYAT 15-7 12-15 13-15

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    LIN Dan 1 - 1 Taufik HIDAYAT
    CHN National Authority INA
    14 Oct 1983 Date of Birth 10 Aug 1981
    Fujian Place of Birth Bandung
    178 Height 175
    - Weight -
    Left Right/Left Handed Right

2004 DJARUM INDONESIA OPEN 2004 INDONESIA Semi-Finals HIDAYAT 15-5 5-15 11-15
    Asia Badmin Champs 2001 (I) PHILIPPINES 1/16 LIN 15-2 15-3

3. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Sorry if this is mentioned before, but did any of you guys notice that Jane Hancock was one of the service judge during the final? If I'm not mistaken, she was the service judge for the men doubles match...

4. prince_user

prince_user Regular Member

Just saw the men's semifinal Lin had against Wong Choong Hann. I think that picture was taken from that match. Honestly, Lin Dan looked a little slow.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yep, LD is like his protege, it seems he had little confidence for chen, not picking him for TC matches Etc.

I am glad Chen Hong Proved He is the best!

Lin has serious technical deficiencies, and an overreliance on his confidence and speed, without that he has nothing.

I was a fan of Lin at first, and when people first start they are often confident. but when you analyse his technique, they are not very good, and confidence is fragile for anyone!

6. meeya

meeya Regular Member

did she umpire any of the matches? :rolleyes:

7. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

i am an ignoramus. :eek: who's jane hancock?

#287 Anatolii, Mar 15, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  8. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

No. To Anatolii, Jane Hancock was the umpire for last year's controversial AE MD final. She was really famous after that.

9. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

*chuckles* well, no uproar was caused this time. :p

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think Jane Hancock gave Malaysian Lee Wan Wah a yellow card for slow play during last year's AE. He and his then partner, Choong Tan Fook, were on the verge of an historic victory (a long time since a Malaysian pair has won the AE Final) against Danes, Jens Eriksen and Martin Lundgaard Hansen. But that commotion and controversial decision by the umpire during a crucial stage of the second game completely shattered the Malaysians' nerves to enable the Danes to win easily in the rubber, 15-9, 13-15, 3-15. See what a 'nasty' umpire can do to a player's game! :D

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Another way of looking at it would be to say that the Malaysians did that to themselves.

Anyway, we are NOT reviving that old discussion again. :mad:

If you want to know more about that call, there's plenty to be found by using the "search" function.

12. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    the way i see it, no one is trying to revive 'that old discussion'.

so, calm your nerves down, Mag. life is too short to get upset over every little thing.

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I am very calm, thank you. And by the way, I wasn't refering to you. Your post was an (unintentional) open invitation to others to join in the "flame Hancock game", though. :p

14. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Then you must be referring to me. It was not my intention to revive the old discussion nor to cause any unnecessary uproar in the forum. I was just slightly surprised to see her, that's all. I apologise to eveyone.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I took another look at the incident and am quite certain that you are actually right!

The first time I saw the replay, the cameras zoomed in on the line judge (the smiling big lady) who wore red and I was misled into thinking she was the service judge. The service judge, just like the umpire, wore an apple green shirt but at the time of the incident, Jane Hancock's face was not in the picture. As a decision is made on service, only the service judge and not the linejudge can make the call.

This time the umpire, Michael Dahl, overruled Jane Hancock, and rightly so. She had made a mistake as the replay confirmed that Cai's serve was short. Although Jane's pic was not shown during the controversy, I heard her name being mentioned by the lady commentator (Gillian?). And during the prize presentation ceremony, I think she was standing by the side of the umpire Dahl, who was in the limelight instead. :D

16. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hang on - so who did the umpire overrule - the call for whether the shuttle was in or out should have been by the linejudge for the service line.

i doubt jane would have seen where it landed because as service judge she should be watching the servers action. I would sincerely hope that jane hadn't had to make a call at all because she couldn's possibly have seen it. The umprire however should have since he is watching both server and reciever for movement during delivery of the service.

anyway - reckon we've gone a bit off topic her. lol - the AE has been finished for ages, and the swiss open has finished now too - whats the next tourney?

17. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I'm pretty sure she umpired during QF or SF

18. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I'm confused by your third paragraph. How can Jane Hancock be overruled if she was not the one making the call in the first place? It was the line judge who made the "in" call. The service judge does not make line calls.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh, then I'm mistaken again. I didn't actually see the linejudge 'guarding' the short service line on TV and therefore assumed that the service judge made the decision the shuttle was 'in' and the umpire overruled that decision as he could perhaps see clearly from his height.

But I did say the cameras focussed on the big lady, who was the linejudge but I thought she was then in charge of the side-lines, not the short service lines. Perhaps someone who was actually there and witnessed the whole situation can clarify as the TV did not make it clear.

1. Who was actually the linejudge who indicated Cai's serve was 'in'?
    2. Was there a linejudge for the short service line in the first place?
    3. Was Jane Hancock the service judge and was she the one who indicated that Cai' serve was 'in'? Otherwise the umpire can't overrule. :D