New Racket Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by r4indoe, Apr 27, 2014.

1. r4indoe

r4indoe New Member

I play about twice-thrice a week for 2-3 hours, hopefully going to play more. I'm not very aggressive, though I'd like to learn to be. In girls doubles I'm often at the back clearing or lifting to the other back or doing net shots apparently very well, and I set up a lot of shots for my doubles partner. This works fine at lower levels of play but as I go up, I see that lifting is a no-no because of opponents' offensive ability. Anyways, I love to and consistently do controlled cross-court shots. I drive consistently, but smashing from the back is difficult, although at 2/3 court I can do a decent smash. Otherwise, in singles, I'm very defensive, and usually, my style just highlights my opponents footwork. It has worked very well in my school and such, but as I go higher up, I see the need to be more offensive and as such I am looking for a good balance where I can easily control my clears and net shots, but feel better about my smashes. In practice, I feel I can smash alright, but in game, the farther I am in the back, the less I trust myself in smashing the birdie over the net. I have good shoes which I love, and it was great because, for the longest time, I was using orthotics which I was told I needed although I sometimes feel nowadays that they just cause me more pain. I can now play indefinitely (as long as I need to in practice), and no longer feel pain my arches.I currently use a Yonex Muscle Power 21 strung at 22lbs by accident, I think I liked it better at 23 which I had it at for about 2 years, and found it easier to clear with. At first I wasn't very good with it - not strong enough - but I had nothing else and it eventually became somewhat close to a second arm. But I'm not sure if that 1lb makes a difference or if I'm just feeling different. Anyways, I can't find anything on the internet about my racket other than it being head-heavy. I use overgrips from a specialty store in my area and love it as I can feel what I'm doing with my hands. I only play with plastic birdies, although I have tried playing with feathered birdies with my MP21 and it felt roughly the same (nicer sounds though xD). My brother had a Muscle Power 10 strung at 22lbs as well and I kind of disliked it, but never played with it that long because I didn't like it. I have a Nanospeed 100 with the factory strings and they don't seem that loose so I can use it, but I just feel like I can't clear as well with it and it's simply not as strong, but it may be because of the strings. I used my friend's ArcSaber 3FL at 22 or 23lbs and loved it as it was really light and powerful. I'm looking for something like that, but not as expensive haha.I really don't care about brand, as long as the racket is good, but the nearer sports stores in my area mostly sell Yonex, and I'm simply unsure about buying rackets online. I'm looking at $60-$140. I guess I could try a racket demo program at that specialty store where I get my stringing done and overgrips, but it's about an hours drive away and I'm simply unsure about what to start looking at. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks!

2. kiradeathnote

kiradeathnote Regular Member

student
    I'd say restring your nanospeed 100 and save some money. Better strings will do a lot difference. And if that doesnt work you can still buy a new racket.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

christ on a bike! Is your enter key broken?

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

5. r4indoe

r4indoe New Member

I did space it,It just didn't show... o.o I don't know why.
    Ooh... heh. Thanks so much for that and this chart!

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't worry about it... It's kwun updating the forum software.

7. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    If you are not a smashing type who can break the racket by just hitting the bird, you can just change the string to a thin one BG 80 or thinner is good for easy power. :p --- 23 lbs of tension is a good idea as it is the lowest I would want to go for (my physical is no stronger than a girl just so you know :D ) --- About the rackets, Nanoray 90DX, VT 50 Neo are new and power full. A little bit older but lighter should be Arc 9FL, Nanoray 700 Fx, Nanoray 600. Those listed rackets are all balance weight and head light ones. Yet, if you go for the 4U version, they should be fine choices for double and defend single style :p

8. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I also got a problem with the enter thing. I am sure it will gonna show as one paragraph even though I already separate it into different lines. I also cannot press the "reply with quote button" (what I do is right click and open it in a new window). it is really annoying, sigh