Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Awww hope you get better soon. Oh in my video I am the one in the white and red shirt. And purple shoes. Actually have 7 videos from that day the YouTube link has the rest I think.

2. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Please review my game, I am on the farside wearing sleeveless black.

Background. I thought I would never pay again when I had a major injury 1 year back. I tore my knee (ACL) during a football match and was surgically fixed. Lot of pain and trauma-but the luv for the game helped me recover. Now almost back to where I was before the injury-except that I am not jumping any more and very cautious for around the head shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50XTWMYG8_k

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

is this a plastic shuttle?

4. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
  5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I thought it was obvious! :p

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    It's obvious that you are wary of further injury.
    Perhaps that's why you aren't moving as much as you need to.

Here are two random examples - your returns at 0:19 and 5:10.

In the first example, you chose to move slowly because you know you can get to the shuttle.
    But then, two problems arise:

1. By taking the shuttle so low, you are forced to lift.
    (A net return would be killed by the front-court opponent.)

In contrast, had you moved in quickly, you would have reached the shuttle early and would have been able to play a flatter return - a deep straight push to the corner or a gentle push down the line to mid-court or even a tight net-shot - in other words, you would have had a choice of several 'attacking' shots.

But, instead, you transferred control of the rally to the opponent.
    (It's another matter that the opponent flunked the next shot.)

2. By leaning forward to take the shuttle so low, you are putting all your weight on your knee.
    That is unsafe - to put it simply, the knee is NOT designed for that.
    Keep your weight on the soles of your feet and you'll never have a knee problem.
    (Again, this means you need to be lunging forward or moving in quickly.)

In the second example, your body is supremely stiff and you are relying entirely on a wrist-flick to return the smash.

Although this does work on occasion, it fails more often than it works.
    A fluidly moving body enables a great deal of accuracy when returning.
    It also allows you to 'guide' the shuttle to where you want to 'place' it
    (Lee Yong-Dae's and Hendra Setiawan's forehand returns are great examples).

It's awesome to see someone active again after an ACL injury.
    Keep going ... and, hey, ditch the plastic :D

7. |_Footwork_|

Just watched more than one rally and it obv is a plastic...

Seriously: Why do you guys play with this kind of shuttle? If you played with a real shuttle, this game could be called badminton (because you guys seem to play well enough). Like that, it's just useless hitting a nylon-UFO, the one who hits hardest will win. This has little to do with badminton.

8. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the good observations from oldhand & footwork. I need to practice lunging more. When Is tarted back, I was bit scared to push with my injured left leg and ended up abusing my good leg a lot.

About plastics, all my life, played with feather until about 5 years back when I joined this club. We have 26 courts here and players of similar calibre mix frequently. Mavis 350 is the norm here and most are used to that timing. The moment we shift to feather, at least one guy in the team that day may not used to it and miss time a lot of shots which spoils the bird in 2-3 rallies time.

9. |_Footwork_|

Plastics may be ok for total beginners (which you are obv not), kid that learn the game (which you are not) or recreational play in the backyard. Badminton as a sport is played with feathers... It's just a totally different game.

10. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Well if it isn't Jamie Cheung....

Hi!!

11. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

He's got a world ranking dontcha know...

12. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Haha he is so injured in these games! He can't even move properly. Luckily he is better now.

13. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Haha yes I saw.... A load of us from Suffolk could be off to play the Lithuania Future Series, assuming it's not too over subscribed.

Will be a cool trip... booze should be cheap over there too. :D

14. GTAveteran

GTAveteran Regular Member

Wow, no way is this thread still active. I started this thread half a decade ago and didn't even bother to look back at it thinking it wouldn't get any contribution. Whoaaaa I'm glad it has helped people :D

15. Tomus

Tomus Regular Member

my league game

Hi, that is my league game (second level of team competition in Czech Republic) against Jacek Kolumbajew (Poland). I will appreciate any feedback what to focus on, both technically and tactically. I already know that my footwork to front forehand corner is tragical, and also I'm quite often late to rear forehand corner... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9bfLjMHQ6khttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2tmIfCDZwk(I'm the one in the white t-shirt)

#2035 Tomus, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

you seem to take a lot of steps. I think this is partly due to too small and poorly timed split step, and partly due to no/poor recovery step. What I'm referring to here as a recovery step is the small step you take with your racket foot immediately after a lunge - look here at Gade for several examples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We8pAyeobGY#t=390. You should employ a similar thing with both feet after block jumps. Block jumps seem to be another area where your recovery is difficult.

Your forehand net shots look like you get too close to the shuttle by the amount your racket points sideways.

Your posture when playing forehand nets looks peculiar, maybe leaning to the right too much? Your shoulder dips into the shot at 3:28 video 1, but it is much better to start low and push up into the shuttle.

A couple of net kills went into the net - you chasse'd into these shots when they required a leap.

When you play a net shot and back away you don't prepare early enough for your opponent's reply.

Forehand cross court net shots need to be held for longer and executed with different technique.

When you have time on your overhead from forehand side, you should use more body/hip rotation. This will help your footwork and recovery (2:23, 2:28 in video 1)

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Tomus,I watched your second link. One big area for improvement: There was one point that he moved you so out of position he played a cross court net winner, fair enough. He also got a point from a smash but it was right to your backhand and you got a full racket on it. The other point he got was from a clear but I think you left it thinking it was out, but that was it, all the rest of his points were totally unforced errors by you. So really in that game I only counted 1 real winner from your opponent and the rest you just gave away!

18. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    Jump smash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltUzDYNcfwJust a single rally from my last tournament today (I'm the tall guy with yellow shoes). I recorded 5 of our 6 games and will probably upload them tomorrow to get some feedback. We only made 3rd place, which was rather disappointing, but except for the semi-final we played quite well.

#2038 alex292, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  19. henrychenn

henrychenn Regular Member

Student
    I was watching the video of you playingI'm not a pro or anywhere near but these are just my thoughts1. You definitely need a better person to play against, hopefully someone who is just a bit better than you who can teach you things that you don't otherwise know2. Your flick backhand serve looks like a fault at times, can't tell for sure as the quality of the video is low but you lift both your arms up when you hit that and it looks above the waist and a bit off as well3. Your base is non-apparent at times, unsure if it is to laziness which my advice is if you want to get better, Never be lazy4. When you clear to the back right hand corner, move your base slightly to the right to anticipate the next shot being down the same line, if it's a cross it will take more time to travel as it's a further distance, so you'll have more time to get to that shot anyway5. You hit a smash and expect to win, you don't follow it in really, or if he gets it back as a clear you seem to leave it a lot thinking this will 100% be going out, see that it's landed in and think oh what a great shot but that was just your misjudgement6. When he hits his shot like a drop etc your weight seems to be leaning backwards always excepting your opponent to clear i.e. your weight is planted onto the ground and seems like your stuck so you're never going to be able to get that net or drop shot7. When you hit a low backhand serve, this classes as a net shot so you should stay in incase he hits a net shot, your opponent even though he was a lot worse than you got so many points because you never stayed in8. Make sure to get your feet to the position before you hit every shot unless you're really struggling, your footwork needs a lot of improvement9. There is no need for you to hit so many backhands, if you were a little bit faster then you could take so many of them as an overhead which works out a lot better for you as you can see exactly where you've hit the shot when you hit it and anticipate the next shot faster than hitting a backhand10. Make sure when you serve both your feet are on the ground, decide on a serve i.e. forehand or backhand and just stick with it, go and rent out a hall, practice your serves for an hour, see which one is most comfortable for you and stick with it11. I see from other posts that you've won a tournament getting gold, which standard of tournament was it? As there would be players in the U13 category that would easily be able to beat you who are maybe half your height?Definitely getting a good coach will help you a lot, and shadowing footworkThere are other areas I would point out but cannot think of them off the top of my head

20. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    AH WHY WATCH THE VIDEO it was quite awhile ago I did improve I just didn't get a chance to post another video let me read all of this...