2014 OUE Singapore Open SS (Semifinals & Finals - 12 & 13 April 2014)

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / New Zealand Open / China Master 2' started by CLELY, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sinug

sinug Regular Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by Justin L [​IMG]
    So apart from Lin Dan and Chen Long, who else have beaten LCW these past 5 - 6 years ? Son Wan Ho, J O Jorgensen, Kenichi Tago, Du Pengyu, Tian Houwei, and now Simon Santoso.

Count Taufik Hidayat in too (beaten LCW in 2010 World Champ)

2. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

OMG Cant believe this

Super, Super Simon

Taking the title in style

Simply top notch..

Slap in the cheek for Pelatnas :p

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, I should have done that, my apologies, I was disrupted by some other matter requiring my attention and didn't look carefully.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's correct.

5. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    It depends in what point of view do you see it, I agree that it might look Simon prove Pelatnas wrong by sacking him off, but sometimes a little 'shock therapy' by PBSI give him a motivation to be better. That's why I am in support to give 'shock therapy' to Hayom too...

I would say it's 50-50 though, Simon is good to be independent players, and new younger generation can get more spot at Pelatnas too like Jojo...

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

yep. i think only because of independency, he was able to achieve it.. That extra motivation come only when you are independent.

7. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Looked to me as if LCW was distracted throughout the match and not thinking straight.
    Most likely yesterday's match with Srikanth and also maybe the post birthday party celebrations took its toll on LCW.

Anyway let hope Simon stays injury free and maintains his consistency.

8. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Who's Jojo ?? :p

I knew Jojo but she's singer with single 'a litlle too late'

9. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

LCW birthday is yesterday ?
    Hmm too much drink perhaps :p

10. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Anyway, it's good that Simon can proves that he still capable to play at highest level

Keep it up ..

11. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    Kingston Lee First Bday laa......

and Jojo is the Men's Singles first seed at WJC 2014.

12. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Oh I see...

13. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

He could say: "Congrat to SS. Yet to me this is no big deal. I just lost to CL 4 times in a row in the past 2 years, all in 2 straight sets. One of the loss was 14:21, 15:21, which is similar to this loss to SS. I will beat SS again soon, like i just did to CL in the last 2 encounters." :D

14. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

congratulation to SS. hope he could keep it up, so that MS competition will be more interesting.

his H2H against LCW is now improved to 2:9. and this is a good revenge to LCW's last 2 wins over him by 21:7, 21:17 and 21:12, 21:8.

15. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Well, they did release an "updated" version of the Z-Force 2....

16. NathanSimpson

NathanSimpson New Member

Uniiiiiiii
    I may have predicted that SS would upset the main draw, but not to this degree (21-15 and 21-10, wow!)

Has anyone heard of the racket brand he is using, astec? This will be a massive promotion for them if Santoso can continue to produce that kind of result.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually it speaks volumes of LCW's prowess and world standing that every defeat of his to anyone other than Lin Dan or Chen Long is regarded with excitement as sensational, the talk of the badminton fraternity.

Personally, I'm more concerned about Lin Dan's comeback this month as he is, in my opinion,at his most vulnerable for at least the first six months. You can absolutely expect every opponent of his to throw caution to the wind and go all out to beat him in the hope of becoming an overnight sensation and gain instant fame. As we know, for the last couple of months, he was so out of practice and lacking in match-fitness that he was at the CBSL beaten twice, first by Tian Houwei and then by Xue Song within 48 hours of each other.

18. NathanSimpson

NathanSimpson New Member

Uniiiiiiii
    Wow, I didn't know that. I wonder if he's due to be superseded as China's next superstar... I had faith in Xue Song to become great due to his age and some of his results, but he hasn't really splashed on to the scene like I thought (so far anyway!)

LCW has to be credited for being as good as he is for the length of time that he's been playing imo.

19. dieter_spath

dieter_spath Regular Member

finally another old player shows us how to beat LCW convincely. Look carefully and learn something, younger players from CHN, INA, JAP, DEN!

I'm a little disappointed in LXR, not because she lost to WYH and WSX , but because she still hasn't improve her stamina problem, even worse than in MAS SS. Like Zhao Tingting, her former teammate, once said about her, if you take one game from LXR, you gain much confidence since you know LXR's stamina issue will force her to be error prone and victory is jusy a matter of time.

20. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Santoso shocks Lee to win Singapore Open

SINGAPORE: Unseeded Indonesian Simon Santoso pulled off a major shock when he thrashed badminton's world number one Lee Chong Wei to win the Singapore Open for the first time on Sunday.

The 28-year-old, considered a rank outsider against Malaysia's imperious Lee, upset the form book in style with an emphatic 21-15, 21-10 victory in just 48 minutes in the Singapore final.

Santoso reeled off nine straight points to stifle Lee's second-game revival and take the match, dropping his racquet to the court and raising his arms in celebration in front of a bemused crowd.

The third Superseries tournament win for the 52nd-ranked Santoso cements a stirring comeback by the former world number three, who dropped out of the top 100 last year following back problems.

"I am really satisfied with my performance especially after beating one of the best players, Lee Chong Wei, in the final. I am really happy and proud," Santoso said.

"I am really happy (because) it's been a while since I beat Chong Wei and also because I fought hard from the qualification rounds here in Singapore."

It was only Santoso's second win in 11 matches against the All-England champion, who had lost just once this year. But Lee, 31, downplayed the loss, saying it was "only the Singapore Open".

"This is just a Superseries, there are still many other important tournaments. I just take care not to get an injury at the competition," the 33-time Superseries tournament winner told reporters.

"I just tried and just enjoy for Singapore and not go so hard," Lee said.

Earlier, Olympic champion Li Xuerui refused to speak to media after she lost the women's final to her Chinese team-mate and arch-rival Wang Yihan for the second year in a row.

Wang, upset by Li in the 2012 Olympic final, won 21-11, 21-19 -- aided by two critical net points -- after trailing the top seed for most of the second game.

"I feel that both of us performed to the best of our abilities but at one point I was trailing behind Li and on this part I did better as I managed to make a comeback," Wang said.

"I feel that I was quite lucky and I think those two points affected (Li)."

China's Bao Yixin and Tang Jinhua, beneficiaries of a walkover in the semis, upset Danish top seeds Christinna Pedersen and Kamilla Rytter Juhl 14-21, 21-19, 21-15 in a marathon, 71-minute women's doubles final.

In the men's doubles, China's Cai Yun and Lu Kai beat Taiwan's Lee Sheng-mu and Tsai Chia-hsin 21-19, 21-14.

And Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir comfortably defended their mixed doubles title with a 21-15, 22-20 win over fellow Indonesians Riky Widianto and Puspita Richi Dili.

Source - Times of India