Ashaway Quill Shuttles?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by andrew_cherry, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

I have a reply for you from Nick Goode of Ashaway in the UK. He says the following...

''The problem with the bases has now been rectified.

If anybody has had a problem with the bases then please contact us on 01707
    321397, let us know where they were purchased and we will replace them for
    you.

Quill is not the same as any other nylons. They are made differently and
    feel and play differently. If players would like to hold a forum with the
    designer to ask him what he has been working on for the last 8 years (!!!!)
    then please let Matthew know.

We have had many enquiries for distribution of Quill in both the US and
    Canada as well as many other countries but we want to get things moving in
    the UK and resolve teething problems before moving into international
    distribution."

I hope this helps, and if you wish me to set up a new thread where you can post questions to the designer, then please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Matt

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I think it's great that they're focusing on quality control before rushing it to market and risk dissapointing a lot of people like other companies in other industries. Did mr Goode mention when the expected launch day would be for the rest of the world? Would it be available in major sporting stores or probably only specialized stores? I've only seen Yonex, Carlton, Wilson, and Black Knight nylons at major sports stores so far, and they usually only carry one brand. (SportChek=Yonex, SportMart=BK, etc.) I suspect this might be because of some exclusivity contract. Would this prevent Ashaway's penetration into the Canadian mass market? Call me lazy but I don't really want to spend another 2+ hours on the bus just to get to Lee's or Yo's badminton store.

Also Matt, I'm sure we would love to hear how he designed the birdie.

PS. Not to be a style nazi or anything but when quoting multiple paragraphs, you must start each new paragraph with a opening quotation mark but include the closing quotation mark only at the end of the quote unless it is a block quote in which no quotation marks are used. :p

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Heh,

Yes sir! I cant be bothered with all the quotation marks etc, i was just asked to post it. I'll ask Mr.Goode foryou about possible launch dates etc, but need more feedback if i was to start a thread for the designer.

Matt

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey Matt. Possible price points for the International market would also be something I am interested in. And needless to say, this would undoubtedly be the deciding factor for many consumers out there.

Currently, Ashaway UK seems to be pricing the Quills in the same range as the Mavis 370's. Also, they don't seem to be available in yellow at the moment. I am sure the colour issue will be rectified, but I am a little curious about the segment of the market that Ashaway wants to place the Quills into. If they want to de-throne the Mavis 300's dominance in the market, then I think they are really kidding themselves given the current price point of the Quills, regardless of how well the Quills can micmic the characteristics of featuer shuttles. On the other hand, if they simply want to satisfy a niche market (which could already be a very big one) who wouldn't mind paying a little more for the more "accurate" shuttle response, then the current price point makes the Quills a good deal.

Seems to me they are going for the latter. But is that really in the best interest of the company?

-Rick

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Traum, i'm sure the price will come down more eventually. right now they have to adjust their production facilities and possibily bring in new equipment whose costs will need to be offset. Further, they did say the birds last longer. If this indeed true, then the cost of Quills will be about the same or cheaper per game (rather than per bird.)

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Here's an update on the durability.
    It's about 8 weeks since I got my Quill shuttles.
    I only play with them about 1 hour a week (max) so in 8 hours play I've gone through at least 10 shuttles.

These are 10 shuttles with very ripped skirts. (they include the shuttles where the bases separated and were re-glued).
    I think the skirts go faster than Mavis because they are more rigid

they still fly OK, but faster
    a Mavis 300 or 370 would be wobbling all over the place with the same skirt damage

7. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    Can someone answer my question ?

Hi !

Can Matt or someone else answer my question about whether they are good enough to replace a feather shuttle or it is a replacement for only plastic shuttles ?

My club is trying to reduce running costs without switching back to plastics.

Cheers,
    Sean

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Sean,
    I think they are more like plastic than like feather.

Whether they are good enough for you and your club though is something for you to decide. You should get some and try them out first hand.

regards,
    Neil

9. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Just to revive an old thread, this is what I got from Black Knight Canada (BK is the Canadian distributor of Ashaway products). Kudos to BK for getting back to me quickly.

#49 Traum, Dec 16, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  10. Traum

Traum Regular Member

The same question directed to Ashaway USA. Quite frankly, I am a little surprised that Ashaway USA won't be importing this themselves.

-Rick

11. Josh.Yap

Josh.Yap Regular Member