how to win when your partner is too weak

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by reytave, Feb 19, 2014.

1. mannygk

mannygk Regular Member

student
    I've had extensive experience as both the weaker player and the stronger player at serious polarities (it happens to all of us) and, I don't mean to sound offensive, but I have to say that a lot of these comments are coming off as very elitist and will actually not help at all in your situation. Your ambition is admirable and I'm sure that it's going to make you an amazing player but in your posts you speak a lot in terms of what you are doing individually (e.g. "I" have been developing my skills, "I" am the one putting in all the effort) and all of the things he is doing wrong, which means you must have an incredibly antagonistic relationship. This is the wrong mentality for doubles because, regardless of the large gap in skill and motivation that you may have, the moment you both step on that court you become a *team* and it doesn't matter whose fault it is; a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

Practicing the correct technique and maintaining your fitness are undoubtedly essential to be a good badminton player but what a lot of people overlook is how psychological our sport can be. The type of unforced errors that you are describing your partner as making are most likely due to poor technique but they're also consistent with having high nerves while playing. Lecturing your partner during a game will *not* make him improve; there simply isn't enough time for him to change his engrained habits between points! That, coupled with the frustration that he must be picking up from you at some level, means that he is probably intimidated with playing with you to the point that he might be making more mistakes than he usually does. It's terrible because, speaking from experience, you both stop working as the team you need to be, you stop enjoying yourself because you feel like you should be winning, and he stops enjoying himself because he's been made to feel useless.

The only way to avoid playing with a weaker partner is to change to singles or start entering higher level tournaments where you can register with your partner of choice. Otherwise it's inevitable. Changing your formations won't help much because you'll both be practicing the wrong tactics and your opponents will still find a way to target your partner anyway. You have great enthusiasm so use it as positive feedback to boost your partner's confidence! Don't be afraid to give a little cheer or high five your partner every time you guys win a point, remind him to take his time with the serve, and just a simple "unlucky" or "don't worry" every time he screws up (I'm sorry if you're already doing this). If you accept what you have to work with and that he's just not that good, but you make him feel your competitiveness and actually enjoy playing with you, I think he'll start to give you a more consistent performance.

I hope you guys manage to develop a better team dynamic. I know it's incredibly frustrating but we all have to remember that the only reason any of us improved was because at some point, better players decided that it would be ok to let us play with them. Also if you thought that my post is a little too Disney you should listen to the great Lee Jae Bok explaining the same thing but better than I have as part of his coachingbadminton.com youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlVAe1W8040

#61 mannygk, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    yip poon and Alex_Xu like this.
  2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    who cares, you're there to win, not to nurture a relationship, besides, it's not personal, just a question. sorry i might sound mean but if you can't even ask a simple question because someone might get their feelings hurt, then that person is way too sensitive.

the best thing to do is to talk to the person who put you two together, and try to see if that person can partner you with someone else, so the games played will be more exciting for you and less frustrating. :)

3. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    guilty as charged. hahaha! however, i think that LJB is referring only to recreational play. but this is a competition. i'm fine with losing as long as we gave our opponents a hard time to win. however, it turned out to be a total disaster.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I disagree. Lecturing someone is disrespectful in life, not just recreational badminton. You would not see Lee Chong Wei treating someone like that. Ever. You should measure yourself by HIS standards, before you start judging others.

5. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    when u got high lift at the baseline..try to smash harder to the head of your partner until he injured..or try unintentionally hit your partner head during rally and when he injured change other partner :D

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

why not just change partner? must you stick with him / her?

7. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

This reminds me of one of my weekly sessions where I play with an array of players from different levels. While it is just practice, I want to make the most of it and play good games. The 2 things that frustrate me most are:

1. When a player realizes he is with a better player and laxes off (annoying when he starts joking around as well). I feel that this is irresponsible and may be dangerous to my fitness with dives and such at play.
    2. When you have to do singles positioning in doubles practice. I loath this especially because it accumulates bad habits (like rushing forward after a smash because you know your partner is too glued to the spot to cover net replies).

For the first situation I commenced to do half court clears in my partner's area so he gets smashed up pretty badly. Giving away points for sure (it's practice anyway), but he starts to buck up :D. But if a player tries their best, I just try to play tactically well. With the right tactics, I have always discovered the results to be still respectable. It has also been a personal testament that strategy works! Trust me, if you are a badminton fan, this will stir you up to no end and deepen your love for the sport.

My best experience was when I had to partner my gf against 2 trained players early this year, and she didn't quite know how to play competitive badminton. Before that, one of the players even came up to me and boasted about how he trained since 8 and and represented this and that. So I knew I had to try something.

Well, I observed 2 crucial strengths in my gf. 1. She could hit down hard or do pushes. 2. Her background as a sprinter gave her reasonable court coverage (although she was running here and there).

I proceeded to play a kind of mixed doubles where I positioned her in the FC the whole time, telling her that it's simple, hit down in front. Some examples of the adjustments I made were: I assumed a singles smash defense stance when she served. Whenever there was a lift from our side, I also assumed a front back defense formation instead. Essentially I was playing 2/3 singles, which is not that bad. It could've been anybody's game but we actually won the match. Our disgruntled opponents then wanted a rematch and got us beat 21-17. But I was really happy for a respectable scoreline, seeing the wonder of superior tactics, and having a great time with my gf. So I'd say:

1. Analyze your partner's strengths and weaknesses and adjust tactics accordingly. Imagine if I played the usual positioning and therefore had to dance around my partner if she was in the way.
    2. Simplify things for your partner. Give as few instructions too. In the heat of the moment an untrained player won't remember all the details.
    3. Try and make your partner determined and relaxed. In this situation I just told her all she needed to do was hit down in front. In another situation, I had to partner a female player who insisted on taking on mens doubles positions in a mens doubles game where our opponents were both on a higher level then I was. We were outclassed from the start but I kept saying 'One more point! One more!' to which she started responding and doing part of the motivating as well, and we ended at 21-10 :p.
    4. Congratulate yourself when you make good tactical calls despite playing against the odds! Anything is a consolation. A 21-5 may be converted into a 21-10.

8. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I completely understand this particular feeling, as myself, must partner with 60+ yrs old grandpa,... most of the time. Sadly, the losing team have to pay for the shuttlecocks. I've constantly reminding him to stay alert in the front, but he never listened and always wanna stay at the rear court like he had some of those Fu hai feng smashes...which in fact, my wife smashes a lot stronger than his (too bad she's been absent from badminton due to pregnancy, labor, and taking care baby). Now, i've been applying some constant "catch me if you can" strategy. That is, i need to partner up with other players before he come and beg me out of it. Feel bad since literally none want to partner with him in the club. If only he was willing to pay off all the shuttlecock and not split the cost, then i guess it'd be okay to partner but well.... rich grandpa always stingy!

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Nothing wrong with a 60+ yr old partner, unless he's like yours, thinking he is 20+ yr old! Losing team paying for shuttles is not a good method to encourage overall good playing experience. Like you found out, no one wants to partner up with the weaker players. Both sides touch and hit the birdie equally, should be shared cost. Where is your club located? Is it common in your area to have losers pay?

10. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

A 1on1 practice perhaps? If you think you know better and play better you have to teach him, let him know that your clears have to go faster and further on the rear. Challenge him on a singles match, make him run with some tricky placings, work with him on his weak points. If he loses to you in a way that might seem that he's not giving his full effort then this guy may not be as serious as you are to win on your tournament.

When your opponents find out his weakness and plays poor, they will aim for him so the only strategy here is to work with him on improving before the tournament.

#70 Nova89, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  11. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

How to win? One strategy is for the weak partner to be responsible just for one part of the court while you are responsible for everything else. For example, front-midcourt right side. Make sure he's able to kill from there. If not, practice it. Especially look to kill cross court attempts. Even a weak player should be pretty strong when covering just a small area. If you're that good then you should be able to cover the rest.

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Firstly, think abut your partner first. not only his feelings, but also his strength
    second, analyze your opponent. How small or big they are, and how strong are they.

I feel the feeling of being a weaker player. Most time, I would always be told to stand at the T at the front, only move sideways and hit the shuttle if I can, just guarding the net. being shouted if I try to change position and rotate with the stronger player to the rear court or make mistakes. It is also very embrassing when we can't do simple stroke or shots and mess up easy shots.

I then learn and become a bit decent. So I don't really need to be just at the front anymore. one thing I learned fast was how to hit a high clear from the back, and hit the shuttle towards the rear corners. that was my most important milestone in my Badminton Journey. .

When I was partnered with weaker players, I initially thought we could be the same and stand side by side when defending and rotate. But you know, weak players( and some strong ones) doesn't know how to rotate and defend. every shot to his side is a point.

So the general strategy applies:
    1. Strong player at rear, weak player at the front(stand at the T)
    2. Weak player must always hold their racket up with a short grip
    3. Weak player should be taught how to do a net kill with both backhand and forehand, if not, he will just lift to give smashing opportunities, or play fancy net shots that more often than not fails.
    4. Weak players should be taught to only chase the ball in front of them, don't take the bait to go to the rear court, and if receiving serves, he must always try to lift or clear the shuttle.

those are the basics. no.2 is important since he is always in front, no.3 because generally weak players lift or play weak shots that are meals for the opponents. no.4 so you have a structure in play.

I really felt how important it is to teach the weak player to at least do a net kill because he\she can't even kill very easy shots that are high at the net. they usually just lift or play weak shots

the weak player should always be at the front and be told to only move sideways. It really get's on my nerve when they try to be clever and go back only to play a weak shot that is easily smashed, crashing me on the way and our rackets clash.

but ofcourse it's not the right way. I increased my level because my friend who was a more advanced player tell me about rotation, and that I would not enjoy throughly badminton if I only play like that. He just told me 2 things:

attack: front-rear
    Defend: Side by side

The player who goes to the rear is the one who is responsible for the area.

At first the result was laughable as I always seem can't to go backwards and hit the shuttle cock, I would miss, the shot is weak or do a dunk smash to the ground. But that's the learning point.

13. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    Frankly, if you just want to win, don't beg on it. I am facing this situation every week playing with different players. My usual partner is a lady and we used to play doubles against the other men. To me, she is an intermediate player although she had some former training in China. She should be good to most people being a lady, but to me, I seen through her weakness and playing style. I even know when she will loose her shots and where she would send it to.

However, over time, there is some form of understanding in our play and I try to complement her style and cover for her whenever possible. Not always because I am an aging player into my 50s and her, in her early 40s. Most of the players I played with in my company are in their early 40s, mid 40s and a few below 30s. All of them at least intermediate or high intermediate with a few advance like myself. I see the frustration in you because WINing matters.

However, look at this partnership in another light. Take it upon yourself since there is nothing you can do but try improving your play instead. How, play as if you are covering everything if "possible" .. POSSIBLE? try, I did and learn that in my late 40s partnering her. She is not the worse, some guys who are better than her, I got the worse out of it. It will be tough, covering for your partner, but take it as a form of training and playing a game which will lift you up to the next level.

I have learn to adapt and play to whatever potential, no choice. I take it in my stride that I would learn to push myself further so as to improve my game especially in tight situation. Raise my standard by being the underdog. Frankly, I thrift on being the underdog and play far better as I normally would not get any equally match fight if I were to play my usual game. So I tend to reserve my energy and take it upon myself that I am responsible for whatever results. My only aim, sweat it out and enjoy my game which I normal would not get.

But there are days when only 3 players are playing. Opponents attack her only and push her to the back of the court leaving me with nothing to do. The game would likely end up with a score line around 11-13 vs 21 points. Sometime out of no where when we are attacking, she suddenly send a defensive shot lift it 3/4 court or even 1/2 court for opponents to smash. How? She claimed she played else where as mixed doubles, but when partner me, she never show any sign of playing it as mixed pair. So how to switch position? I had spoken to her but it is still going to be the same.

#73 bbmars, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  14. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

I disagree that he is not faulted. This is a tournament situation where something is at stake. Both players including the weaker player has the obligation to work well so to do well in a team. It's like working on a team project and one guy does nothing. If you are the weaker, you should have a duty to ask what you are doing wrong and/or what to do improve, then act on it.

I generally get annoyed at people who have no ambition anywhere in life, but even I recognize he cannot be blamed unless he affects you. I'd still much prefer a complete **** with a will to conquer as a person than a super nice guy with no ambition.

Jilles likes this.
  15. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

This actually reminds me...I once played with a double partner that was so much an ass both on and off court, that I don't want us to win. I would intentionally make the score very close till the end and then make silly mistakes and lose. But when playing against him I don't make those mistakes. That got him very annoyed.

16. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    I still remember when i was once selected by a prominent politician years ago to partner him in a badminton league. The first words that he told me when i came to play with him prior to the competition was make sure that we win and judging by the technique he gripped his racket and swinging style..... I already can imagine the tough task that i'm going through

Indeed all of us want to taste victory especially when participating in a competition but being able to produce the best possible result while partnering with the weakess possible partner IMHO is half of the victory itself despite going down defeated. While half of the victory equation is knowing to have the guts to partner with such player and despite being hammered still has the spirit to encourage his partner.

Playing double reqardless with whom you are partnering is not a one man show once you start to put your shoes on the court. Even if you can strategically find ways to reduce the possibility that your weak partner becomes the target zone while you yourself are trying your best effort to cover him but in a long run it is most likely that even you yourself can be the next target player especially when mistakes start to creep in. Enjoying the best possible way while playing and hope that you can win is the best mental preparation when partnering such player.

SS

Cheung and opikbidin like this.
  17. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    If you've a very weak partner, you can't possibly be in any serious competition. In that case, just forget about winning, and like many had already pointed out, simply enjoy the games. E.g. treat it as a training for yourself (court coverage, consistency, quick changes in shots to get your pair out of troubles created by your partner. This would be your challenge and enjoyment.

18. Jun Wei

Jun Wei Regular Member

Candra was actually pissed off with Sigit many times.
    I ever recall lee yong dae telling off jung jae sung in a match.
    Gao ling ever scold Zheng Bo like a little kid after a match. I saw that with my own eyes.

When you reached that level, i guess it is part and parcel to be lectured.

#78 Jun Wei, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  19. yip poon

yip poon New Member

better change partner...

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO most people must learn something about real 'partnership'. I'm very picky, when it comes to partners, but his/her level of play is, for me, not the most important thing. Here is my checklist:

- partners must respect each other and worship the other, regardless who would win a singles match, when both play against each other
    - partners must cover the court effective, this also means, that your shot selection should be smart
    - partners must talk and act in a friendly and constructive enviroment
    - partners must be flexible and functional, to eliminate the weakness of the partner, you should take care of your partner
    - partners should find a "own game" which works for both, they should develop it together, instead of one lecturing the other
    - partners shouldn't just be focused on the weakness of their partner, they should be focused on his/her strength and create a game to use it effective
    - partners loose together, they also win together. They are strong, they are weak, don't blame your partner, you are a team
    - you and your partner will have good days and bad days, don't be focused on just one match, be focused on the partnership
    - never offer your partner to take only the net and you do everything else. Regardless if XD, WD or MD. If you are so quick, clever and strong, you should start a singles career. You are not a teamplayer

At the end, I know persons, which I hate to partner. That's natural. If you don't want to play with him, just play singles on the tournament. To refuse somebody, to play with somebody else is a mortal sin. I will never do this, but will be honest in the first moment, that it wouldn't work for me because of a specific reason.