Travelling with your badminton racket!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by boyboy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Two years a go, i bring Yonex 951W on my way back from HKG to Jakarta. The security guards forbid me to hand carry my bag and asked me have it checked in as baggage.
    I inform them that there are 4 rackets inside and i am afraid that if i checked it in as baggage, rackets would be crushed. They informed me that they will take a good care of it. However, i inform them that i have no worries in HKG airport but in Jakarta Airport. I am afraid that it will got crushed there. At the end, they let me hand carry it.

Additionally, i also have 951W hand carried while i am traveling from Beijing to Shanghai, then from Shanghai to Guangzhou. No questions from the security guard.

2. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Licin, not all security/custom officers are as lenient as those in HK. And then, from BJ to SH is like domestic flight, security is much less in that case.

3. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Im surprised a few here really need to have their rackets hand carried. I always have them in the big trolley (hard shell). I only hand carry really expensive stuff like dslr and my retina. Clothes likes suits are expensive as well sometimes as exp. as my retina but it can't be helped.

If my luggage gets lost my rackets would be the last things I worry about. It's just rackets. Just keep them with some clothes cushioned in a hard shell trolley and they will be fine.

4. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I think it boils down to what you think is valuable. I will hand carry both.

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, i think it is different if we are traveling for business or for leisure. What i keep in my checked in luggage are clothes, no suit, etc. As i traveling for leisure, no other valuable things in my checked in luggage. I also hand carry my DSLR.

6. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Agreed. That is why i express my opinion based on my experience while i am traveling from HKG to JKT.
    From BJ to SHA then to GZ is indeed domestic flight, however i just write it up in case somebody is wondering.

7. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Haha, maybe we should pull a thread posting all the airlines, destinations and 'baddy hand carrying' experiences. That can be useful!

8. leo11

leo11 Regular Member

Anyone ever carried 8,9 rackets with JetStar AirLine departing from Singapore Changi airport? Should I need to put them all into check in luggage or just hand carry the racket bag ok? :confused:

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

With Jetstar, it's very likely that you will have to check in your rackets. Australian airlines usually do not permit rackets to be carried in-cabin.

10. leo11

leo11 Regular Member

then i must try to fit all rackets in my check in luggage. :(

11. gjoo888

gjoo888 Regular Member

I've always been allowed to carry my racquets onboard with airlines like Cathay Pacific and Emirates. On a flight earlier this week from Hong Kong, two security guards rushed over to me before I entered the security checkpoint asking to have a look in my racquet bag. Once they saw the racquets, I was allowed to proceed and one of them seemed impressed with my Li-Ning racquets and gave me a nod of approval.

Onboard the Emirates' plane, one of the flight attendants saw me put the racquet bag in the overhead bin and said she was worried another passenger might try to put something heavy on top of the racquets and possibly damage them. She then took the racquet bag and put it in a stand-up closet next to the galley. Needless to say, I was impressed.

12. leo11

leo11 Regular Member

How many rackets you always carry?

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Luckily Li-Ning is quite big in Thailand :rolleyes:

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Why do people need to bring so many racquets (unless you are a professional player)? I Can imagine an airline allowing up to four racquets. More than that would be difficult to argue that the racquets are for 'personal use'.

15. gjoo888

gjoo888 Regular Member

Normally I carry only one or two racquets (if any at all), but usually buy racquets when I'm in Hong Kong. The Li-Ning bag I have will hold 4 or 5 racquets though.

16. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    question...

Just wondering anyone tried this lately...I'm going to fly from SG to KL next Friday, via Jetstar. I'm planning to bring along 1 hand luggage + 1 racket in full racket cover. My hand luggage is just a medium size, something like this http://www.suitcases.me.uk/img/ladi...t-bag-womens-holdall-black-snake_3822_300.jpg. Do you think the racket can make it into the cabin?? I tried to find more info on their website, but nothing came up...Btw, my flight is 3K (Jetstar Asia), and it's Starter Fare.

17. Chris_mc

Chris_mc Regular Member

Has anyone had the experience of flying with Emirates from HKG to LHR? Im moving to uk so im wondering if i could bring my badminton bag as a carry-on with nothing else... maybe an Ipad but thats about it in the bag... Any ideas?

The bag is Yonex BAG1422R (6 racket)
    :)

#237 Chris_mc, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  18. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Here's what i ALWAYS & USUALLY do whenever travel, both domestically & internationally.

The rackets (normally 3-6 pcs) will be laid on the hardcase trolley-suitcase (L or XL size). In between each racket, stacked some clothes to prevent the racket clashes each other during some improper care in departure/arrival airport. If you're so much worry, you can buy some bubble-plastic anywhere at very cheap, and wrap each racket with it.

For the bag of the racket itself, i filled them with some extra clothes (in case the hardcase is full), shoes, etc..etc then wrapped in plastic protection at the departure airport.

BE SURE to notify anyone during the check-in process that inside the bag, laid some very fragile items. They will then attach some "FRAGILE, HANDLED WITH CARE" sticker on your hardcase.

Enjoy your flight & some headache free in case the security guards forbid you to handcarry the rackets at any reason at all.

19. gjoo888

gjoo888 Regular Member

I've flown out of HK (not to the UK) a few times with rackets on Emirates in the last 18 months or so. The bag I used was smaller than the bag you mentioned, but holds 4-5 rackets, and not only was I allowed to carry the bag on, on the most recent flight, one of the flight attendants asked me if I wanted to store the bag in one of closets instead of the overhead bins. She said she thought it would be safer in the closet rather than the overhead bin.

Your bag is over the carry-on size allowance, but technically so was my bag, and no one at either the check-in counter, at the gate or on the plane said anything about the size of the bag. I think if you contact Emirates, they would have to say that it is over the size limit and not allowed, but from my experiences with Emirates, as long as it's not too far over the limit they won't say anything.

20. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

Has anyone flown with Jetstar (From Singapore to KL or VN) with their badminton rackets? Can I bring them on board?

Thanks!