Badminton racket GGG- built-in system for changing balance point (BP)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by GGG racket, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Interesting concept. It has occurred to many, but you've gone and done it. Congratulations.

But it seems that with your racket, the faster one tries to swing, the more difficult it will be -- like pulling a resistance band.
    Perhaps that works for a well-prepared smash. But would it not adversely affect a player's ability to perform a smash-return or the quick spike-like stroke that folks call a "stick smash"?

Will be interested to read independent reviews of your product once it's out there. Good luck.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Two threads with same topic content merged.

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    There is the slight problem of the design being illegal. Under BWF rules, the racket cannot be adjusted mid-game by the user.

4. mannygk

mannygk Regular Member

student
    This is great; I love seeing a bit of innovation at the grassroots level. If the price is reasonable then I would be really interested in buying one and posting a review here/ pass it around to my friends in my University's squad. Until then I'll reserve any judgements and preconceptions!

5. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

very interesting if you could successfully achieve satisfactory testing. I wonder if Yonex/Victor/LiNing/etc would start contacting you to buy the patents, and bury it deep inside the deepest ocean. You see, in a long-term vision, these giant companies do not like an all-in-one racket available on market, or else for many years ahead all they could ever come up in a racket is a new price tag and colors and nothing else. RSL achieved these all-in-one properties and successfully implemented it in their Diamond series racket (Adidas got it too in their Switch rackets) BUT only problem is,.. you need to cut off the string if you want to change racket's properties (Balance Point) and attach/detach the metal plate. BUT yours would be superb if outlook is just pure racket without no fancy helmet around the head, but inside the head/shaft lies a sleeping HULK that can be awaken if you're angry to your opponent!:D

6. GGG racket

GGG racket Regular Member

There is no noise or sound during playing.

GGG team

7. GGG racket

Racket have low BP and so does not fell so heavy.
    All is in equation: mass * v2=......
    Velocity is important, but you must not disregard mass.

We tried to contact Karakal for cooperation but they did not response.
    They have lighe racket and our patent would work great together.
    If anyone have good contact with Karakal, please notify us.

GGG team

8. GGG racket

We must explain our patent.
    BP does not change before you exceed head velocity 40rad/sek.This is hard smash.

Below this velocity you do not have any effect.

After shash racket head reduce velocity and racket immediately change low BP.

GGG team

9. GGG racket

http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/

4.3 The racket:
    4.3.1 shall be free of attached objects and protrusions, other than those used solely and specifically to limit or prevent wear and tear, or vibration, or to distribute weight, or to secure the handle by cord to the player's hand, and which are reasonable in size and placement for such purposes;

10. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    4.3.2 shall be free of any device that makes it possible for a player to change materially the shape of the racket.

You're moving material from one part of the racket to another, ergo, you are changing its shape.

11. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

not if the moving part is being done hidden inside the racket (and the coach keep their mouths shut), hence the appearance of racket will always remain the same. Unless,.. of course, the referee or officials decided to test-out and feel the racket itself.

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied

Yeah don't quit your day job and take up law.

Damjan, I'm very curious about your invention, but there's a couple of issues I see with having a 'mechanical' element to the racket.

The first is adjustability. On what are you basing your head velocity figure, and should it not be adjustable? I can imagine individual users wanting varying degrees of head-heaviness as they already do with non-mechanical rackets - unless you are planning on selling different models with different initial balance points which to me somewhat defeats the purpose.

Secondly, where exactly in the weight being shifted to? Most people tend to prefer a 'head heavy feel' racket to carry its weight at the top of the head. If you have the mechanism in the shaft, that in my mind won't work because you are not changing the swing-weight signiciantly.

Finally, in dynamically changing the balance, you're now introducing a variable that the player's physiology has to compensate for. For example, the head speed of the racket will change depending on weight distribution, so players could find themselves getting to the shuttle either too early or too late depending on what stage the weight is transferring in the racket.

I like the fact that you're wanting to introduce some interesting technology into the badminton scene, but you certainly are throwing in some variables which may be difficult to control or for a player to adjust to.

#32 Maklike Tier, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  13. thekong

thekong Regular Member

>4.3.2 shall be free of any device that makes it possible for a player to change materially the shape of the racket.<

Please excuse me if I am wrong as English is not my first language, but it appears to me that “materially” means “substantially” or “significantly” here, but not the actual material per se! If so, it is saying the SHAPE of the racket should not be changed substancially, not the distrubution of materials.

If that is indeed the case, then the GGG racket doesn't break the rule!

But then, of course, I don't have a law degree :)

14. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Well we can all argue the legal technicalities as laypeople, but it's really a problem for further down the track. At this stage it's probably the least of the challenges facing the concept.

15. mannygk

mannygk Regular Member

student
    For these reasons I think it would be great to see some testimonials from people who have already tested the racket for you, as anecdotal and vulnerable to bias as they may be :)

16. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

thats an ambiguous rule on BWF, imagine by swinging you are already flexing the racquet.. upon shuttle contact the frame does flex and change its shape momentarily.... so......

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, no kidding... just look at the ZSpeed... the frame is specifically designed to flex at around 3 and 9 o'clock. I'd imagine there would be a significant material change in shape of the frame at impact.

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Absolutely the rule is ambiguous, but ambiguity leaves things open for lawyers to make money, and we want to avoid that at all costs. :)

I'm with you on the Z-Speed. I was surprised when it came out because of exactly the design feature you mentioned, but as there are already rackets on the market such as the Gosen Aermet series that has a specifically designed flex point in the shaft that having one in the head is effectively the same thing.

As with the 'Hawkeye' style line call system, I think as with many things BWF is way behind the 8-ball on these rules. They're way too ambiguous and I'm not sure exactly what the point of them is in the first place.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

So the weight is in the shaft? when the shaft bends does the spring and weight not jam up?

20. GGG racket

You can make a test. I assume you have two identical rackets.
    Tapa weight(10g to 15g) on the shaft, on one racket near the handle and on the other near the head. We all know results. And now you have all in one racket.
    When you have low BP you have stable racket for defence, net playing.....
    When you swing very hard you have high BP.

GGG Team