Badminton calorie burning

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hardeep_21, Apr 26, 2007.

1. KELVIN HO

KELVIN HO Regular Member

BUILDER
    You can see the BADMINTON guys are much thinner than the TENNIS players who are more bulky...This is due to the fats of players being burned off more like those MARATHON runners ....

And don't be mistaken ...bulky muscled guys cannot play good badminton mostly because the muscles carry too much weight and slow down these guys .....too ..

2. KELVIN HO

KELVIN HO Regular Member

BUILDER
    absolutely right !! If you are not fit and you play aggresive badminton == one can suffer heart attack and die ....

There are a lot of incidents of badminton players who died while playing badminton...I don't think I hear anyone die while playing tennis !!!
    So BADMINTON is not as easy as the West think !! They have truly underestimate the intensity of the SPORT OF BADMINTON ....

3. KELVIN HO

KELVIN HO Regular Member

BUILDER
    I think the DATA shown on calories burn on badminton is for young beginner kids level.....

THERE must be DATA FOR CALORIES burn for

CHILDREN
    TEENAGERS
    ADULTS
    PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS
    CLUB PLAYERS
    SENIORS
    ETC..
    WOMEN
    LEISURE BADMINTON
    COMPETITIVE BADMINTON
    ETC

IN order to get the CALORIES BURN data correctly !!

THE DATA shown here is just too simplistic and lack details .......

4. KELVIN HO

KELVIN HO Regular Member

BUILDER
    GOOD GOOD GOOD !!!

1 HOUR OF INTENSIVE BADMINTON AT HIGH INTENSITY = - 1200KCAL !!
    MOST PLAYERS cannot last playing 2 hours of BADMINTON in HIGH INTENSITY LEVEL !!

IN TENNIS = players play long hours because the INTENSITY is not there !!

TO BE HONEST == I think TENNIS is a LAZY GAME as compared to BADMINTON ..

YOU CAN TRY == to play 1 hour of HIGH INTENSITY BADMINTON vs 1 hour of TENNIS HIGH INTENSITY

TENNIS is just POWERFUL SERVES and RETURNS are just block shots ....and then FOREHAND AND BACKHAND shots are swing ones..
    BADMINTON = IN smashes One have to smash like mad !!! and move like a rat SPEED!!

5. flipemthebird

flipemthebird Regular Member

Sales
    I think badminton players need to stop badmouthing other racket games to give our sport validity. Tennis can be exhausting. Try playing a 5 set match (not 3 games to 21) in 35C weather (tennis is played outdoors) with high humidity, and tell me tennis isn't high intensity. I play both sports. They are different. You will not really get fatigued in the upper body playing badminton for hours. Try hitting a tennis ball over 2000 times in a 3-4 hour timeframe, and see how your body feels. You're also swinging a racket that is 3-4x heavier than a badminton racket.

Tennis isn't a lazy game, otherwise they'd look like baseball players. We don't need to criticize.

6. bjork

bjork Regular Member

I used to play badminton in my teens and quit playing at the age of 15. After a wild 22 years of wasting my life i started badminton again at the age of 37 and right now i am 44. When i started playing badminton again at the age of 37 my weight is 50kg and just within a 3-4 months my weight shoots up to 65kg and stays there(I'm 5'8). I am actually much leaner than before, with enough energy to compete with the youngsters in my group(avg around 25yo). The only difference in my diet is i drink around 1liter of fresh milk daily as that is all that i can afford.

I sweat heavily and I could easily lose 1-2kg of weight after my hard sessions, and it seems that the milk helps me recover the losses the next day. I'm sure I burned lots of calories during all my sessions and yet i gained almost 15kg in 3 months just by playing badminton regularly, but the good part .. it stays there for years and I think i look much better now.

7. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

its not purely that. being lean helps you move faster THUS the players try to stay lean and strong, doesn't have to be the other way round

8. KELVIN HO

KELVIN HO Regular Member

BUILDER
    Its not badminton players try to stay lean.if u are bulky like tennis players u can't play excellent badminton ur movement will be affected.

Tennis is a more lazy game but financially more rewarding because of us n European sponsors pay good $$$ for tennis.

badminton being a asian dominant game is less rewarding financially.

Its harder n less rewarding in badminton as compared to tennis.

9. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    I have been monitoring my badminton sessions using a heart rate monitor for over a year. I am an average player and an intense 2 hour session (about 10-15 games depending on the day) runs me about 1500 to 1700 cals. There are also breaks between the games as I play in a in club. Most of the effort is in footwork. If I don't play any shots and just do shadow footwork, I burn around 70-80% of cals. (It is empirically calculated over a 30 min period using ratios and no I didn't do shadow footwork for 2 hours).

I am 5'10 around 220 lbs and an average player - playing for 3 years.

10. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    One thing that I will say about badminton is that it's burn should be equated to interval training. There is a lot of stop and start. Not a lot of running continuously.
    I can see my heart rate graph dips based on games and rallies. It is quite squiggly. Of I see it just on running, it is pretty straight line (not flat but straight).

11. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

Time for some real data. My dietist asked me to monitor my excercises for a week with a SenseWear a while ago.

Sunday morning: 1000 CET -> 1300 CET
    3 matches, all of competitive intensity: 883 Cals burned.
    Thursday evening: 2130 CET -> 2330 CET
    2 Matches, all of competitive intensity: 717 Cals burned.

Basically, you can easily burn 1K worth of calories when you play around 4 decent matches.
    It still greatly depends on intensity though. Some matches require you to go very deep, which will result in a higher amount burned.

Don't get fooled by the scale though. The day after, it will always show a much lower digit because of loss of water. I can easily get 1Kg lower the day after a badminton session (even with drinking 3L of water during and after)

12. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I wear an HRM when playing and in an average 2 hour club night I can burn anything between 800-1200 calories. For matches it's usually higher than that, and for singles I can burn close to that in just one hour!

13. KELVIN HO

KELVIN HO Regular Member

BUILDER

YES !! One should seriously look deeper into BADMINTON to know exactly how much calories is BURNED!!
    As you SAID 2 matches high intensity MATCH 717 CALS BURNED means on 30 miniutes probably !!!
    SO BADMINTON is really a TOUGH GAME unlike TENNIS 1 hour also not very difficult !!

14. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Who cares about calories burned? I'm not a anorexic fitness girl, so wtf?

And please stop talking **** about tennis or other sports you know nothing about!
    I've played tennis and (still) badminton on a competitive level and tennis is of course different, but not less demanding (and technically harder to learn by the way...;-))
    So do yourself (and our sport) a favor and stop talking brainwashed ****...