Badminton Shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by manduki, Mar 2, 2005.

1. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I hate to bring back another old thread but I've searched many threads on this including debates between badminton vs basketball shoes, badminton vs volleyball shoes etc. I've also read threads stating that shoes one of the most importnat part of badminton-even more so than the racket.:eek: However, I also saw several posts stating that badminton shoes are bad for your knee joints and legs. :confused: I wish to play this sport for a long time and is willing to invest a few dollars into buying a pair. However, if this will rather restrict my playing, I would rather not buy it (im not too rich);). I'm 16 and body is stil growing so if i damage my knees, I'm afraid I would never be able to play the sport again.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    all sport activities wear down body parts :eek:
    it is ur footwork skills and body mass that determine whether u will wreck your knee before retirement or not.

3. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Well, my footwork=poor
    height is around 172 cms
    weight is around 135 pounds
    BMI is 17% (i think)

So should I practice footwork before purchasing one? Am I wearing down my knee with my basketball shoes?

Thanks for your replies ^^

4. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    To prevent that its safer to get a knee guard and you prolly dun even need it later on after u have mastered you footwork

5. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

I think i read in some threads that you can injure your ankle by wearing basketball shoes because of the high sole. Please correct me if i`m wrong.
    And i think basketball shoes are a bit heavy...
    But i`m not sure if i`m right.

6. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i thought supports and braces were only used after you've injured yourself. :rolleyes:

i use indoor soccer shoes. nothing fancy. but its flat bottomed, thin, gum soled, and lightweight.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    -your BMI is actually better than average.
    -poor footwork does not automatically mean damaging to the joints
    -basketball shoes are ok for training badminton, they should have more cushion than the lighter badminton shoes.
    - if ur worrying about your knees, pay attention on learning how to decelerate, and landing from hops and jumps.
    - train on rubber mats, next best is floating floor system. Avoid concrete floor.
    - due to heredity, some people could still experience knee problem even if footwork looks ok on the surface but good footwork should reduce the severity of damage for these people.

#7 cooler, Mar 3, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  8. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    I see. Well, my mom has knee problems and my grandma has knee problems and apparently, my dad's side's grandmother has also had knee problems:eek: Im doomed;). Well judging by the previous posts and the replies I received from this thread (thank you:D ^^), I should buy a pair and do drills with them to improve my footwork. (I thought that the basketball shoes would be bad for footwork drill cause of the high soles). I hope I got it right:). Now i think that some decent shoes are around $60-70 CDN? Please correct me if I'm wrong and inform me if theres a sale on these shoes!!:p

Thank you for your replies ^^

9. onegoodsoul

onegoodsoul Regular Member

Student
    Based on the height and weight measurements you've provided, your BMI is 20.74 , which is good. ;)
    (btw, 17 will be very very low, unhealthily underweight)

well, personally i wouldnt wear basketball shoes for badminton, becos of their weight and very thick soles. Especially if you're not adept at footwork yet.

Knee support/guards have preventive as well as protective purposes.
    Another suggestion will be ankle support/guards. The amount of pressure you put on your ankles when lunging forward/landing/sudden change in direction/pushing off etc is immense.

Have fun~:D

10. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

My suggestion: Don`t buy cheap badminton shoes without dampening and with thin soles.
    I bought victor 3000 combat for 35 €. They broke after 3 times usage. and it`s a pain to wear them...

11. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    o_O i see... so i guess basketball= a big no no. However, I'm a little reluctant to get knee/ankle support as I'm only 16 and it would sorta look weird for me to wear them.

My BMI's over 20? ^^:D

12. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Hmm I see. I thought Victor was a quite reputable company... So if $60-70 would get me a bad shoe, which ones would be nice? I checked out some Yonex, Mizuno ones and they all seem to be around $125 CDN. Are those the only ones considered buyoing worthy as in the other threads, they have only mentioned high class "brand name" shoes.:confused:

13. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    dun judge shoes by brand, judge by quality. Im using Mizuno Wave Gate, cheap yet awesume buggers.

14. onegoodsoul

Student
    how cheap is cheap? :D

got lobang must share horz... (translation: please share information on good deals) :p

15. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    Selling for around S$60-70 at Flymax shop in Tampines and Hougang sports hall :p

16. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

If dedicated badmin shoes are out of your budget, your options are:

1. Volleyball shoes eg Mizuno. Check Canuck Stuff website, some shoes are on sale.

2. Check Sport Mart. Entry level indoor court shoes ie. Asics Gel Rocket II for CAD$80.

3. Use inserts such as SOF SOLE Comfort - as suggested by other BF'ers.

17. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

unfortunately BMI isn't a good indication, since BMI doesn't account fo rhow that mass is accumulated, muscle or fat...

i'm about the same height as maduki and he has an extra 10 lbs.
    and i think i'm in great shape. very physically fit.

i think being light weight allows me to prance around the court easier, with much less stress to my joints. :)

a pair of good shoes is worth its money. since it won't be worn anywhere else, they should last quite a while... so unless you're a sasquatch on your feet, i'm sure the investment is good if its possible!

#17 chickenpoodle, Mar 5, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  18. Ralph Pabelico

Ralph Pabelico Regular Member

Suitable Badminton shoes?

I own these tennis shoes and I don't have the money to spend on badminton shoes at this time so I want to know if these shoes are suitable for play. As posted in my 'Looking for shoes' thread:

19. onegoodsoul

Student
    Is this cheaper than prices in Queensway?

oh, i meant the BMI is good ie in the 'acceptable'/healthy range... didnt mean it's good for badminton.. ;) (that would be dependent on whether the weight is mainly muscles/fats like you mentioned)

I'm light weight too... i weigh 116lbs, height 168cm... hehz~

20. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Is there a badminton shop near Queensway? I thought the closest one was Markham- Yo's. Please inform me if there is a store near mississauga