Custom-made racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by beermonstertw, Nov 30, 2013.

1. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

Do you know any manufacturers who would do custom-made racquets?How much are they asking for one order?A bunch of coaches here in Taiwan order their racquets directly from workshops.I've never ordered before,how do you like your custom-made racquets?

2. beermonstertw

Fourty bucks each.A minimum of one hundred of one kind.They used to be thirty dollars each.40T&Kevlar.There're quite a few manufacturers would do custom-made racquets.

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    The problem is the 100 rackets part :)

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    100 rackets.. I think it is too much for one person? (except you will sell it and ask people to use your spec).
    maybe I will only gonna buy 5-8 rackets in a lifetime. which costs me at around $1600, compared to 100 rackets: $4000 (it is not cost effective, but hey, it's like in the supermarket, buy 3 alarm clocks for price of two. except I am a heavy sleeper or needs to share it with other.. no, 1 is enough)
    but that looks nice, $40 for a racket with material T40 and kevlar

5. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    Try Customworqs. I believe they're based in the UK but you can be pretty specific about what you want from the racquet.

6. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    My friend used Customworqs and still uses his racket now. Very good quality, it takes around 3 weeks or so to arrive, well packaged and good value for money.

Overall, excellent quality but you need to know what specifications you want.

I've also tested a range of these rackets with the guy who created Customworqs who is an ex international player. They were all excellent.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

7. qutadelues

qutadelues New Member

I believe they're based in the UK but you can be pretty specific about what you want from the racquet.[​IMG]

8. beermonstertw

I must say that manufacturers and business men are sneaky.Once they smell that you don't know much about racquets and the sports;they start fooling you around.Often,they start conversations by beating up the bushes and start fishing you.It's wise to join them during the process and the quality check.They usually cheat on material.Lots of manufacturers who make good racquets go to big company and start a series of racquets.I started this thread for two reasons.One is,I want you to know that a good racquet cost you only thirty to fifty bucks;the business men make a great fortune in this business.One is,I want you to be knowledgeable;that you always have options.People send you a couple of racquets to do reviews and advertisement for them,Kwun,you would have asked a million dollars for racquets ,and one third of million dollars for the reviews of strings and accessories.

9. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Nice materials . That's why the fake yonex grade A play really well

10. beermonstertw

I've never bought fake racquets;racquets made from fake yonex manufacturers.Not to mention yonex racquets made by,of,in Taiwan. Don't buy fake racquets and We know that business men want to make a profit by selling fake yonex racquets.People sell a lot more no name racquets than fake yonex racquets.It's true the first fake yonex was probably made in Taiwan,but I never like yonex racquets despite the fact that I have bought many of them.The salesmen know exactly whether it's fake or not,if they don't tell you the truth,well.......there's nothing I can do about it.You can always ask people around,spend some time talking to members other than your club member.Sneaky businessmen are everywhere,so you wait until it's all clear before you make the bet.This is what I would suggest to out smart them because they move around.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The business men would only make their money through economies of scale. There are also the suppliers and redistributors. They make their margin by offering a service.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

A racket only costs 30-50 bucks to make, sure, but for some reason this upsets a lot of people, who then say "so why do I pay 100-150 bucks for a racket?" The answer is simple; everybody who helps along the way earns something.
    First is the brand that order a series of rackets, there're cost for Research and Development, costs in designing, branding and advertising. Plus, they bear all the risk investing large ammountsof money into a new series, if it fails, the company loses money.
    Secondly, there're distribution costs, getting large ammounts of stuff to and from the company to ther respective dealer.
    Thirdly, the dealers who sell to webshops take a cut, and lastly, the selling webshop.
    The entire chain doesn't function if they don't earn something for it, so step by step your racket gets more and more expensive

13. beermonstertw

It's the fact and truth I was talking about.I'm from the world where it fills with lots of manufacturers,you are from the world where the market is mature,I mean,you have many varieties too choose from,I don't have that.I pay less for a racquet,you pay more for a racquet.we both have advantages and disadvantages.Con men and business men target the beginners because they don't know what they're buying.Treat the people right,they've got the rights to know the truth.

14. beermonstertw

You sell no name racquets,birds and accessories here has absolutely nothing to do with me.I know exactly what you're doing under the table and business men are coming to you telling you that they are standing right behind you,they're having you on and having you twisted in their fingers.That's business,that's life.

15. beermonstertw

You don't want me to come,let me know,I won't come again.

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't quite follow you? Is your comment directed at me? Because I just honestly don't know.
    All I know is this: people make rackets, brands ask these people to produce for them. Every step in the product cycle has to earn something to make it worth their while, it's capitalism.

17. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Beermonster, I understand your sentiments about being wary of 'businessmen'. There are lots of problems with capitalism and you are right to be concerned about them. Brand and intellectual property theft is a huge problem for the larger manufacturers, but unfortunately in the race for profits in the places where IP theft is most prevalent, there is no effective protection, which is why you never hear about Yonex suing anyone for making fakes.

The main problem is of course, us. People are constantly chasing the lowest price possible, and we accept a 'fake' experience by buying 'fake' products, thinking that we're clever because we got a 'good deal'.

With the rise of e-commerce, we're in a new phase of ways to do business and to design and make products. Old production and distribution methods are losing relevance and it's becoming easier and cheaper to buy new products. Things are changing pretty fast.

I think the key to the future is to 'vote with your dollar'. If you find something you like, be vocal about it. Be honest in your dealings and share your knowledge and engage. If we all do that and support the people doing interesting things (like RKEP Eric and our own Dan Chien) then I think the future of the badmintion world is going to be an interesting and colourful one.

#17 Maklike Tier, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014