How to change contact point

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yeahehehehe, Nov 21, 2013.

1. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

I think i have the noobest question , but i still dont know how to change my contact point. I have been doing numerous backhands and smashes attempts but about 80% of them turns into a clear. I havent seen much stuff on contact point and that so i dont know. Pls help me :)

2. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Various reasons, but as i say i hate being ambiguous... as most of BC members are.
    MOST GENERAL CAUSES IMO: String/Tension might be to sensitive for your play, or your hitting the shuttle to low (at a low point) but back to your point: how to change contact point. Adjust your timing is pretty much the most essential method, so pretty much ur making contact with the shuttle to early or to late, believe it or not it can be either. Uhmm apart from buying new rackets to adjust for this like a wealthy guy :p U can try significantly dropping the speed of your smash, to say around 60-70% power, and then test different timings until you get it right, then PRACTICE that rhythm so it becomes habitual. hope this helps.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    strike the shuttle in front of you, i think that's one of the most important point.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

get a coach to watch you. You're telling us it's the contact point, but maybe it isn't, or isn't the whole story - get a coach! (or at least post a vid)

5. yeahehehehe

Im gonna get one this summer, i mostly hit the shuttle to my right(forehand smash) . Im afraid of striking the shuttle a bit late, it makes me feel i already missed the shot. One more thing, all my smashes are getting out, they always go flat, contact point problems again. Any way of making it steeper even with a little drop of power? Im using right now a wish carbon 909, getting JJS.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

As jencon mentioned above, just reduce your power and speed first to fix your technique and strike point first.

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    or get someone to videotape you while you play a game and then post in the self video section for critique :)

8. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

yeah as i said, can be tension and or type of string.. but generally its just a timing problem, so best to reduce smash power as i said before, and trial it until you get it right. Try not to jump as well, people dont realise that jump smashing is significantly more difficult than they think. You can't just jump and smack it, you need to transfer the momentum from legs to body, to racket, and you also need to have an exceptionally strong core, and leg strength to be able to jump with 100% stability.

9. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

find this video very enlightening. it points to a very common mistake alot of people make on the overheads. dont worry about it being a tennis video, just try to understand the mechanics of the stroke. the body will naturally adjust to the correct contact point following correct mechanics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgmNag6Ebyw

10. Heong

Heong Regular Member

A few reasons for accidental flat smash/clear that can be: -

Not hitting shuttle from infront of the body.
    Not enough racket angle into the shuttle when performing the smash.
    Or not taking from the highest point of contact.

The easiest way to help yourself find out why is: take video of yourself smashing

Make sure your point of contact is on-top slightly infront of your body and make sure your body and your swing is following through in a forward motion.

I'm no professional, but just speaking from experience that might help.

11. yeahehehehe

I think my technique is not correct , i will try to change it . Mentally , i really dont hit the shuttle at it's highest point , it makes me think im hitting the shuttle FLAT and it will go out . So instead , i hit lower.
    One more thing with the front thing , i also dont , i cant really explain it . I'll try to video myself when i have time .

12. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Either way. Keep practicing is the key to working out your problem.

Have a coach or someone who can play to stand beside you and watch your strokes.

13. yeahehehehe

i always practice , every other day . need to adjust my technique , gonna notify you updates once i applied what you said :D

14. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

make sure you are practicing correct technique, otherwise it is just reinforcing bad habit.