bad partner in doubles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ken3682002, Feb 16, 2005.

1. ken3682002

ken3682002 Regular Member

recently i partner a friend to play doubles and as for me i consider myself an average player and when i am in court i do take the game seriously so that everyone really enjoyed the game of badminton.This friend of mind is not a good player,and for him playing badminton is just to sweat out so during the game he can realy made a simple mistake even high birdie above the net he can miss!So i did give him some commend about his playing which i feel he doesnt take the game seriously and his anger reply was nobody perfect! Immediately 1 question strike in my, do u play badminton just to sweat out or u play badminton because u enjoyed every moment of the game?

2. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    re

Hi,

Actually what i think every people has their own mentality.
    We can't force them to change like ex; relax to serious.
    like me, we will see opponent and change mentality.
    just change parnter, no use quarrel.

ceng

3. ken3682002

thanks for yr reply cengsc,that what i did, i purposely made a few mistake by hitting the birdie out and finish the game but i feel bad!i realised that in doubles yr partner attitute really affect yr playing and for me i just want to hv a good satisfy game,wining or loosing does not matter. do u know what he says? i cannot afford to loose??

4. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    so if he doesn't want to lose and he is having such an attitude to play.... ummmm.... somewhat of a bad combination.... but I know what ya mean.... just stop playing with him.... or play against him.... cause he is showing bad sportsmanship....

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

guys, lots of people play for just as many different reasons.
    its just a game.
    there are times to play seriously, some days to play for fun and laughs.
    like all other things, its a social activity, and socializing is what will come of it.
    there is a time where we approach this game for more than friendship, but that is when the serious times are for.
    for aall the other times, its a place to go to spend some good times with friends, is it not?

differentiate between these times and everyone will find the game much more enjoyable.

6. ken3682002

thanks takahira! after hearing yr commend i feel better and you are right,play against him is better than partner with him and do u know what the other partner also hv an argument with him by making silly shot!Before that i thougth maybe i was over react but i think most of u guys do put yr afford to have a good game. Is it rude to a sound yr partner when he is not concentrate and making silly shot?

7. ken3682002

maybe you are right chickenpoodle,different people play for different reasons but isnt it better to laugh or socializing when u r off court? In this case maybe we can respect the other opponent who really what to have a good enjoyable game?

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

well, possibly, but its what some people choose to do for their recreational past time.
    instead of sharing laughs over a beer and a bad movie, a hockey game, playing cards, or whatever else some like to do, some choose to do it it over a fun and non-competitive game or something.

perhaps being still a student, and being friends with like-minded individuals (its how we all find friends, right?) its easier to end up over at the courts during long breaks between or after classes. this might skew my impression of things, but we still have our competitive and serious times. thats when the friends in our group who wish to keep it light will move to the adjacent court, or sit back and enjoy the show.

there are lots of opportunities for enjoyable and serious games, and i will criticize those who spoil the fun by not minding the times, but i guess it is up to the individuals to find proper times that are different from those who wnat to just "play for fun". we have to share the courts, afterall, even though it does get annoying at times...

we just have to bite the bullet, and grin and bear with it.

i just choose to go with whatever is going on. keeping things simple is better, i think. if the guys want to play for fun, maybe practice only certain shots and placement. fun games tend not to keep score anyway. treat it as unlimited opportunities to practice drops or something. also excellent opportunity to practice footwork, since lower skilled players tend to have erratic play styles and placement, forcing you to always be on your toes!

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    everybody does that....from the 5 year-old beginners, 25 year old pros to 70-year old veterns:rolleyes:

no-body is perfect, they can't always 100% put away a net kill

don't get stressed...its only a game:confused:

10. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    I like playing with a bad partner, it makes me play twice as hard which improves my game in the end :D

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here come again, regarding to the friendship and partnership ;) :

1. People play badminton (and all other sports) for different reasons. Someone want to play for fun, some want to improve, and a few even want to be a pro. If 2 ppl serve different purpose got dragged into the same game, it's hard for them to fight for the common goal to even start with.

2. U metioned ur friend's skill is not that good. Therefore, he makes more mistakes. Point out all these thing right in front of his face, will not make him happy. I guess no one want to be called "sucks" any way. We take years to practice to improve, and just 10 min game duration, I doubt any advice can change a beginner to be a competitive player. Therefore, I try my best to avoid "on court tutorial". If you want to help him out, and he's willing to learn, do some drills with him at spare time.

3. Don't over concern the game result, especially play with someone close, like friends, bf/gf, husband/wife, parents/kid, etc. Mostly, we should enjoy the game. Push someone to the edge is only going to ruin everything.

4. If there's significant gap in skills between ur 2, then there's no point to pair up in a competitive game. Ur 2 can each join the proper group for comeptitive games, and play each other for some social/relax games.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Not if your partner keep popping up BBQ birdies:D! IMO, those who take the sport seriously gets the most out of it. The sport itself is physically and mentally demanding and requires additional training to excel. At the highest level of play, energy exerted in a single game is more exhausting than a number of intermediate level games.

When one's goal is to lose weight by playing baddy, it's not as solid as trying to excel in the sport. As the player gets better at the sport, the weight will lose by itself. ken3682002 should just let his friend be and look elsewhere for quality games.

13. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Interesting topic. Just the other night, I got isolated out. My partner physical level is "okay," getting to the bird on time, and just barely on other times. The problem is, his shots are 90% lifts, 5% drops, 5% smash, the last 10% of poor quality.

The other side just wanted to WIN, and this poor partner of mine was run around the court, back-forehand-cout, back-backhand-court, front-backhand-court, back again, cross-court again, till finally an out-of-breath halfcourt lift is smashed to me.

Many times, I wanted to do the "on-court-tutorial" but I don't believe game-time is coach-time, in this instance.

The best advice is that you're in control of YOURSELF, and maybe train yourself to shift gears and accept your partner's skill level. If you try to "control" your partner ... MAN ... good luck, since even the closest relationships suffer from that approach.

-dave :D

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Are u talking about me? :D Ok, u going to see my 95% lift + 5% pop game soon again. :D :p

15. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Lazybuddy, let me dig out the baseball catchers padding and face mask out! HA-HA :D

-dave

16. ken3682002

hey guys thanks very much for the great advice n oppinion!The next time i know what to do if i partner with again.I take the game to improve my ability to recover shot that poorly returned by my partner.I think u guys are right, on court lecturing is no good eventhougth we are in good intention just to point out mistake that not supposed to be made,normally they dont accept,they might think we are showing off.It might spoilt the friendship.Thanks again guys!