Shoes for flat feet

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by uselessmail, Nov 7, 2013.

1. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

My old Yonex Badminton shoes are on their last legs (forgive the pun!) and begun to start tearing at the seams. I need a new pair of shoes pronto!

There are just too options available online and it'd be helpful if someone who knows about shoes could guide me through this maze. I am a heavyset guy (85Kg or 187lbs) with completely flat feet. What would be the best option for me to choose without breaking the bank?

2. emidyl

emidyl Regular Member

my son has flat feet as well around 160lbs. You're not heavyset by most standards as you don't mention height.
    he wears asics gel-rocket 6 with no pain or discomfort. In Can they're only about $70-80.
    Alternatively you can also get some off the shelf insoles and have them maybe do some custom mods for your feet. We use a BioPed location here that does that for my son's other shoes.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

2 things you need for flat feet. I have them too, I know.

1. Wider fitting shoes.
    2. Spenco Total Support Max replacement insoles. Best deal I get is from Chicago Medical Supply on eBay.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Custom made orthotics are the best option. I got them only after injury unfortunately :crying:

5. visor

visor Regular Member

That's what I had before I started using Spenco. Better cushioning and support for sports.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Didn't you get them custom made for sports ?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes they were. Cost $450, whereas Spenco is only $30.

8. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Sorry about that, forgot to mention that my height is 175cms (5'9"). I will check out the Ascis Gel rocket!

Visor, thanks for that info about wide shoes. I do need a pair which is wide fitting. My current running shoes are a pair of Brooks Dyad 6 and they are perfect for me and I've been searching for something similar for badminton! I dont think I can get those replacement insoles, you mentioned, here in Germany.
    In any case, according to amazon, they help against over pronation (something that most flat feet people suffer from). I, on the other hand, have a weird condition of absolute flat feet with Under-pronation (Ya, even the doctor here was baffled! :D)

Any suggestions for wide fitting badminton shoes??

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Problem with shoes us that you have to personally try it out first. However for my wide feet I've had Yonex SHB200 & SC5EX which were very good. Now it's been replaced by SC6EX which doesn't look as nice or well made.

My Victor SH9000ACE were wide enough too but not much cushioning. I've tried 8600 but were too tight. 8500 I heard are wider but couldn't try.

#9 visor, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013