Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大 ) / Yoo Yeon Seong ( 유연성 / 杻延星)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by event, Sep 12, 2013.

1. dohdoh

dohdoh Regular Member

Have to say that I'm really impressed with this pair.
    Love the new style - it actually suits LYD much more. KSH/LYD was becoming just a front back combination but now both of the players are scouring the net which makes such a dangerous pair. Remember that YYS took the front net duties in his partnership with KSH.

Love it. Things look great for LYD as his mixed pairing really looks like a winning combo as well.

2. nizze

nizze Regular Member

IMO, the YYS/LYD pairing feels more solid than KSH/LYD pairing.
    KSH was the obvious weak link in the partnership and this was totally exploited by the opponents.
    On the other hand, YYS appear more stable and does not come across as the chink in their amour..
    But of course only time will tell, if the YYS/LYD can succeed.

3. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Actually i am quite keen to see Hendra/Ahsan play with this new pairing. The koreans are renowned for their strong defense. Was wondering if LYD/YYS would be strong enough to withstand the Indonesian strong attacking style and turn around their defense into attack...

4. visor

visor Regular Member

^ and so you shall have your wish at DO finals... :)

5. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Hahahaha... yeap ;) Looking forward to the match today

6. MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Regular Member

Very impressed that they beat BO/Mog in the semi finals. I have only seen one of their earlier rounds so i dont know how well they played but got to be excited that they got to the final. Set/As look pretty unbeatable at the moment though. Will be fun to see how they play and match up today :)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    They can only get better. Congrats to this new pair.

To win this highest SS level MD title by beating the highly regarded INA pair in their first international outing is no mean task!

YYS is "mean" and tough and can only push LYD to do better.

8. Grace Law

Grace Law New Member

Student
    Oh my goodness!! Cant believe they won :D neither LYD nor YYS fail to impress~

Initially I really didnt like the way they played cuz yys looked abit sluggish..? Not his usual! But OMG THEY WON. Totally changed my view on the new pairing heh. I think over time, if the coaches nurture them well~ imo theyre definitely more solid than ksh/lyd.

They played really well~ looking forward to more!!!

9. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Nice to see LYD playing like his old self again. No more babysitting needed!
    YYS has his back like JJS did!

10. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Awesome performance today. Such a good tournament! :D
    Future will tell if they can be more than a no.1 pairing (what Ko/Lee have been) and win more big titles (SSP+ events). Actually they will play the Indonesians in the QF of the French Open 13 next week again. I hope they beat them a second time. They have one advantage: they are a new combination and know everything about the others, but the others not about them.
    They have it all to be the best imo: Serve, Return, third shot; flat game what is most important against BoMo, MA/HS and LX/QZ! As all Koreans they are very strong in the defense as well as in the offensive. They could lack a bit in hard smashes, but both Yoo and Lee vary the direction and tempo a lot better than with Ko before. And the way the mens doubles game develops big fire power from the back isn´t that important as it was.
    Very impressive combination. :cool:

Btw.: I really, really don´t like they way doubles is played now or at least the way pairs like the Indonesians play (I thought BoMo would be the most annoying in the department of short rallies before, but they top it easily). From a spectator view it is a bad development as the MD was the most exciting game. Now for non-Badminton viewers is not usable. Too fast and short (only Badminton players know how much it takes to play these shots and I have very big respect for the Indonesians or Danes, but it is rather boring to watch).
    Remember finals like the HongKong Open 11 with almost 80min of exciting badminton and now we have close three seters within 45min :crying:

#30 KB@TB Em, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  11. sen

sen Regular Member

Nope, they won't meet in France because Ahsan withdrew. Injured.

My opinion on this match is that Lee/Yoo were playing without pressure. Ahsan/Hendra playing well to catch up in the 1st game. 2nd game their performance a bit dropped.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Watched the DO final last night and Lee/Yoo does look pretty solid. Yoo has been playing with more energy than I remember him previously, seems more eager... which is good, but he must be able to sustain it.

I didn't feel that Ahsan was any where near his best. He wasn't intercepting and anticipating as well as he usually does and didn't move around the court as quickly. From Sen's post, I guess he may be injured?

Either way, really happy for LYD/YYS to have bonded so well together so soon. Their style does seem to counteract the indo style far better and exposing Setiawan as the weaker defender shows they really have been doing their homework.

It's a shame we may not see Cai/Fu play against this new pairing as it would be very interesting to see how they fair.

The fact that they won the tournament the first time they play together, and against the pair that Lee/Ko could never beat (and convincingly) does confirm Ko's weakness in the pairing. Hopefully he continues to improve and give Korea stonger MD teams.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, this KOR pair is off to a flying start, astounding.

14. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Amazing combination! I wonder if LYD was the one to request for the change in partnership.
    Really looking forward to their next tournament.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

This is the perfect case where the often talked about partner chemistry is so important to a pair's performance.

LYD can now have the freedom to play hard and take aggressive chances, knowing that YYS can support him and back him up, without having to worry about being exposed to any weaknesses.

YYS may not smash as hard as KSH, but he smashes very wisely at the correct spots. And his fore and midcourt play is impeccable, a joy to watch.

They will be a powerful pair along with Ahsan/Setiawan in dominating MD.

16. whyau

whyau Regular Member

IT consultant
    According to http://www.chi2ko.com/tool/hanjakruni.htm 杻 is 뉴, which is clearly not 유

Are you sure there are Koreans whose surname is 杻 (뉴)?
    There isn't one in 2000 or 杻 is one among OTHER or UNKNOWN, according to http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/대한민국의_인구순_성씨_목록

17. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    To win a premier super series in their first tournament together, that's something special about this combination.

Obviously, there is no obvious weakness in this partnership.

In the past, opponent will always attack lee young dae partners, KO, Jung or shin not because these players can not defend but because they cannot change defend into attack while yoo can do it

18. whyau

whyau Regular Member

IT consultant
    Just noticed there is a 杻 under 유
    thought 杻 and 杻 looks alike and should be the same Han character, they have different representations in Korean and Chinese (Unicode) character set.

Anyway, I still doubt 杻 is a surname.

19. Javin

Javin Regular Member

Student
    Long ago thought that they might be a good pair together because yoo is to me a very quick reflexes player at front and his smashes aren't too bad !!

20. Zoidius

Zoidius Regular Member

A bit to early to be saying if this will be a successful partnership long term yet, we need a good 6 months or 6 tournaments to establish a baseline and let the opposition adjust to the new pairing.

If I remember correctly KO and LYD had a very good start to their partnership before the top tier opposition studied the pair and found the right tactics to expose their weaknesses.

Hopefully YOO and LYD will stand up to the scrutiny and still win finals against top tier as I find them an exciting pair to watch.

It's still early days but from what I saw in the Danish Open LYD seemed a lot more relaxed playing with YOO and they seem to have an even respect for each other. When LYD was playing with KO the preassure of partnering LYD seemed to really affect him (KO) when he missed shots.

Looking forward to more finals like the Danish though, good stuff!