What non-shuttlecock things have you ever whacked with your racket?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Jinryu, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    My shipment of karkal gear came today, and I was pretty eager to try this stuff out. Opened the boxes, unwraped the plastics, unzipped the themo bags... took a few swings. Unfortunately, I was in my sister's room at the time, using her computer... and thus, wasn't accustomed to her ceiling.

I'm pretty sure a lot of bady players out there like to swing their rackets around the house every now and then, and you have a good idea of just how low your ceiling is... Unfortunately, i forgot I was in my sister's room-- and hit a glass ornament that was hanging from her light. It shattered on contact, half of it flying into the wall and bursting into shards of glass, the other half still hanging from the ceiling.

The smash scratched up my brand new SL-70 at the 11 oclock-- nice chunk of paint T_T gone although it's luckily just superficial damage. The glass also cut the string, so man, I can't even try it out on court until I can get it restrung.

On the plus side, this was the first time I've ever hit anything with the SL-70. For my my preliminary review, I guess, even thought it wasn't a bird: it's more flexible than I'm used to at the momment, and strung at 21lbs with Karakal Pulse, it did feel really nice.

It even made the most explosive "pok" sound, louder than you'd ever heard before. :D

So I'm wondering, what have you people ever hit (aside from mosquitoes) with your racket??

2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I hit the ceiling once by accident. Nothing too serious.

3. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Well I have hit a doubles partner on the head once who jumped in front of me even after I had called it.If you want to try real fun add a ping pong ball as it does some seriously unpredictable flights.One of the most painful hits has been a follow through to myself which any guy out there can attest is painfully embarassing.Trying to play through one of those incidents takes badminton to a new level of pain.Aside from that the odd ceiling strike and partner body strikes I can't think of anything else other than the joy of killing house flies and mosquitoes. :)

4. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Couple of flies, I've hit the floor once concrete floor mind you (long story) hit my partners in MD, XD during school training...

5. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

the air.... (lame lame, i know) but i treat my (only) racket with care.. :p :rolleyes: and so won't hit no nothing but shuttlecocks.:cool:

6. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    When I was a beginner, I used to hit my racket to almost everything inside my house. Be it a chair, table, wall, a fan on the ceiling, my computer, door or floor.

But when you become more in control of the racket, as you progress with your game, you don't really hit like that.

7. jonix111

jonix111 Regular Member

i hit our wooden bench more than a couple of times already...scratches on my rackets :crying:

8. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I once over-did the follow through of a smash and swung to lower than I wanted. That's ok, I wasn't planning on having kids anyway. :eek:

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    ive hit some weird things at a gym me and a friend were board and sitting on the side lines and well he had a bag of smarties so what ealse we just started wacking them with our racquets seeing how high we could hit them well they go high and break fast, ive also hit a fire extinguisher case i was close to the wall when hitting the shuttle in a rally dident leave a mark on my racquet though, when rallying a few times ive ended up hitting my knee or my head but the worse was when i went for a smash and well i dnt knwo what went wrong but bam, but i can still have kids...i hope, hurt like crazy for a while had to sit down and ppl were looking at me funny cause they dident know what happened lol good times.

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    mostly people and walls.

I have also had the same misfortune as BRL above.

11. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    I am surprised a stiff shaft racket works well as a fly swatter?:D :eek: with cab30 and ultimum ti i should be able to whack the **** out of teh fly

12. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Oh, i forgot to mention this painful one, it's not something that happened to me, but to a friend of mine.

The bird was flying on a trajectory that would have put it right through the right half of his face (he's right handed). So he leaned left and smacked the bird, but not without whipping the fleshy part of his ear really hard.

That certainly looked and sounded painful.

I don't think he got the bird either....:confused:

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... Make sure u pay for ur sister's damage 1st. Otherwise, I am pretty sure she will keep remind u, until both of ur ear and brain giving up. :D

14. darkstar

darkstar New Member

dude have some fun

that is seriously lame try playing with a squash ball and watch your oponent start sobbing when you smash it at his legs!!!:cool: :D :D

15. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    PIng pong balls...........man, those are FUN to wack around. they go flyign really fast and the curve like mad. During gym, our teacher allowed us to do anythign we want, since our final exam is 3 days before the semester ends, and hard exams start (math science etc.), so we just wacked around anythign we could find with the school badminton rackets. Pingpong balls, hackey sacks, golf balls, tennis balls, squash balls, indoor hockey pucks........it was fun.

16. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

I don't know if this is a common toy all over the world, but have you ever seen those little plastic egg toys, the ones that open up and usually there's a toy inside?

We used to play a sort of murder-ball hackey sack with those and rackets, i just remembered. The rules are simple, you sorta do that drill where you just keep the bird (in this case egg) in the air for X amount of shots, then pass it to the next person, who has to juggle X as well. But, if he can pull it off and stall the egg (meaning, let the egg land on his racket in such a way that it's 'carried' and doesn't bounce) you get to whip it at some poor fool.

We usually played that game with hackey sacks, but nonetheless, there's just something very satisfying about cracking an egg open on someone.

Not that this was a constant game, it's just something stupid we'd try for a few minutes here and there sometimes.

17. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Oh, and might i add, the idea was that those eggs were light and big enough that they couldn,t take out someone's eye, although, that might not entirely be true. We're smarter and older now and don't play that anymore.

Don't try this at home!:rolleyes:

18. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Bad memories...

I've hit many things either than the shuttle before. I've hit the ground, at times, those hurt me the most (mentally). I've hitting my leg and knee alot, my head at times too, those hurt me alot too (physically). I've hit rackets, nets, poles, and clothing. Oh, i've also hit people too, a couple of them, teacher, and classmates.

19. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

There is no better tool in the world for the execution of flies and wasps than a badminton racquet. A nice tap action with just a hint of slice to recuce the space between the strings. To really show off it is worth attempting a topspin tap so that the insect bounces once on the window sill and goes out of the window. Smaller flies, mosquitos, crane flies, sadly provide less satisfaction as they tend to stick to the strings rather than bounce off in the right direction.

As on court, the tap is the action of choice for the majority of eventualities, especially indoors. A whip action results in loss of control. When using a whip it is possible to hit walls, people, ceilings or objects without due caution. The structural integrity of the target insect also tends to be insufficient to withstand the whip action, especially with strings above 27lbs, and is less easy to clear up from the carpet.

20. cchyboy

cchyboy Regular Member

Student
    i have a hit a small piece of rock before,thankfully my string remained intact.i have also whacked my leg hard before because of a foul serve lol...as for hitting someone's head in a doubles game,i find it too hilarious.

Cheers.