Help keeping balance

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by decoy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody out here had tips on ways to improve balance around the badminton court. It's something I tend to struggle with and I was hoping to get some ideas on how to improve. I know footwork and movement fairly well but was just wondering if anybody knew some good drills to help me balance? Any advice is appreciated!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Skipping rope? Shadow footwork?

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    This will help your balance and will hopefully help on the court a bit. its a exercise program to strengthen ankles especially weaks ankles. Good on balance.

Stand on 1 leg for 1 min (do each leg)
    Stand on 1 leg for 1 min with eyes closed! (do each leg)
    Stand on 1 leg and rock side to side on that foot while keeping in balance (do each leg)
    Stand on 1 leg and rock side to side on that foot with eyes closed! keeping in balance (do each leg)

This is a great exericse for balance, weak ankles and strengthening the stabilisers in the ankle

4. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

imrpove core strength?

5. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

Define imbalance?What do you think the problem is?Do you have a pair of good shoes that fit your feet properly?Were you in proper attire then?Was there anything distracting you?If not,.....boy...you ......ought to put on your trainers go jogging.Imbalance when you move often means weak legs.Shadow foot work will do you good too;however,I think you should lose some weight first.It's a good idea that you do a little light activities to warm you up and drink a glass of sports drink before you play.Enjoy the games!!

6. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Maybe I should have said that I am quite fit but just don't have perfect balance..... I think the problem is that my thighs are weak compared to rest of my body so I have to focus on that a bit more. Thanks for the tips guys I like gingerphil's idea and have been trying it quite a bit, thanks everyone.