Top 5 Matches of All Time ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wedgewenis, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Ricky.S

Ricky.S New Member

I think that Ben means the AE 90 as Zhao faked the AE 92 against Liu Jun.

I agree with Ben about Morten vs King AE 84 & the AE 90 mentioned above, but I have some great matches that I like for example:

The Thomas Cup 90 China vs Malaysia - Zhao Jianhua vs Kwan Yoke Meng. Zhao displays in the first set some of his most amazing shots, tactics, etc, as he clowns with his opponent wrong footing him & deceiving him. Zhao gets to an amazing 14-2 & then we see a display of Zhao when he looses it big time as he looses almost 8 straight points in a matter of a few minutes with hardly any rallies & his opponent gets to 14-10. Zhao has 3 match points before he closes down the set at 15-10. In the next set we see more amazing stuff from Zhao as he closes down the next game at 15-6. Truly an amazing match displaying the best and worst of Zhao.

Then there is Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen vs Dong Jiong of China in the Atlanta Olympics final 96 as we see the best of Poul-Erik as he beats the Asians at their own game.

Then there's the AE91 men's doubles with Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi vs Park Joo Bong/Kim Moon Soo & we see a display of almost perfect men's doubles from these two world-class players. There's a display of perfect attack & defence. A classic for me.

Another classic has to be the World Champs 2001 Tony Gunawan/Halim Haryanto vs Kim Dong Moon/Ha Tai Kwun. We see here in a men's doubles final the Indonesians totally destroy the Koreans in the first set as they close down the game at 15-0!!! How about that for truly amazing? In the second we see the Indonesians continue this domination for the early part of the game as they make a monkey out of Ha, deceiving him as he comes forward to the net & playing deceptive drops from the rear of the court before an embarrassed Kim & Ha get it together & play their best badminton to try & get some credibility back. They end up loosing a respectable 15-13.

Lastly I have to mention the all Korean men's doubles final during the AE 2000 where in the 3rd set there's some amazing rallies & there's one near the end where it goes on & on & I counted about 64 shots before the rally finished.

#41 Ricky.S, Oct 22, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  2. downNunder

downNunder Regular Member

'96 olympics doubles. final hands down

1996 Olympics in Atlanta: Rexy Mainaky / Ricky Subagja (Indonesia) vs. Soon Kit Cheah / Yap Kim Hock (Malaysia). That was the best match of the century; Hands down for me. It was a very close game between ever rival countries. The most exciting, yet disappointing. :(

3. shuttlejunkie

shuttlejunkie Regular Member

Going back a few years, how about King/ Sugiarto 1983 world final ?Something like 17-15 in the third, very long match, Sugiarto cramps up, umpire gets the score wrong :eek:. Still they play on and Sugiarto takes it. Fantastic match.

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I watched this in a rerun during Chinese New Year and I can truly say that the mental strength in Cai/Fu lost them the game after a promising start. After a good performance in troubling the veteran Indons, they just collapsed.

5. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

I'll put on the list
    Mia audina vs zhang ning at the OG ... an amaziing match =p

6. Newbiewithrage

Newbiewithrage New Member

Top 5 Matches of All Time

For doubles, I would have to agree that the 2000 Olympic was one of the best doubles ever and so was the worlds with KDM/Ha and Halim/Tony

For singles matches, I would have to say any match with Kenneth Jonassen against the top players have been really good matches.

Zhao Jian Hua also have a few really good ones like the AE 85. If you want awesome display of technique another good one would be 91 Worlds semis when he plays Ardy Wiranata. Third set was simply, him setting up a shot and flooring it every time down the line.

The 97 worlds was pretty good too for singles and doubles, better doubles though in my own opinion.

I haven't watched the Liem Swie King vs MF match but I also heard it was really good and exciting.

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Saw this recently and wasn't that impressed.
    It was very Korean.
    fast drives back and forth, on and on.
    It seemed like they played the same rally all the time.
    Very little variety.

8. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Can someone tell me where I can download the video for the mens doubles final (not sure what year it is) ?

9. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

i just watched sun jun beat fung in the 1999 world championship

what a great match :D
    only 2 games but was great seeing sun jun win .. really deserved it
    some really great trick shots... sun jun hitting that crosscourt drop .. almost never see a shot like that before - and his opponent getting that one between his legs while scrambling backwards on the 2nd last point..that was insane

whats with those old matches from the 1990's though .......seems like they really ran eachother harder towards the net back then or something... longer rallies even exchanging tougher shots...classic stuff

i need to get more matches with sun jun ..that guy has real grit :cool:

#49 wedgewenis, Nov 21, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  10. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

i just watched sun jun beat fung in the 1999 world championship

what a great match :D
    only 2 games but was great seeing sun jun win .. really deserved it
    some really great trick shots... sun jun hitting that crosscourt drop .. almost never see a shot like that before - and his opponent getting that one between his legs while scrambling backwards on the 2nd last point..that was insane

whats with those old matches from the 1990's though .......seems like they really ran eachother harder towards the net back then or something... longer rallies even exchanging tougher shots...classic stuff

i need to get more matches with sun jun ..that guy has real grit :cool:

maybe if u see the semi betwn fung and peter gade.....i think that properly is the better game than the final...........

fung has been play a very smart game..............but also run out of the gas for the final

also i think the game between sun jun and peter gade in 1999 or 2000 ( don't really remember ..don't hv vcr anymore...gave all the vhs away:p )
    world grand prix final................i think it is 1999 ..but played in 2000
    that is one of the best single match ever

11. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    No, it wasn't. There was a match which was even 10 minutes longer than this one.

My favoorites are:
    1997 wc final. sun jun and p. rasmassun...what a thriller!!!
    2004 AE MS final. p.gade n lin dan
    have downloaded 2003 wc final but haven't yet seen

12. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

well then mr. smartypants .. what match was that :p

13. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    oh look :eek:. how dares he say me that :mad:. hahaha just kidding man.

well you want longer? WD Gao/Huang vs Lee/Ra AE semi final 2004 lasted about 2h 25 minutes.

i am wrong if you were only talking about mens singles only.

14. youngwind

youngwind Regular Member

student
    in my opinion , Zhao Jianhua VS Lim shuikim of Indonesia , 1989 ALL England,
    and Xiong Guobao VS Frost (sorry for forgetting the exact time).

15. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Since the last post in this thread there where a lot of good matches.
    For example
    2012 Olympics Badminton Men Single Final: Lin Dan vs Lee Chong
    2011HKO MDF Cai,Fu[CHN]vs[KOR]Jung,Lee
    2009 WC MDF - FuHaifeng CaiYun vs JungJaeSung LeeYongDae
    2008 Olympics Badminton Men Single Final: Lin Dan vs Lee Chong
    2006 WSF - Badminton Japan Open - Zhang Ning vs Xie Xing Fang

But i have not watched a lot of Badminton matches, actually I am locking for a good (in terms of tactic and technique with focus on the man's play-style) XD Game from the last 2 years(2012-2014).

16. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Only two that was keeping me unable to sit well and having massive palpitation.

1. Semifinal 1992 Thomas Cup, Stadum Negara, Kuala Lumpur : MAS vs CHN : MS 1 Rashid Sidek vs Zhoa Jian Hua

I took the liberty to skip my night class ( i was studying in my diploma course at ITM, Shah Alam) at that year. At this time Zhao considered was at his best form. To match him, alone to beat zhao was considered an impossible task for rashid but after waiting nearly 25 years since the last time Malaya brought the cup here, the stadium was fully crowded to give the moral support to team Malaysia. Datin Dr Siti Hasmah, wife to the former Malaysia PM, Tun Dr Mahathir, who was tagged the Godmother to the Malaysia Badminton team at that time, despite her age and hectic schedule came to provide moral support as well.

A biblical level of match happens between them and that was able to implant a permanent memory inside my brain until now and it is enough to say that it took all the might of Rashid to beat Zhao that night and that still was a very close match. This was a quote taken from one of the local paper here, thestar :

"Malaysia’s top singles player Rashid Sidek had never beaten the Chinese ace in a competition.
    On that day, Rashid rose to occasion and upset Jianhua 17-15,10-15, 15-12. Razif said Rashid’s win was due to excellent guidance from singles coach Yang Yang.

“Yang Yang was Jianhua’s sparring partner until he joined BAM as a coach. He knew Jianhua’s game well. Yang Yang was not selfish and shared all his experience with Rashid. He also gave tips on how to overcome Jianhua. In fact, it was not only Yang Yang but also Han Jian and Chen Chengjie. They were from China but were involved wholeheartedly in Malaysia’s preparation for the Thomas Cup. They were committed to Malaysia’s ambitions,’’ said Razif."

2. Malaysia Open 2006 MS Final : Dato' Lee Chong Wei vs Superdan, Lin Dan

This is one of the greatest comeback since Dato' being reunited back with Datuk Misbun. Trailing at 13- 20 in the deciding 3rd set against the current multiple World/ Olympic and Asian Champion, superdan looks like an extremely bleak future for Dato' but he manage to win it when hope was nearly gone. 23-21 was the final result.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ahh, yes, 1992 semifinal TC Zhao vs Rashid. Truly memorable. Rashid's performance truly memorable that day and for the final. Don't know how he survived.

18. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    I can't agree more about your " Don't know how he survived" quote.

19. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

I just watched highlights of this on youtube. Other than the forehand serves, the players seemed to do less cross court drops, less jump smashes, and almost no back and forth clears and dive defenses.

But the fast pace drives were amazing. Maybe it's the viewing angle.

20. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I didn't watched the "older" badminton matches (before 2008), so my first thought was the 2010 All England Quarter Final between Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade (22:20, 20:22, 20:22). And the WC 2011 Final between Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei in London.