for hotmail users with only 2mb

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wubuseah, Jan 22, 2005.

1. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    this is not an ad lol
    just a trick i learnt...sharing it cuz i know how fed up some ppl can get with only a 2mb mailbox :mad:
    as hotmail users should know, new hotmail signups from the US get a 250mb mailbox while the rest of the world has only 2 mb...unfair ain't it:mad:
    anyway...for american users (and everyone else if you dont mind lying a bit), if your mailbox is still 2mb, do the following to change ur box to a 250mb account.
    Follow this steps :
    1. Sign in to your Hotmail Account and choose "Options" (located at the top right corner)
    2. Next choose the "Personal" tab and click "My Profile". Change your country/region to United States. Under state put in (for example) Hawaii and postcode 96801. You may choose other states but be sure to have the correct postcode.
    You may find other zip code here : http://www.downloadzipcode.com/
    Having done that click update and continue.
    3. Go to "Language" option under "Personal" Tab and set to English.
    4. IMPORTANT! In order not to loose your current email in the Inbox you need to create a new folder and move the Inbox to that folder.
    To do that, go back to Mail. Click New then from the drop down list choose Folder. After doing that, choose the email you wish to save and click Put In Folder.
    5. After completed the steps 1 - 4 above, type this in the address bar above (do not sign out just yet)or just click it
    http://by17fd.bay17.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/Accountclose
    This will close down your account. Just click OK to deactivate the account.
    6. Go back to http://www.hotmail.com and sign in with your username and password. After few mouse clicks, your account will become 25MB.
    7. Within a couple of weeks to a month your account will be upgraded to 250MB.
    for accounts that are already located in the US just follow steps 4-6.
    remember to backup ur mail :cool:
    cheers:D
    -wubu

2. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    thanks a lot for the tip, am gonna try to out soon...:cool:

been wondering why some of my friends got 250 whilei only got 2 megs.. =(

3. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

thanks for the advice. but it was a tad too late. i'd gone and created another account under hotmail Just so i could have more storage space, not to mention convenience.. but i'd infinitely prefer it if you'd chosen a more subtle way to share this piece of info :D.

4. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    sorry...i actually found out about this sometime b4 christmas but only tested it about a week or 2 ago..had to make sure it works :eek:
    as for a more subtle way...i was considering just posting a link to a unlinked page on my website...which is how i shared it with my friends, thru msn using a geocities link :p
    but i think it's widely shared on the friendster boards though (that's where i picked it up)
    3 of my 4 hotmail accounts turned 250mb after about 1.5 weeks...the other 1 is still pending at 25mb.
    which reminds me...apparently you dont have to change the language to english ..one of my accounts was left on chinese (PRC) and it changed to 250mb...

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hmmm, i rarely check msn email and i have done none of the above procedure and i got 250 mb *shrug*

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    same here. i have had less than 100 mails since i got my account. but i got 2000MB!

maybe they figured for the ppl who never use it, it won't make a difference if they give them the whole server.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    2 gb :eek: not fair :(

8. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    it's supposedly done automatically for current users in north america...though some of my friends there were still stuck with 2 mb

2gb :eek:
    how the ????:confused:

9. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

lol. maybe you haven't realised, but you're paying for it. :eek: i know there's a package where you get the 2gb and other cool functio;ns for a fee. :)

#9 Anatolii, Jan 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    My girlfriend signed up for the hotmail while she was in Taiwan. (hotmail taiwan version), ans she has 250MB as well as my accounts.

11. clemclem

clemclem New Member

I have just tried this out, it works immediately as wubuseah said. Now I don't have to worry about deleting my emails . Thanks a lot for the tip!

12. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    2gb account for only $19.95 lol
    meanwhile...it's wierd...tried making an account with address in malaysia and in taiwan...still 2mb
    either your gf left the address as United States or hotmail has the same offer for taiwan. maybe it's like the older version of yahoo, where older accounts got 6 mb instead of 4mb for the new signups.
    Versions of hotmail doesn't really matter (imo)...think the servers are still in the same locations...for example a China-only internet connection (very cheap internet connection in china, only 5 rmb per month..compared to 100rmb for an international connection) cannot access the (supposedly) china version of hotmail (when i tried in 2003 anyway, had to use a proxy)
    actually doesn't really matter i guess...hotmail's gonna need to offer a bigger mailbox worldwide sometime in the future...the above is just a way of changing it faster.

13. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Is it 2000MB or 2000KB ? :D:D:p :p

I think if you have signed up long enough, you will get some free upgrades from MS as for loyality appreciation :)

Also, I think the new sign-ups no longer has the POP feature; only the old users still have that, right?

14. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    POP feature? i think back since 1999 the best it'd give me was ability to use it with outlook...couldn't use it with eudora using pop. (think at least 2 of my accounts have been around that long)

15. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Use another email provider instead. Yahoo I think has a few hundred MBs... Google is 1GB (by invitation only) and several others have hundreds of MBs as well

16. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    yahoo offers the same as hotmail at 250mb but at least it applies to all users, old and new, around the world ( i have both the old 6mb ones and the newer 4 mb accounts). it doesn't offer a POP option for it's free accounts (it used to a few years ago)
    google has 1 gb but lacks a messaging system that yahoo and msn offers (though u could make a net passport for msn using gmail), so it isn't used much among the people i know, no POP either
    the only other one i use is lycos but that's still offering only 5mb and it's blocked by some other email servers (they treat anything from lycos servers as spam and is autoblocked lol), no pop too
    i still use hotmail the most due to it's convienience. (the yahoo messenger takes up too much memory and bugs me)
    if anyone wants i have 4 gmail invites up for grabs, just pm me

17. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    No, Gmail has POP, and it's free. I am using it right now :)

18. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    oops...my bad...didn't explore gmail's abilities:eek:
    sorry :eek:

19. Pingo

Pingo Regular Member

When I reply to an email using Hotmail, it has started to include the original message as an attachment instead of having it in the main body of the text below my reply (original message follows...). Does anyone know how to stop the original message from being an attachment?

20. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

hey, that happened to me as well. in addition to that, emails from friends now come under the attachements, the contents of which always amt to < 0.01 mb. but nothing can ever be viewed from it. however, it seems that this only happens when i access mails from my father's mac at home. :confused: there's no problem with the computer i;m currently on right now. is there a connection?