Replacement for AT800 DE

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jeanmid, May 31, 2013.

1. jeanmid

jeanmid New Member

Hello everyone, I have been using the AT800 DE for several years but it's broken now so I'd like to know which of the newer models is closest to that same feel when playing, especially returning smashes and driving. I play mostly doubles and like to play defensive usually. Some models I was considering: AT900 Tech VT series ARC 10 / 11 Based on the Yonex racket chart the closest of these would be the ARC models, but I'd like to get feedback from people who've actually played with and liked the AT800 DE before. I thought the AT900 Tech was its replacement, but it seems it's a head-heavy racket? I've never played with a really head-heavy racket like the VT series but someone said they're also quick on defense? Thank you in advance for the suggestions / advice. Jean

2. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

Voltric 60 (Flexible Stiffness) /70 (Medium Stiffness) maybe? Especially considering performance to return powersmashes back to the backline with ease and drive battle that require lightning fast maneuverability

3. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    Hi. I used a 4U YY AT800DE for about 4 years before I switched to 3U AT900T (2 years, it broke) then Voltric 80. I like more the AT900T than the AT800DE, AT900T and AT800T are close in terms of specs, though AT900T feels more solid in defense, quickness and power (maybe due to weight variation). AT900T vs VT80, i noticed that VT80 is slower due to its longer shaft/shorter handle compared to AT900T shorter shaft longer handle, and VT80 has stiffer shaft than at900t, so you need to adjust more if you choose vt80 than AT900T. I'm not sure if all YY VT's have long shafts and short handles.

Comparing VT80 and AT900T (based on my experience) AT900T is faster in terms of defense and fast exchanges of shots/drives compared to VT80 though I find vt80 easier on backhand overhead/underhand clears from baseline to baseline, more solid feeling in shots and makes my smashes way powerful. AT900T is more forgiving in mishits than VT80. AT900T string bed has more repulsion/is more repulsive compared to VT80 which has longer hold.

Try to borrow AT900T and VT80 if you can then play with them, then decide. You may opt for other brands like Victor BS series or MX series. Based on what i read, they are aerodynamic/aero frame like the Armortec 800 and 900t.

Don't choose racquets having extra stiff shafts if you have shoulder/arm problems.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The AT-800-DE was my previous racket. I had to switch because (1) it was no longer produced and (2) it was contributing to my shoulder problems (being so head-light).

I found it a very difficult racket to switch away from, because I had got used to the extremely low head weight. I tried several rackets and none of them felt right.

Eventually I tried a Voltric 80, and that's what worked for me. I know the VT-80 is (much!) more head-heavy than the AT-800-DE, but strangely it just "felt right", and I didn't have any trouble adjusting.

5. openmxy

openmxy New Member

yeah,Don't choose racquets having extra stiff shafts if you have shoulder/arm problems.[​IMG]