Thick Grip Vs. Thin

Discussion in 'Grip' started by huchmo, Mar 12, 2009.

1. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

My personal preference =

Bare Wood + Overgrip YY AC-143

IMHO :D

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Please note that most of the combis that I suggested are meant for RECREATIONAL (and beginners) players who play for fun, to get fit and to enjoy the game.

For the uber-competitive and tournament players, I am sure you know what type of grip you like !! ;)

3. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    put a layer of lead tape on the wood and cover it with over grip
    aloha !!!
    after 6mth, you play like LCW power

4. Granum

Granum Regular Member

I take off the original grip and put some pre-wrap tape on the wood before putting grip on. I've found that it cushions the grip so the wood doesn't push too hard on my hand

5. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This is a very good advice!!
    My mate only use one Yonex SuperGrap102 on the bare wood and during a match, the wood grip brokes into pieces!! :eek:
    (It wasn't a cheap racket - Victor Total Inside Wave 6500) Maybe the sweat-theory could be a reason?
    He complained it in the shop and he got a new one, but this was scary...

6. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Victor Total Inside Wave 6500 ??? this is my very first time hearing this name coming from Victor line.

7. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Old Price was about 189,00€ - currently 89,00€ - 129,00€. It's in the sell-out.
    Here is one link to a german online shop (a quite expensive shop)

http://shop.badmintonversand.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1476

B
    ut this is not the topic ^^

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Thick grips feel very uncomfortable to me. I could not change the grips well and it feels like a tin of coke. I use overgrip direct on bare wood or for sweaty days a thin layer of selfmade towelgrip. This works for me best.

offtopic

speedyJT, you are from germany, too.:) Gruss aus Bochum.:)

9. Vomit

Vomit Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I have to use a thick grip due to the size of my hand - I find it very uncomfortable to use a thin grip with a G4/G5 Yonex. My current preference is Ashaway softgrip.

10. asdsadas2008

asdsadas2008 Regular Member

Student
    To be honest, I think the matter whether it's thick or thin entirely depends on your preference. Some people find thicker grip to give them more control, comfort, etc. But then I found it to have the opposite effect for me, my wrist manipulation goes out of the window even when my grip is 0.2mm thicker than the usual, so thin it is for me :)

Just use the one that is the most comfortable with your style of play, there is no exact boundaries on which is the best grip to use

11. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    Instead of Thick and Thin.

I'd be more concern on how grippy it is.

Personally, I like my grip to be soft and slightly thick. For me, it's a lot easier to clench that way.

12. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

Palm size or finger size?? u mean how long ur finger is? or how big ur palm?

13. Kreator

Kreator Regular Member

I couldn't agree more. Basically it all depends on personal preference and how it feels in the palm of your hand. For me a thinner grip (i usually play with the original grip) generates more power and feels right in my hand but some people will tell you otherwise. Again personal preference. I don't play with thicker grips and every time a wrap a Yonex Super Grap over my original grip i end up taking it off. I only play doubles and currently prefer head heavy rackets (Yonex VZFII) so any slight variation in balance point i can feel and that matters to me.

-Stephan-

14. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    I have been used to bigger grip and more power play.. hard smashes in my younger days. But of late, the past few years, injury after another especially having tennis and gold elbow at the same time has changed the way I go for racket grip and size and thickness.

I am using a balance light racket in Apacs 6U racket, no original grip with an added grip for last 1 year. In fact, I would prefer a head light racket and this thread has given me another opportunity to try something which I thought might work but never did. Recently, I bought a similar racket and had it with the original grip along my an added grip and try out the difference

Although I have kind of recovered from both injury...? Occasionally, I feel the pull on my elbow if I have not done my technique correctly. What happen is with the new racket and grip, I feel the pressure on my elbow when defending and heavy pressure when I smash. I switch back to the previous racket, pressure gone.

I only realise about the grip in the last 2 years because i have very short fingers. With the elbow injuries and my left ACL gone (no surgery), I become more sensitive towards the load that my hand and leg can take. Hence, my recent change of grip very often to find a good feel for my racket. In the process, I had changed, wasted many grips just after one try in the court. But I think it is worth it as I now with my current condition, find what is best for me.

In fact, I have been trying to increase the grip size, weight of racket, etc... to try and see I can adjust to changes apart from using a light weight racket... In the end,... stick with this now..

#54 bbmars, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  15. club21

club21 Regular Member

Slave
    My preference will be thin grip over the thicker ones. Seem to be more sensitive when shuttle leave my racquet bed. Just saying... but quite expensive to be changing grip every 10 hrs of play time.:crying:

16. zackyh

zackyh Regular Member

I was using 1 piece of 102ex over grip on my zf2 3ug5. It sort of wore out and now I just added one more layer of 102ex on it. I can feel that with two over grips it's 'slightly spongy' but I kind of like the feel. Is two over grips considered thick?

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yonex AC402DX on G5 bare wood... my kingdom for a G6!

Best racket grip-wise I've ever held was Fernaldi's - G6 MX90s.

18. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Coaching badminton channel just uploaded this video about thick vs thin grip, what do you guys think? I usually prefer a very thin grip (to allow for more snapping movement, or so I thought) but according to him this is not necessarily good either.

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

What about Brave Sword 12 L? Comes as G6, even in Europe, well, Germany at least.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Only one of those I've seen was Natsirs, and she had 5U. Gripped pretty much up the T-joint;).