Victor MX 80/70/60/JJS ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Winn108, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

Hey Bcers,

I'm looking to replace my BS10 which I recently broke (two which I broke within a span of a month... ) so I've been looking for a replacement and would welcome all your advice to which of the meteors I should buy.

Today, I just managed to try out my friends MX80 and SW35 (which I thought would be similar to the MX60). I found the MX80 quite difficult to use. Just swinging it, I felt the head move very little (due to the stiffness of the shaft) unlike the SW35, which was quite a pleasure to use. Hence I'm more debating between the MX60 and MXJJS, with the though that the MX60 would be similar to the SW35, and the MXJJS a stiffer SW35 hence more like my BS10 but with more umph. I'm also open to the MX70, though I don't like the paintjob as much :p

Please advise forumers, I've been going through all racket reviews and it's hard to really compare all of them together :p

Thanks!

2. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

It seems that you are a bit misinformed about the specs of these rackets! :p First off, the SW35 is WAY stiffer than the MX60(which is the most flexible of the bunch). The SW35 is in fact about the same stiffness as the MX80. The SW35 should also be more stiff than the MXJJS by a bit.

So on a scale of stiffest to least stiff in my opinion, it would be: MX80>SW35>BS10>MX70>MX60.
    I've left out the MXJJS because it's specs aren't well known yet. It should be equal to or less than the SW35 in terms of stiffness.

In the end, unfortunately, I think the MX70 is closest to your BS10 in terms of stiffness :p. The MX70 is more head heavy though so it packs more of a punch. The MX60 would be a more flexible version of the MX70.

3. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    Yeah, MX60 is the most friendly racket I think among those... it is least stiff, slightly head heavy and it is comparatively lighter. Definitely easiest to handle and all rounder.

If you have the strength, then surely you can handle MX80 or SW35. Otherwise, it will slow you down on your defense.

4. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

It's hard to keep track of all the specs of these rackets. And a lot of the listed specs (those that victor releases) are not always accurate, especially when it comes down to actual use.

From my experience, the MX80 was noticeably stiffer than the SW35 and BS10, both which I found very similar in stiffness.

But yes, I'm waiting for feedback from those lucky people who managed to get a hand on the MXJJS :p

5. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    There are already some reviews on the MX JJS... look it up at the dedicated MX JJS thread :p

6. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

Trust me, I've been on that thread many a time :p There aren't that many up yet, and since MBS has sold out, I'm guessing potential buyers won't be posting anytime soon. I'm just asking here because many people are like myself are interesting in trying out the meteor series but aren't sure which one to go with, so hopefully this thread will compile all relevant information to help people make their decision. So anyway... :p

i've seen comparisons made between the VT70 and MX60 (both here and on Paul the badminton coach's website). Is it a good comparison? I really don't like the VT70. It's head heavy and flexible in such a way it feels slow (especially when defending). But the meteor series tends to be fast, so it probably doesn't have that problem.

7. loneboy62

loneboy62 Regular Member

I have never tried MX60, couldn't really give good feedback on this comparison, so I try my best to give whatever I know here.

MX-70/MX-JJS - Very closed feeling with MX-JJS, not too stiff if compare to MX-80 or London, good for more power but lesser control, so I usually string higher tension to increase my control level, and power is definitely there for MX-JJS or MX-70. If choose a closer feeling will be SW-35

VT70 - ? Definitely different with MX series any of the racket. VT70 you will feel the head heavy which MX series you don't. It has similar weight in the head for VT70 and MX70 which is true, but why MX series you can't feel that because of Octagon Design can break through the wind and Yonex design is more traditional and keep focusing on the quality of the build, that is really totally difference.

MX80/MXLondon - More head heavy and more stiff racket. Honestly speaking, you have to feel it yourself from the shop if possible, if not the little bit difference might be hard to sport among all the other series.

Thanks.
    Jyno

8. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    All the Meteors have the same balance point (circa 300mm) so any difference in head weight should just be the perception that different shaft stiffnesses give. However I'm not sure about the JJS because I haven't played with it yet.

The closest thing to the BS10 is the MX70. The 70 is a bit slower but is better torsionally. Personally I think the spec is too close to the 80 to warrant it, but some people like it.

The MX80 is very stiff, great for strong and fast players. Pushes and drives with it are a dream. It literally destroyed my shoulder though so I dumped it after a season. Maybe the best looking racket ever made.

MX60 is the friendliest of the lot. Stiffer than you think, and actually a good match to the head. The slightly softer shaft tempers the brutal metallic clanginess of the Meteors, which I think is a good thing. One of my favourite rackets.

9. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

Thanks guys! All very useful posts, and I help it aids others in choosing among the awesome meteor series :D

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Why don't you try to get some BS10s? The stiffness depends on your version. TW coded are stated as 4/5 in terms of stiffness. Others as 5/5.

11. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

It's actually kind of annoying how rackets are not identical even though they are designated as the same model.

I've already broken two BS10s, it's time for a new toy. Honestly, a new racket probably won't make a huge difference in my playing ability (it's the player, not the racket!), it's just that if I'm going to make a purchase without having the chance to demo it, I want some opinions.

#11 Winn108, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ If you're worried about the bs10 flex variation issue, then get the mx70, which doesn't have that problem. ;)

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I would get the MX80. In my opinion it's an improved BS10 with a heavier head.
    In terms of stiffness the MX80 is a tiny bit stiffer. The head is fast but not as fast as the BS.
    The MX60/70/80/JJS will vary in terms of stiffness, but I think the balance point is nearly the same. Maybe vary around 5mm. The MX70 is a tiny bit less stiff as the BS10. By the way I'm talking about the BS10 version with 5points of 5 stiffness.

14. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I have a MX80, played a little with the MX70. I preferred the 80 over the 70. 70 felt a little dull compared to the 80.

That said... I think I need to bulk up my arm a bit more to play 100% with the 80. I can play fine with it, but it does fatigue my arm quite a bit quicker than my other racquets (currently playing with PPPP as well).

When I need more powa, I use MX80. When I need more speed, I switch to the PPPP.

15. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    Hey guys i got one question abt mx 80.
    U c i got two jjs, a 3u n a 4u, both have awesome swing speed although not quite as fast as my n80. My favourite rackets, powerful and fast and have a sharp n deadly smash.

However, mx jjs is like a loose cannon, with most my shots i feel to be uncontrollable as compared to my weaker but faster n more accurate n80.

The question is, is mx80 better than mxjjs in accuracy n swing speed. Also interested to know d difference in power between d two.

TKs guys.