Why can't I get overhead drops in singles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MeowMeowCats, Aug 21, 2012.

1. MeowMeowCats

MeowMeowCats Regular Member

I can get net drops in singles and overhead drops just fine if I am playing doubles.

For some reason, in the corners I just can't get them and it is not because I am slow or lazy. I have been mistaken for laziness because of this problem. For me, I just don't/can't react to it and by the time I realize it is an overhead drop it is too late. It is also not because I am not ready, I am on my toes and ready to move. I even try to tell myself to expect one but most of the time I still can't and this happens mostly just right after my serve. If someone just overhead drops to me constantly during a singles rally I am pretty sure they would gain many points off of me.
    I am not sure what to do.

Thanks!

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Difficult to say without watching you play. But assuming your mental reaction/anticipation is good, here's a few tips.

1. Split step, preload your legs so you can push off quicker.
    2. Stay low, knees bent to allow you to shift your centre of gravity quickly.
    3. Always use correct footwork rather than running steps. For most, as a rule thumb, your first step should be your non racquet foot, then chase.
    4. Watch where your opponent hits the shuttle relative to his/her body and position on court and try to eliminate a few corners to allow you to shift your base.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    How far back is your base? It may be too far back. Regardless, I would shadow the movements to retrieve a drop shot very very slowly, and become familiar with the rhythm thats required (split step - running step with non racket foot - lunge on racket foot). There is LOADS of time to go get those shots. Stop being so tense and overthinking it. Instead, wait for the shuttle, see the shuttle, then move to the shuttle. The more you try to "guess" where it is going because you are concerned about your footwork, the less likely you are to succeed.

Good luck!

4. MeowMeowCats

MeowMeowCats Regular Member

Thanks guys!
    But one of the main reasons I think is that I don't anticipate an overhead drop to the corners (I am not sure why). It has something to do w/ my mentality. I have tried fixing it; but it hasn't gotten better and very discouraging because people think I am not trying. I think I will work on footwork too.

5. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    u might be taking a small step "backward" when yr opponent arch his back to hit. U may have interpreted the arching (big body turn) as power generating move.

6. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    oh yes, lean slightly forward when yr opponent "arch", u will be fine.

#6 captaincook, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    IF you're like me...

Then you're probably seeing the overhead drop and thinking ...
    "It's going to hit the net...oh wait...crap...it's going over...MOVE...damn...too late".

I'm constantly reminding myself to...MOVE!!!

8. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer

Exactly , great advice and tips , kept it basic but to the point. those 4 points you made would really help players on court. You sound like someone who enjoy playing singles

9. alexh

alexh Regular Member

If you can reach drop shots at other times, but not after you serve, then it's probably your serve that's the problem! Maybe it's not going right to the back of the court, or maybe it's not going high enough. Height is important for singles serves--if the shuttle is dropping more steeply, then it's harder for the opponent to hit an attacking shot.

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    just shooting in the dark, but could it be that mentally you're wishing that your opponent would hit a clear or smash instead of a corner drop so you won't have to work your legs as hard to retrieve it? because i would wish that in order to conserve energy in a game. do some drills that has to do with retrieving those corner drops and then play a game and see if it changes the way you think a bit :)