Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT

Chinese... I hate referring to them by their country rather than by their names but referring them by their names in one sentence is a bit lengthy process. They all are so good, they deserve to be referred to by their names.

Ok back to the topic... These Chinese players are hard wired with wide range of strokes, if you wake them up in the middle of the night from sleep and ask them to play a match they will show the same level of play all the time. That's how consistent they are. I don't know how they achieve it.

On the other hand, SN and rest of the world are not up to that level of consistency. For example, when we saw SN playing INA SS in June and compare it to OG, we can see that there was some difference in her game. What I noticed was that she was not taking the shuttle early like she did in INA SS. And her footwork was a tad bit slower as well.

During the SF she was completely out of ideas against WYH. She was rather more interested in showing her might to WYH than formulating an alternative strategy. If she wants to be number 1 then she has to beat WYH and LXR. For that she needs to add strokes and develop the capability to adapt according to the situation at hand. Fitness wise she is surprisingly superior even to Chinese.

I am a big fan of SN. That is why I want to see her to win, be it SS or OG, fair and square on her own strength beating the best of the best in the game.

#961 rahuldarga, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I believe some call it "rote" training, in a negative sense.

I consider it essential for a player to perfect his strokes through repetition after repetition,
    such that at a split second's command, he could recall and execute the stroke that he wants to use under prevailing circumstances. This requires many hours of monotonous hard work in simulated conditions, yet the player will still feel not wholly satisfied with the outcome.

It is liken in golf when one has to practise until the swing is "grooved" in.

I'm sure SN is doing the same thing but not quite there yet compared to the Chinese.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I have told Saina Nehwal herself that she would be World No.1 one day

Agree. :):):)

I too follow players, not countries.

I have told Saina Nehwal herself that she would be World No.1 one day.

I am hoping that Saina Nehwal would be World No.1 soon.

4. pujuma

pujuma Regular Member

so arranged marriage ? :mad:

She's Punjabi right ?

5. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

No, she is not Punjabi. Actually she is originally from Haryana state and belongs to the Jat community.

6. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Accolades follows.......

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-BMW-to-Saina-Nehwal/articleshow/15561418.cms
    Saina Nehwal on Sunday received a brand new BMW car for winning a bronze medal at the London Olympics from none other than batting legend Sachin Tendulkar, who said that the world is yet to see the best of the star shuttler.

The felicitation function was organised by vice president of Andhra Badminton Association Chamundeshwari Nath, who honoured the city girl by buying her the luxurious car.

"I am sure that she (Saina) is happy but not satisfied. We are also not satisfied because we know that you can go to greater heights. You have that ability with Gopi's guidance. There are better days ahead and as a sportsperson, you always try to believe that your best is yet to come," the iconic Indian batsman said at the felicitation function.

While announcing a BMW car for Saina and a car each for her coach P Gopichand and budding talent PV Sindhu, Sachin said, "I am quite confident that your best is yet to come and you will emerge victorious across the world and that is what we want".

Heaping praises on Saina, Tendulkar said, "Whatever I have seen of her there is no drama involved, it's just quality badminton and that is what you expect from a sportsperson. After winning (bronze medal) also, she has not got carried away and that's the beauty of being a champion sport person".

Saina gave India its first-ever medal in badminton at Olympics when her Chinese opponent withdrew from the bronze medal play-off after injuring her knee.

"This medal means a lot for India, I am sure this medal has not come without dedication, hard work, focus and having a vision," Tendulkar said.

Congratulating all the medal winners, he said it was "terrific" for India at London. "You all deserve praise and good things that are coming your way," he added.

Responding to the accolade, Saina said she had waited for her Olympic moment since her childhood days.

"I dreamt of being a Olympic champion at the age of 9...It is unbelievable to have won the medal. I am so happy. I should thank Gopi sir for making it possible. He really worked hard with me for many years.

"Myself winning the first medal will really change a lot of things for badminton in India and I am sure we shall have lot more medals in future. I hope badminton becomes one of the most popular games, though may not be like cricket, in our country," Saina said.

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Wow... Good for her and seems like badminton received so much attention in India lately

8. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    yeah after Prakash Padukone left playing in early 80s there was a void in Indian badminton... Indians played the game just as a backyard pleasure nothing competitive... Its only with the 2000's that Gopichand emerged his All England titled inspired a few and another crop of players raised their game a notch up.... and look the level seriously seems rising up... India has been in the verge of now taking up the place and replacing one among the Asian Giants aka Indonesia, Malaysia or Thailand just behind CHN,Korea & Japan in the over all rankings including all the types... Indian youngsters are looking good with Saina showing them the path and installing confidence that they can also acheive something big we had another Quarterfinalist P Kashyap in the men's singles... Jayaram almost snatched his place before the Olympics so he has a competition over there too, PV Sindhu is doing great as budding WS, the likes of Saurabh Verma are also looking bright prospects with some imrovement in the doubles India could well be a force to reckon with... This new found self belief which Saina has bought in is definitely going to bring in quite a change and with the accolades and money coming in India wld get a new sport to look at....

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

saina and her coach and pv sindhu got a new car;)
    [video=youtube;I9sUIg6fY2w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9sUIg6fY2w[/video]

10. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Nice! But I think she will look much much better in a red Z4 convertible :)

11. pujuma

pujuma Regular Member

great now she is probably going to the cricket side.......

12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Sania mania hits Ahmedabad
    Shweta Singh, TNN | Aug 26, 2012, 06.01AM IST

Saina Nehwal was only nine when she saw a dream not many of her age would even think of — an Olympic medal. Such was her determination to bring laurels for the nation that she chose badminton over cartoons, rigorous fitness regime over movies and proper diet food over junk.

At 22, in the month of August this year, all her hardships and sacrifices of her parents finally paid off as she stood on the podium wearing the London Olympic bronze medal around her neck, her head held high and tears of joy rolling down her eyes as she saw the Indian tricolour being hoisted. "Earlier, after every loss I used to cry but I coach said if you keep crying then when will you start winning? I have learnt a lot from my experiences and am a much stronger player mentally. But I still cry after losing and also after winning big matches," Saina said.

"My father didn't tell me till recently that how he had borrowed money from his friends so that I could have shoes, rackets and shuttle cocks. I chose badminton and gave up studies in 12th class to take part in 2008 Beijing Olympics.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Full article : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...mania-hits-Ahmedabad/articleshow/15725845.cms

13. gopalprasad

Software Architect
  14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

15. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    She is playing in China Masters this week also..............

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This is a fantastic gesture to a fellow athlete who I presume is not as well off but showed true grit and determination.

Now SN is really showing the humane side of her character, her leadership and a caring thought for the not so privileged. Keep it up Saina!

17. dieter_spath

dieter_spath Regular Member

SN is a great and lonely fighter against top chinese players, very very respectable player in WS.

18. pujuma

pujuma Regular Member

don't think she actually palyed. I can't find no info

19. pujuma

pujuma Regular Member

> She is playing in China Masters this week also..............

don't think she actually palyed. I can't find no info

20. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.