Why is badminton so underrated/not popular

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason123, Apr 12, 2012.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I thought badminton in Indonesia was popular enough for all the above to happen? (large crowds, sponsors, tv coverage, big revenues, gambling). Is it true that in Indonesia football has always been rated higher/more popular than badminton? thanks

2. fauci

fauci Regular Member

On TV, every country essentially has a domestic version of the Olympics. From what I watched, the BBC only showed a WS game between Australia and another woman (sorry, I don't remember). Nothing else. German TV showed German players only. Badminton was shown on the Internet only in the US. Pretty much a side sport on TV in the west. Some consider it a status similar to archery.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

BBC showed nearly every match live, they had a red button channel that showed some, a bit on bbc3 and two of the BBC Olympic channels were dedicated to badminton for the duration of every session.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Most countries will only televise events in which they are strong in

You are so lucky (to be able to watch Olympic Badminton matches on the BBC).

In Australia, our ABC hardly show any Badminton matches (just because our AUS players are not good enough).

Sad, but true. Most countries will only televise events in which they are strong in (with hope for some medals).

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah it was very lucky, the only other badminton we get televised(uk) throughout the whole year is the last two days of the All England on Sky.

6. Norton

Norton Regular Member

business
    Yes popular but not be priority...large crowds yes, but sponsors ?? i dont think so, ie. milk company "MILO" they choosed vollley ball rather than badminton as trademark picture. :mad:.
    big revenues no, we lost many time in olimpic. gambling ?? no one gambling for Super Series or olympic badminton :D...

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sorry never been to Indonesia(soon hopefully) so excuse me for sounding ignorant, but why are there not many sponsors interested in badminton if it brings in large crowds?

8. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    actually football IS cheaper than badminton in term of cost for playing (for us mortal not for professional)
    cost to rent the court: five a side= Rp100,000
    badminton = Rp50,000 for student, or around Rp60,000 - Rp75,000 for non student at day (or 100,000 to 150,000 at night I don't know the price for five a side at night though)

five a side: divided to at least 10 people = Rp 10K per person
    while badminton at least 2 person = Rp 25K per person (for me, it is too expensive to play singles..) for 4 person: it is still 12.5K per person

now, even though I said 4 person = 12.5K per person, generally on lower level badminton, doubles takes less energy than singles
    then these 4 person would play around 2-3 hours (I even played for 4 hours each session) yeah, increase those money by 2-4 times

while football, it will be fixed to 10K per person and I don't think you will gonna play 3-4 hours five a side

for attire, most likely football is more expensive since football shoes usually more expensive than badminton shoes
    however these guys don't need shuttlecock like us (
    I used the cheap one garuda crystal green Rp45,000 per tube ($5) and it would cost more for good quality shuttles (such as king cobra, garuda red, gajahmada, etc)
    yeah, it put a hole into my wallet esp for students

of course I know you think about different term why badminton is famous
    they got so much sponsor, tv license, spectators, merchandise, and gambling

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Probably because it barely get's tv coverage/ too few large events per year. Crowds may be large, for badminton :D, but nothing compared to football. Little international success probably a factor as well ...

10. Norton

Norton Regular Member

business
    like i said we (Indonesia) have many good badminton players, not many audiences, that different things, for Football we (Indonesia) can say no many good football players, but we have many fanatic audiences football, so this is opportunity for sponsor to grab profits, isn't it ?

Anyway if you come Indonesia, please find me we do some badminton match. i posted in another thread ( Australian thread i think ) that i invite all of you if come Indonesia to find me and there is one India Badminton lover find me and we did match last night hehehe, His name Sanchit thank you Shanchit...he is a Consultant ERP for big company in Indonesia

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Interesting point, because Indonesia dominated badminton at one point and maybe if there was enough money surrounding it then that would have continued, strange that even in a country like Indonesia where people are so passionate about the sport it still can't flourish properly. On a side note severe lack of international success:D has not effected their football.

12. Norton

Norton Regular Member

business
    Nice to hear from you brother "setanah air"...:)
    lets calculated in a month :
    (sorry for you guys i used Rupiah for compare you can use another currency )

Badminton :
    Players : 8 person
    rent court : rp 45k per hour x 3 hours x 4 times ( a month ) =Rp 540k / a month for 8 person
    + shuttlecock 8 tube @12 ( 8 x Rp45k ) = Rp 900rb

Football / Futsal : 10 person
    rent court : 150k per hour x 2 hours x 4 times ( a month ) = Rp 1.200k / a month

can you see...i just calculated for football 2 hours every play with 10 person ( it was not fair in fact for comparison badminton i calculated only 8 person, but still badminton cheaper )
    what about if i use same comparation ??

13. Ython

Ython Regular Member

Denmark won men singles before in 1996 Olympic . Can't remember exactly.

14. Dread97

Dread97 Regular Member

It's too bad badminton isn't as popular as say, basketball or soccer. I think part of the problem is that people usually recognize it as a novelty game, one for backyard BBQ and other summer activities. Combine that with the fact that there are fewer games/tournaments as other sports (eg. basketball hockey ect.) and the it creates a recipe for a sport that is less sponsored, and therefore less popular. It's a shame too because usually when people ask what sport I play and I answer badminton they usually just dismiss that. If people had more coverage to badminton i would think it would grow very popular