Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan, I don't know what words could do you justice. In badminton, I've run out of superlatives to describe you, so I shan't say more, superfluous.

SIMPLY THE GREATEST

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Now on with the wedding planner and invitation cards distributed across the badminton realm, the last badminton related-thing we hear from Lin Dan is this:

"If Chong Wei plays in Rio, I will too"

3. repentedboy

student la
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Is it true,did Lin Dan really said that? Please cite your source, thank you.

But seriously I doubt he can do a Peter Gade whose longevity and perseverance is unmatched, truly Mr Evergreen. Frankly,if Lin Dan can continue playing near his best for the next two years or so, I'd be more than satisfied. My worry now is immediately after his double Olympic gold feat,his mind may be in semi-retirement state,hopefully not.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Possibly (or is it confirmed?) Peter's swan song, a fitting finale for a great player himself.

Peter The Great Gade, I salute ! You'd be sorely missed.

6. repentedboy

student la
    Lin and Lee's rivalry might extend through to Rio2016 - China Daily

Chinese shuttler Lin Dan released his autobiography Until the End of the Worldon the same day he won the gold medal at the London Olympics, whileMalaysian finalist Lee Chong Wei, whom Lin beat to take the gold, published hisautobiography, Dare to Be a Champion, late last year.

The books' titles hint at the reality that the pair's rivalry will likely continue.
    The recently crowned Chinese champion "Super Dan" is ready to fight at the next Games inRio, especially after he heard Lee will extend his quest to claim Olympic gold to 2016.

"If Lee plays (in Rio), I will, too," the world No 1 told China Daily in London on Monday - one dayafter he repeated the victory he also claimed in Beijing in 2008.

The win extended Lin's record over Lee to 14-6.
    Since Lin's Beijing victory, he also beat Lee in the finals of the 2010 Asian Games and the2011 World Championships. Lee's major win over Lin was at the 2011 All EnglandChampionship final.
    "Lin is the greatest badminton player in the world," Lee said after defeat.

"I just can't beat him when we meet. The good thing is that there's only one Lin Dan in theworld."
    But one would be enough to derail Lee's gold aspirations if the pair clashes again in a majorfinal.
    Lin's response could be bad news for Malaysian badminton fans, who believe their icon couldwin gold in Rio.
    They have been hoping the media reports that London would be Lin's last Olympics were true.
    "There's always a period of reflection after the Olympics," said Lin, who will be 33 in 2016.

"I'm a responsible man. I will not rush to a decision (to retire from the Games). I'll think about it.But once I make the decision (to keep playing through 2016), I'll do my best, as I always have."
    Lin believes that even if he is too old to play in 2016, other young Chinese shuttlers won't letLee take the gold.
    "If I don't do it, then young players like Chen Long won't let him claim the gold," Lin said.

Lee, who ended Malaysia's Olympic medal drought - which had lasted since the 1996 Games -with the silver in Beijing, will be 34 years old in 2016. He had been struggling with an injurybefore London.
    But his coach and mentor Misbun Sidek believes Lee can make the final in 2016, as long as hekeeps fighting.
    "He overcame lots of difficulties before London and made it into the final," Sidek said.

"He is a great man. I would not be surprised to see him in the final in 2016 if he sustains hismotivation and focuses on training."
    While they're fiercely competitive rivals on the court, Lin and Lee are good friends off it.
    Lin invited Lee to his wedding to the world's former women's No 1, Xie Xingfang.
    "I am looking forward to meeting him in China," Lee said.

"We don't have to compete. We can just sit down and chat like friends."

7. repentedboy

student la
  8. random.badmin1

random.badmin1 Regular Member

Anyone know where we can get this? Will it also have an English translated version??

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I believe there should be an English edition,otherwise they won't translate the title as Till the End of The World. Maybe those in Hong Kong might get it in English ahead of the rest,anybody knows?

It'll be great value if it also includes a DVD with some of his matches, interviews,training sessions,personal lives ,trivia,etc.

#3369 Justin L, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  10. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

LD will also playing till Rio 2016? wow! now i believe that it's really need one LCW to take LD walk the path together. :)

now, let's wait for LD wedding news first. :D

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i don't know.

i only saw LCW's biography once (in Chinese only). And that was at CYF.

12. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

sorry, would you mind to tell me what is CYF?

13. repentedboy

student la
    Lin Dan is only 30++ and he still has what it takes to play good badminton at that age.

If he and LCW can popularise the sport in South America where the hispanics only worship nothing else but football. I dont see why they should quit so early before Rio 2016.

If USA does not give a damn about Badminton as a sports, they stop wasting their time trying convince these ignorant rednecks who sees how great a sport is if there's an American white excelling in the sport.

Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei will benefit the sport with their rivalry if they take it to the next level by playing in South America and Africa. These are the ones who could potentially grow interest into the sports.

14. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

but to be honest, i don't see LD could maintenance his condition as good as LCW. LCW has better chance to maintain his physical performance i think. but just my opinion only.

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  16. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

17. repentedboy

student la
    Lin Dan should stay on and keep working hard to face new adversities.

However, he doesnt have to shoulder the burden like he once did. It's time for him to announce that he will play second fiddle to Chen Long as Chen Long will be next man to beat. Only then Lin Dan can start enjoying his game and do not need to feel unnecessary pressure since he doesnt like having one.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

There are two things that can derail or end a top athlete's career: one is injury,the other,lack of motivation.

The first one,Lin Dan has fortunately been able to cope pretty well by not giving his 100% in every match/tournament, by just dong enough to win, esp the last couple of years when age is catching up, particular considering his explosive physically demanding style of attacking play.

As for lack of motivation, once it hits you,there's practically nothing much anyone or anything can do for you. I always quote Tennis legend Bjorn Borg as a classic example - his sudden shock announcement to retire at age 26 (twenty-six) when he's still on top of the game, simply for lack of motivation which was the explanation he gave (and no amount of money could entice him to change his mind). This is my greatest concern now after his historic second Olympic gold victory. I truly hope I'm wrong and that he'll surprise me.

In his book launch,he said he would play in Rio 2016 if LCW does? That's heady,euphoric talk immediately after London's astounding feat. Let's wait a while for his exhilaration to cool down to hear some honest sensible talk,better still watch his actions.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I really find it hard to imagine MS badminton without LD and LCW at least until someone good enough comes along, Chen Long isn't quite there yet.

19. repentedboy

student la
    I strongly believe Lin Dan will carry on if he is needed and at the same people stop putting too much pressure on him after what he has done.

I dont want him to end up like Liu Xiang fortunately. Liu Xiang has actually done enough to make the Chinese people proud but too bad the expectations and pressure from their own people made Liu Xiang's condition much worse.

Seeing what happened to Liu Xiang, Lin Dan wont want that to happen to him either. As long as the pressure is no longer there on his shoulder and the baton gets passed on to Chen Long, he will play on.

20. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Chen Long can be as good as Lin Dan , after watching him for a few years , he has improved alot and the ability is there , but need time to mature and gain those vital experience. He is still a bit raw , in 2 years CL will be a force.
    For Lin Dan being 33/34 at Rio might be abit much to ask for him to win again ( he have already won everything ) , but I can see LCW could still be motivated and keep going in 2016.

I am not sure about Chen Jin , it would be hard for him to even qualify for the next Olympic as there are a few talents from the youth emerging