Wang Yihan ( 王仪涵 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by suetyan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Wang Yihan was not happy with Wang Xin's defeat

Not only she was gravely upset by her gold medal loss, I never thought she would say such thing to vent her anger (sort of) and sympathy for Wang Xin.

Excerpt from Yahoo UK Sports News:
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/no-medals-sportsmanship-womens-singles-185100871--spt.html

The win was still big news for India and a clutch of Indian reporters attended winner Li and runner-up Wang Yihan's press conference to ask their opinion of Nehwal as a player.

"I don't have any comment," silver medallist Wang said, bluntly enough to make Chinese reporters in the room wince. "Wang (Xin) was definitely going to win.

"It's because she got injured that (Nehwal) won ... so there's nothing to say about that."

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

No gold but silver...
    Four times in a row losing to Li Xuerui, her biggest stumbling block recently. AE final, BAC final, INA SSP semifinal and the huge one London OG final.

3. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Yihan oh Yihan, it's not quite nice. hhh :(

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Oh, whatever! If these girls knew exactly what the right thing to say was, each and every time, they'd be making a lot more money and influencing people by being in the diplomatic corps. Give them a break, guys! Even the press loves a little spice, it helps sell col-cms. And remember, most of them are still girls: playing pro when most of us would have been completing higher education. They know about as much of the real world as they are allowed to experience.

End of a huge tournament; so much emotion! Hundreds of strangers crowding you in a strange place, tired, exhausted mentally, physically, emotionally. How many of you people would do the right thing each and every time under such circumstances? I'd really love to see that! :rolleyes:

So easy to pass judgement, and be critical about each and every word. It does not reflect very nicely about what we are all about. :(

5. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

ups, sorry. i'm WYH fan too, and my post was just because i'm afraid saina fans would attack her for those words. :)

6. repentedboy

student la
    Who cares about her ? She will be defeated again for her arrogance by the Chinese.

I hope this time it's Wang Shixian turn in Rio 2016. Wang Yihan will be there to help out.

7. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

Ah well, all these press conference right after matches are only there to pull some tasty comment from the players. They are still filled up with emotions: anger, joy, self confidence, ... . We all know how a certain percentage of the press is just a pack of vultures. The Indian reporters knew exactly what was coming.

8. anilsreedhar

anilsreedhar Regular Member

come on guys, i am a huge fan of wang yihan and was supporting her in the semi, but these are not good words to say by any sportsman or woman. i am not saying this as an indian, i am just saying this as a former sportsman myself.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wang Yihan, this past two years, from the 2010 Uber Cup debacle to this year's Uber Cup miraculous fightback vs Sung JH, and then now this London Olympic near-miss in the gold medal match, has been a roller coaster yet eventful as well as exceedingly successful ride for your career. Though you didn't win that elusive Olympic gold as you happened to come up against your unstoppable young teammate LXR whose meteoric rise coincided with the games, yet how many wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

In fact,how many going through what you've been through would have survived and come thus far, for this you deserve more than a pat on your shoulders. Time and again you've proven your stupendous ability to dig your heels in and overcome adversity by saving yourself from near defeats, creating an image of towering mental strength and unconquerable spirit when the going gets tough. What a contrast from two years ago.

I believe you've what it takes to grow from strength to strength and scale greater heights henceforth. Your destiny is in your hands. You can do it!

10. anilsreedhar

even as i say this, like justin says, i am still a big fan of hers becoz of her fighting spirit, but her sportsmanship is not quite up to par

11. repentedboy

student la
    So you are saying Nehwal's sportsmanship is better than Wang Yihan ? Wishful thinking. Look at her when she wins titles. Behaving and acting over the top. When she got the bronze by the default, she acted as if she has already won it.

Such a persona needs a hard lesson from great players.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Someone bring the men in white coats in, please....

13. anilsreedhar

what an idiot, when did i ever talk about saina. i was talking about a player who i like

14. anilsreedhar

anyway, i am not in for an argument with a person of your limited faculties.

15. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    seriously... what is wrong with her comment? it is just what she felt at that point of time. guess she was abit upset about her loss in the finals. no time to think about diplomatic answers to the press. just like saina will think otherwise as well. so what is the big deal? everyone can have their own opinion.

16. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    There's nothing wrong with what WYH said at all. It's good that she was so bluntly honest. Skills-wise, Saina is far inferior to the top Chinese WS players and Wang Xin would have trounced her for the bronze medal had she not gotten injured.

Of course, Saina has to talk big and say that she would have won even if Wang Xin hadn't gotten injured...there's sponsorships, bankability, national pride and all that at stake...

17. anilsreedhar

mrinalini, u r right about the superiority of the chinese. saina can only defeat them on her best days and obviously the bronze medal contest was not her best day unfortunately for poor WX. i especially like the grace of WYH and her playing style and, pardon me, her looks too :)

18. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

^like this. :D

19. repentedboy

student la
    Come on Wang Yihan, make good use of your remaining four years to complete a Super Series Grand Slam.

Collect these remaining titles;

China Masters
    Singapore Open
    India Open

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Not an idiot. Just a bigot.