Was the LD vs LCW gold medal final the best match ever?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by galaxyduo, Aug 5, 2012.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I would agree that it wasn't the best match I've ever seen but it certainly was very tense.

Although I wanted LD to win, I personally think LCW should have won that match. LCW was on better form, played better than LD and deserved to win but too many silliy errors and lapses in concentration gave LD the match. LD did not play anywhere near his best. It showed against Sasaki in the SF which he could have lost.

I think LD really should be edging towards retirement now, I can't see him keeping up this level for too much longer. He's become a little more passive in his play, less attacking and seems somewhat slower than what he once was. But who has China got lined up to replace Super Dan?

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yes, correct. Both players too were in better condition last year. Drift too was not too much of an issue, also the background colour was way better than lovey-dovey pink ......

3. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    To me, the 1st game IS the best match ever. Don't compare to 2008 Olympics, LCW wasn't as developed then as he is now. Don't compare with Zhao and Joko match, as Joko was simply outclassed and hence, uneven match. Yes, last year's world championship is hard to go unnoticed, but the speed and tempo weren't this fast. Plus point, all spectators could see the hunger between both players more than last year's. 2nd plus point, no nasi kandar last year. :D
    3rd point: Look at the speed of defence and attack. Look at LCW's cross court smashes. LCW took the shuttle very very early.

4. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    LCW seen really disappointed

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    btw, who won the coin toss before the match begin?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For pure game quality, I do not think it's the best. However, if you fact in the intensity, and the fact that's the last OG final between 2 of the best ever MS players, then it's ranking definitely going high.

I was actually hoping LCW to win it, as LD pretty much have everyting in his resume at this point. It definitely means a lot of more for LCW than to LD. That's why I actually feel bad when LCW hit out on the last rally. But have to say, LD maintained his focus for 4 more year, just for this one after OG 2008. So, he deserve it.

7. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

because of what was on the line, and the closeness in the score, this final was certainly the most nerve wracking!

I would say the level of both players was higher than the 2011 world champs, because in the 2011 WC I felt Lin was not quite at his best. As a result, I was almost convinced LCW was going to take the 2011 WC title.

Here at the 2012 OG, both players were in prime form. Standard was so high. Errors were invariably caused by the drift. Otherwise, unforced errors were very few and far between. Points were invariably won instead of gifted.

8. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

I think WC2011 beats it. I found in the final, LD was playing too much LCW style (long rallies.. more playing to LCW's strengths, even though ultimately LD still played better). In the third game, LCW try putting in more pace, and LD responded similarly (but more effectively). I don't think LD played very well or was trying very hard. So WC2011 all the way :p

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i think lin dan & he choose the court and let lcw serve

10. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

THis is a good match but not the best. Too many UE , thanks to the breeze. In fact from all the Olympic 2012 badminton final, the WS match between WYH and LXR is the best in term of quality and the never die attitude from both. Maybe cause they play against teammate, they play all out without too much tension or nerve like any other finals inlucing the MS match.

But the MS final still better than the WD, MX and MD finals.

11. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I think the umpire and line judges were too much involved in the match which spoil minority of the play. Drift play a big factor as well which affected the play. However , it has been the best match between the two players as I was there to witness it .

p.s does anyone know where the drift came from ;;; as the air conditioning and air circulation systems was off during the match.

12. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Yes , me too. WC' 11 was when LCW had no injury and probably the best chance to win a major over his arch nemesis with 2 match points in the 3rd game. In this OG'12 final we see, LD was always a step ahead of LCW in terms of fitness, stamina, speed and recovery. It was just LCW's determination in the final that made the match close this time.

So, WC'11 ahead of this match, but nevertheless a match to remember when LCW came out of injury to come close to a gold medal.

In this match , LCW is not as fast as in WC'11. It could be due to injury or him ageing or getting older now.

13. gjoo888

gjoo888 Regular Member

Agree that the WC 11 was probably a better match in terms of the quality of play, but the importance and magnitude of the match makes it one of the best matches every played. Too many unforced errors in the 1st game (mostly by LD) and the lopsided score in the 2nd game did not initially have the makings of one of the best matches in history.

However, I think the third game was one of the best (if not the best), most highly competitive games you'll ever see, especially when you consider the stakes. When you take into account that the match was the most anticitpated match in the history of badminton, was the Olympic Games, overshadowed the women's doubles fiasco, cleared the way for a China sweep of the gold medals, denied Malaysia thier first and only gold medal and was the most watched match in the history of the sport, it was probably the most important match ever played and certainly lived up to the hype. Maybe not the best match ever played, but for me, the most memorable I've ever seen.

14. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Many good posts here. WC'11 was a better match overall and not just because I was there to witness it:)

I do agree that both LD and LCW were technically at a higher level at OC'12. However, the weight of the occasion may have played too heavily on them such that they did not play as freely as they did at WC'11.

P.S. The umpire at WC'11 was just sensational, the guts and sound judgements were simply exemplary. The quality of officiating at the OC'12 match was a bit of a let down.

#34 RedShuttle, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  15. random.badmin1

random.badmin1 Regular Member

This was a grea match. But The World Championships last year was a lot more exciting and more intense too. Lots of big smashes and fast rallies in that match. The 2012 Olympics match was more of playing it safe and calming the nerves

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    interesting... Lin Dan won the coin toss and lost the first game.

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The idea is to have the better side in his favour to help with the critical finish when stamina is a determining factor. It means CHN knows, because both are equally strong, it s not possible for either to win in two games but in three.

18. Depan

Depan Regular Member

Just watched the quarter final between LD vs SS. As a neutral observer, I feel it is more entertaining than the final between LD vs LCW. The final is just another meet between these two players. To me there is nothing new, just the same old stokes they played. But in the quarter final, SS really played well and pushed LD out of his comfort zone. LD was so frustrated (this reminds me how PSH beat LD in several occasions). If SS has some of LCW’s skills, he would have won the game easily. In the final there is no sign of frustration from LD and he is well prepared and comfortable in playing LCW.

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    LD's post game interview, LD said he was 'nervous/scared' of playing LCW in the final after seeing LCW KO CL easily. Contrary to OLY08 MSF, LCW had played his best game he could (I was impressed the way Dato played even though he lost) and the result could go either way. LCW dropped to his knees after he lost, cos' he knew he had missed a golden opportunity to win the match when LD was not at his best form as he did in Beiging...arr, that gold bar and 2M ringgit and what-else endorsements that follow, ouch.

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Lin Dan never said that, is this the interview you're referring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtFFAvo8sNE