ANNOUNCEMENT: Ashaway Improves its ZyMax Line!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DinkAlot, Apr 27, 2011.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

you're talking less than 0.5g difference it really shouldn't be that noticible.

2. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    at this rate, you should wash the top of your racquet in between every rally just in case theres some dust on it

3. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

LOL........hahahaha
    ya...it really shouldnt matter much tbh. maybe you just feel like it makes a difference so youre paranoid about it?

4. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    all these string dosent really make a different in term of weight

5. fleet2003

fleet2003 Regular Member

6. m.chan

m.chan New Member

Student, Coach
    Hey guys,

I have used bg80 for years and have recently switched to zymax 65 (due to a sponsorship change). In general zymax65, though having good repulsion and durability, felt quite soft to me. In order to get the hard feeling of bg80, I have increased my tension from 30x32 to 34x36. The increased tension achieved the hard feeling i am going after... unfortunately, since upping the tension 2 moths ago, I have broken 4 rackets and my sponsor is getting a little worried. Because of this, I am thinking of switching to z62 (this would be quite a hassel because I currently have 2 partially used reels of z65)

my question is,
    Is Z62 able to retain decent durability while being strung at a tension that would emulate the hard feeling similar to bg80 at 31 lbs?

I would really appreciate if you guys could give me your opinion,

Thanks! :)

7. hexarfan

hexarfan New Member

guys, does Zymax 65 hold the tension very well?

Ashaway says Zymax 67 is "Lowest Tension Loss of any Badminton String"

8. limsandy

limsandy Regular Member

The short answer is no. I have used ZM62 at 24 lbs and it broke on my 3rd session. I usually string with BG66UM @ 28 lbs which lasts 1-2 months. I have also tried ZM65 and although I haven't broken any, the repulsion is not as good as BG66UM or NGB98.

9. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

I have the same thoughts, tried ZM65 red also, not as repulsive as BG66.

10. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    ZM62 has a soft feeling

11. m.chan

m.chan New Member

Student, Coach
    thanks limsandy, but i had a bit of a different result.
    I got a few indavidual packs of zm62 and tried it out. I strung 2 rackets at 27 x 29 and was pretty impressed by the zm62's repulsion, i agree not as good as bg66um, but it does feel more crisp. also, the hitting sound is great. I did however break strings on my 2nd go with zm62 (my fault, mis hit on a full smash). My other racket with zm62 is still intact after 8 sessions.

I know there have been a ton of reviews on this string already, but I'll quickly give my opinion

good:Hitting sound is the best of any string I've ever tried 10/10
    Repulsion is quite good 7/10
    Control is great 9/10
    Quite crisp at highish tensions 8/10

bad: Duribility is questionable (I will need to play more with it to test this) 6/10
    A fair bit of movement of the strings, I find myself readjusting the strings often

Overal: A very good string with good repulsion, crispness and great control. The only possible downfall is questionable durability. Over all I give this string 8/10!

12. bandit1281

bandit1281 New Member

Student
    Anybody else finding the new Zymax 62 to be rubbish in feel when compared with the old one? Perhaps I have just got used to the old string, but this new string just doesn't feel as alive up around 31-32lbs. Not really bothered about durability, as I cut my strings out after 3 or 4 days anyway. I feel it is a funny move to make what is obviously a performance string above all else more durable in favour of lower performance, but there you go. Also, were people really breaking the old string that often? I am a power player through and through, but hit the shuttle pretty cleanly, and I don't think I managed to break the old string once! I even left it in for around about 45 hours of playing time I think, and it was fine!

Really disappointed as apparently it is impossible for me to get hold of a reel of the old Zymax 62 in the UK. Anyone have one they want to sell?

13. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

my zm67 finally broke after like 6 months........what a frickin beast.
    but then again, im not exactly a hard hitter and was using the red ones

14. mcken200

mcken200 Regular Member

I have my Yonex VT80 strung with Zm65 Red 26lbs:

I love it , so impressed by its overall performance and when called upon, the power you wield when you smash is incredible. It feels similar to BG66UM to be but much fiercer and controlled especially in the backcourt area.

Also I just got a new racket:

Victor MX London Zm67 Silver 26lbs:

I have an issue with this setup, i didn't expect the strings to be strung so tightly and now I have no power in smashes or clears.

Can anyone advise the best way to lose tension quickly in strings ? (it will be hard if Ashaway claim this to hold tension well...)

15. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ If anything your zm67 should feel *less* tight than zm65 at the same tension. More likely your lack of power is that you haven't adapted to a less head heavy racket going from a vt80 to the mx London.

16. mcken200

mcken200 Regular Member

I guess so as they are such different rackets, I've been too reliant on the VT80's power.
    I will have to give it some time.

But my MX London looks like its electric strung too compared to my VT80 which is strung by hand.

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Finally broke my ZM67 today on a mishit at the top of the racket. I can now restring with the ZM65 :)

18. nightin9ale

nightin9ale Regular Member

@madbad: How long did zm67 lasted you? Also, please let us know what you think about zm65 once you have enough experience with it. Thanks.

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The ZM67 lasted about 3 months, which is a bit of a record for me as I snap strings with ridiculous regularity. Will give my views on the ZM65 once I've restrung. I'm looking forward to it! :)

20. nightin9ale

nightin9ale Regular Member

That's good to know. 3 months is pretty darn good especially to someone like you snapping them with "ridiculous regularity." Can't wait to hear from you, and hopefully zm65 will last on par with the 67.