2012 Olympics Day 9 - Men's Singles Finals (Gold/Bronze)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Who will win Men's Single Gold?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2012.
  1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lin Dan (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. aznguy

aznguy Regular Member

That was an unbelievable game, could feel my heart pounding on every shot played and nerves fraying with every bird that got past either player. Admittedly im an LD fan but you really had to feel sorry for LCW after this one, he poured his heart out into this game for himself and MAS. Unfortunately there can be only one winner but im sure LCW is still a hero in the hearts of all his supporters. Congratulations to both on a match well played, definitely the best badminton i've witnessed in my life

2. Lento

Lento Regular Member

The good thing about this match is that 1 billion (!!!!!) people tuned in to watch it. Badminton is the winner.

3. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

Now that's just awesome!

4. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

so maybe, badminton would still hanging there in the next OGs?

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    #785 cobalt, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. MHHung

MHHung Regular Member

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.​

7. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

Noooo, with true sportsmanship, you should say sorry after winning each point. If you win a match, you need to issue a formal apology to your opponent in the first place. No emotion is allowed in badminton either before or after shaking hands with your opponents. Every true athlete should know how to eliminate his emotion or at least conceal it complete. How? I don't know. But what we have Mr. Lento here, who is apparently an expert on that :cool:.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Oh darn! Well, sorry, I guess I'm not able to do anything about that! :(

9. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

Please don't answer just half of my post. Otherwise, double standard is the obviously conflicts with your view of the world.

-----------------------------------------------------

He is a troll because he doesn't even know what caused the match throwing before he wrote the news with fancy words. As a Chinese news reportor he should support his own country man in the first place just like BWF should support its' player first not stab them in the back.

Talked about which, the double standard in this Olympic is not a rare thing. Just look at the British cycling team for example.

10. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Without the group stages , of course.

11. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Not going to bother with whatever history you and Lento share.

No he shouldn't and only a Jingoist would think in such a manner. My country right or wrong is completely immoral. Why should I support someone just because by some accident of luck we happen to share the same flag? It is attitudes like yours that make the dictators and the crimes they commit against humanity possible.

The BWF has no mandate to support only it's players. The BWF's overwhelming mandate is to protect the integrity of the game. Not to protect the interests of a couple of spoiled brats and their respective nations who seem to think the game owes them something.

Moral relativism is not a valid defense against the consequences of your actions. You do not get found innocent of a crime by pointing out a case where someone else got away with that same crime. What double standard? Cycling isn't governed by the same governing body as badminton. As for the incidents themselves, there would be no controversy in cycling if that jackass cyclist hadn't shot off his mouth and even if you don't believe his subsequent claim of it being a joke it's is impossible to tell from watching the fall whether it was deliberate or not. On the other hand, you would have to have the IQ of a retarded amoeba to have not realized what the WDs teams were up to. (apologies if I've overestimated your IQ).

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Sure you can. If you switch to Firefox with stealthy plugin. ;)

13. Lento

Lento Regular Member

Very well said, thunder. Hiddenpower exemplifies all that is wrong with 'nationalism' (i.e. blind, unthinking devotion).

14. Lento

Lento Regular Member

The very fact that you have to use such base level sarcasm is a testament to your lack of useful input on this matter. Well done.

15. HiddenPower

I'm getting tired of this. I will make sure I thank EVERYONE next time I win a badminton match before I go celebrate. Your point taken:D

16. HiddenPower

The problem with BWF is it has no guts to admit its own fault in this incident. It's simple as that.

And the problem with that Chinese reporter is a whole different issue. When the WD match throwing news came out, there were so many "news" blogs and reporters in China jumps on this and supported BWF's decision and blame the players. Those people don't know badminton, don't know BWF made the tournament a round-robin and don't know winning the match means facing your own team in the semi. They just kept piling on the players. Why? I would say it's because their lack of faith in their own players, but deep down, I think it's their lack of self-confidence - a big problem with a lot of Chinese people today.
    The BWF is on moral high ground, so everyone should just support it no matter what? Without dig deeper in to the issue? And just blame the player who follows the rule made by the BWF?

Here, I'm not saying WD match throwing is right, but under all the circumstances, it's not wrong either.

A lot of people say BWF is just trying to keep Badminton in Olympics. Well, if Golf is considered a sport in Olympics (it will be in 2016), why shouldn’t Badminton? Badminton is much more popular in Asia than American/Europe, but that shouldn’t be the reason to get it axed, right?

In the end, I feel both issues of Chinese report and BWF doesn’t admit its own faults are different, but connected somehow. Maybe there is something BWF should learn from the International Cycling Association (about how it stands behind its own rules and can’t careless about all the cheating/match throwing accusation hype). It just makes one feel ICA is more dependable then BWF.

For the sake of Badminton and the sake of all badminton players, please BWF, grow a pair!

#796 HiddenPower, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  17. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

Useful or not, let's shake hands first:D

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    BWF has no moral ground. :D If not for the IOC's intervention, it is likely the DQ wouldn't have happened, either.
    Sorry, but no matter how often or in how many different ways this is said, I will never agree to it. There is a line a person of any sense of integrity will not cross. You choose convenience or integrit. You cannot blur the lines.

May it should get axed. That will be the real wake-up call for BWF, to become a professional outfit. ;)
    Join the back of the line on this one! It ends somewhere near the moon! :p

19. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Same goes to the loser, should he/she first goes to hand shake and congratulate the winner before duck down and cry for true sportsmanship? I beg not....

20. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Sadly no it's not. Who is the BWF? Who are the key influences behind the BWF. The problem with the BWF isn't a matter of guts. The problem with the BWF is structural. The problems with the BWF are merely a reflection of the degraded morality of the international badminton community.

based on your posting these 'people' are ones who share your demographic.

Nonsense, a classic elimination draw can result in the same thing.

Yeah that's it, it all comes down to some cultural stereotype. (MODS WHERE'S MY SARCASM SMILEY!!)

You're confused. There is moral ground high or low. The BWF sets the rules for international competitions and also sets the code of conduct for players taking part in their sanctioned events and enforce those rules and codes. Funny how now CHN supporters are suddenly against the BWF now. Yet not a peep from them during the whole qualification process to the OG.

Very few people here have said the players are solely to blame in fact I can't think of any.

Bull$hit, nothing more to say on this point. If your moral compass is so far gone, you are incapable of understanding. Any explanation of this concept to you is useless

Based on your postings I'm going to guess you are a CHN fan. If that is the case, you should be very careful what you wish for.

#800 thunder.tw, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012