2012 Olympics Day 9 - Men's Singles Finals (Gold/Bronze)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Who will win Men's Single Gold?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2012.
  1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lin Dan (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    funny to read about LD exaltations. Sure for a man that won all medals that human were able to create in badminton sport, even second OG not smth he couldn't dream before.
    So all this wonderful run where he also had a chance to win 100 metres race was only to pamper the crowd, show them they sit and wait not in vain and it is really big big victory for him))
    I dont think LCW really need then LD coming to him immediately and saying "oh my dear friend don't cry, you played great and you deserved a win not less than me!"
    It's not that kind of situations.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

QUick thought on the MS Final

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but i assume there are a mixed bag of opinions and feelings...

On the MS Final itself, what can i say. The place was packed & it was boisterous throughout the match. With chants for LCW and Jiayou filling the stadium. THis is probably my 3rd or 4th time time watching LD vs. LCW play head to head live and personally, both players truly went out and played their hearts out..I know some of the LCW's fans are feeling a bit sad, but they shouldn't as i feel he gave it his all. It was just LD who wanted it a bit more & was just a bit better player on that day... Truly enjoyed the spectacle.

*Re the mention of the 9-5 controversy, i thought it shouldn't be much of a factor.

The way i saw the match :
    1st game : LD and LCW dueled and exchanged a lot of rallies with LCW dictating most of the tempo & LD making several errors which led to LCW's pts. Perhaps LD was trying to take out a bit of energy from LCW. I thought LD only went 65-70% speed.
    2nd game : It stayed close in the 1st half. But after LD executed the down the line smash, after he made that wild looking over the head cross shot which went out, either LCW just decided to let the 2nd game go or LD decided to move up a gear. I thought LD then upped his speed to 75-80%, with a few glimpses of that 2008 OG form.
    3rd game : It was really close throughout. When the score was 18-16 in favor of LCW, i thought he would nail it & bring home the 1st ever Gold for MAS. But then come LD, charging to take over the lead...The winning match pt was played so patiently by LD.
    Afterwards, it was a wild dash for LD and one more time, LCW was just left sitting there in disappointment..

Overall, i thought LCW and LD were both equal & either one could've won it. Congrats to LD and to LCW for giving their best...There was probably a moment in the match where i felt a bit of fatigue was setting in w/LCW, but he fought all the way..Just seemed LCW's momentum kept going down after that 1st game.

At this moment in time & with their latest result, it's pretty much a solid proof that LCW has given his best and this is the best LCW can give against LD. I just can't imagine or figure out any other way to believe LCW can beat LD outright, WITHOUT somehow LD allowing errors or giving pts away. At the end of the day, it will be up to LD if he wants it or not, and if he wants it bad enough, nothing LCW can do.

* will have a short video of LD's winning match pt shortly & his wild dash of the win..
    **btw, thankfully none of the players got injured this time around while i was there watching..
    ..eaglehelang is definitely not abang :p..won't call her that unless you want to see her coming in with her purse swinging..:p

#722 ctjcad, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Thanks for the wonderful summary Chris :)

4. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Lin Dan's greatest achievements are . . .

pjswift >>> living in a constant reality denial is somewhat painful ;) and it's unhealthy as well!!

-------------
    "We can evade reality, but we can not evade the consequences of evading reality." -- Ayn Rand

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..he has a decent chance, if he wants to keep playing/competing & without LD playing, who knows, LCW may win it all..but 4 yrs away is quite a wait & plus he's getting hitched next yr, so that could play as a factor in his focus..
    totally understandable with LCW's situation and i can't fault him for sort of bringing that up esp. on his match exposure/being a bit rusty w/short timeframe to train due to the ankle injury...but throughout the match, i really didn't see much signs of his troubled ankle; he was moving & jumping all over the court fine or at least close to 100%..For me, i don't know if it would've made any difference if LCW didn't suffer the ankle injury prior to the OG?..

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frustrating, for the last couple of hours at the end of yesterday, I couldn't post anything as my Internet started acting up, esp the BC forum. Nevermind,this afternoon ,managed to catch up reading the flurry of lively exchanges and am glad a number of posters expressed views and opinions that coincided with my sentiments for which I've clicked "Like", thank you. A bit too late and meaningless to dwell on those issues,let's move on.

China's achievement is phenomenal,unprecedented,historic,exceeding everybody's expectations including themselves. It's going to be a hard act to follow not just for the rest of the badminton world but for China as well for a long time to come. My wholehearted congratulations and unreserved praise to China, and to those CHN and non-CHN Olympians my heartfelt commiserations whether for missing their mark,not getting their long hoped-for goal, most of all to the unfortunate few afflicted with injuries.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Friend,beautiful, I couldn't have said it any better.

There she goes again and again,aren't she sick and tired of herself? The reality and truth is no matter how she rants and raves or whines and whimpers here , CHN just keep winning and winning while she continues to wring her heart and bang her head against the wall - I'm beginning to pity her,really I do.

Her visceral animosity, obsessive CHN hating and bashing borders on the insane - you're right,isn't she mentally a slave to it ? Get a life, free herself, be happy. I wonder what has China, a five-thousand-years-old civilization with 1.3 billion people, done to her,poor soul. Wang Yihan has overcome the Uber Cup 2010 demon in her, hope this lady can exorcize hers quickly,life is too short,uncertain and precious to waste it like that,such a shame.

Let me borrow your quote again: "We can evade reality, but we can not evade the consequences of evading reality." -- Ayn Rand

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Bravo,Galaxy,I second it ! Not for KariSeng but purely in the spirit of fairness,impartiality and objectivity. What's even more amazing was the mods were accused of being Lin Dan fans and therefore soft and tolerant towards him, beat that.

9. laonong

laonong Regular Member

maybe you two and sit and have a good talk or have a good badminton game as you live in the same plance.

10. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

I'm sure LCW would do the same thing, running around, jumping and kissing every inch of the floor, hug his soon-to-be-datuks-coaches first had he won the gold medal. He does all the celebration 1st in all england before shaking his opponent's hand. Just that we don't get to witness how he celebrates big victories often, doesn't mean he's not capable of doing that too. LD is merely being overjoyed having won his 2nd title and won over the most worthy opponent. if he had just smile and then walk over to shake his hand, it will be like 'oh, thats the expected ending.. lets shake hands, nth to celebrate about'

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Impeccable performance between the best two men's singles players the world had ever seen. Bar, of course, their errors due to mismanagement of the drift.LD showed another example of why he is the undisputed number one. While LCW portrayed the finest example of triumph of the Olympic spirit.It would be sad to see if this were to be the last time we shall ever see them together at a major final in the World Stage. No one else comes close.

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Oops, it was you not galaxy with the 'banana' comment. Eagle needs to increase power in specs :p

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

In the QF & Semi, even Finals, can see LCW's leg movements are not as smooth as his usual. His arm is stronger though, i.e. has more muscles. This is comparing to the usual dive down, quickly up, run forward in a jiffy LCW.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..they may meet again at another major final, but i feel the intensity won't be the same as this OG..This was, imo, LD's last goal for a major tourney/final..
    ..LCW's movement or reaction may not be as fluid, fast or quick w/ the after-effect of ankle injury, due to probably lack of conditioning/match exposure, but from what i saw he was getting to the shuttle fast enough at least in the Final..He also seemed to fatigue a bit as the match went on (reacting a bit late, esp. in the 3rd game); LD's errors were what sort of kept LCW in the match..

#734 ctjcad, Aug 6, 2012
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ahh, I've come across this saying except with the names changed.

It goes like this : Since Heaven creates a Lin Dan, why does it create a Lee CW ?

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hmm, personally,after this double Olympic gold medals, I'm even more certain Lin Dan's lack of motivation problem will become more pronounced - he would attend fewer tournaments as far as possible or allowed, esp the individual events but team championships still a must for him to do national duty. I daresay, he will become more beatable,play with less consistency and intensity which simply translate into more chances for others to win a few major titles from him.

Also time for his beloved XXF to give him a Little Lin Dan.:D Family comes first from now on,no doubt about it.

17. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

alot of people seems to think that LD doesnt deserve this gold.. Its not like he did not train at all for the last four years to reach this achievement! He just did not say it as often as LCW how hard he had trained and people making assumptions that he is not as hardworking as LCW. Both train and work equally to get to this stage. both deserve a recognition, not only LCW alone.. lets salute them! of, speaking of the salute thing LD did was rude, I remembered LCW said he will DEFINATELY salute if he wins the gold. Is he being rude in advance? no!

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

so why couldn't they deal with the drifts after so many matches?
    i think mainly due to both of them the respect, or in some extend scare of the other.
    Because of the mutual respect they both cannot play but perfect shots, anything less will get punished.

If the shots were not perfect LCW couldn't misjudged that close call at 18-19.

#738 AlanY, Aug 6, 2012
  19. Lento

Lento Regular Member

This really makes me laugh. Is this how the forum runs? If someone says something which goes against the forum zeitgeist, they are immediately villifed and accused of being a troll? It was interesting to note that the BBC interviewed a respected Chinese sport's journalist on the day when Chinese players were disqualified, and do you know what he said? I quote: "Unfortunately, this is just another example of the 'win at all cost' mentality that Chinese sport suffers from and is not a surprise to people who follow it." He also mentioned it happening in other sports played in China. Point being, winning and behaving in a sporting, dignified manner are not mutually exclusive, and as a neutral, I found that Chinese sportsman/coaches don't recognise this.

That is my opinion. Some people here need to be more tolerant and open minded of views which conflict with their own. I have massive respect for the quality of China's badminton and general sport, but I am often left very disappointed with their sportsmanship, or lack thereof.

20. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

First, no this is not how the Forum runs, it's just that the Mods/Admins don't need to let attacks to their person get away without any consequences. Otherwise I also think especially with this scandal that China/Kora/Indonesia have shown a great lack of sportsmanship. Not shaking hands immediately after winning an Olympic Gold Medal I definitely don't count as unsportsmanlike in a situation like this that is if you wanted to start with that again, which I'm definitely not accusing you of. Just saying.