Best String/Type of Grip

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by darvin99, Aug 3, 2012.

1. darvin99

darvin99 Regular Member

Student
    Hello! I'm new and I want to know what's the best string/string tension and grip for my racket

My racket is RSL Millenium Attack 3200 (Titanium Graphite) and my current string is ashaway and the tension is 27 lbs

But I wonder why everytime I hit the shuttle, it's just that I can't feel the impact like the sound we here when watching a badminton game..

someone tell me please

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    some string has different sound, ashaway zymax is not exactly what you want to say a loud string

for grip, you mean replacement grip or over grip?
    for replacement grip, I would recommend Karakal super PU grip or RKEP power master

3. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Just make sure you have the right String-Grip combination, otherwise you'll never be able to hit a decent shot

4. darvin99

darvin99 Regular Member

Student
    what could be the best combination for my racket? what would you like to recommend for a good string to hit a decent shot and has a good sound?

and about what's better? towel grip or the other one?

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    27 lbs for new player? try to lower the tension but it is down to personal taste

6. Perfektion

Perfektion Regular Member

Strings and Grip are very personal just like your racket imo. To choose a string by it's sound and not it's feeling is pretty stupid. If your string you currently is using feels good, keep it even if the sound is about odd.

7. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Again it's a Qns u have to answer urself eventually...i've seen very good players using low tensions and also high tension....so end of the day it's wat suits them best....all the variables like string tension, thickness, grips, head balance, shaft stiffness, etc it's very individual and getting general opinions really wont help u at all becoz we also dunno who the commentor is and how he plays....if u want, get somebody who plays with u often and probably he could be ur best advisor as he can see ur weakness and strengths... :)

8. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Hiya, are you new to Badminton or new to the forums?

Towel Grips are good for sweaty hands, but I really don't like them unless I'm in a very hot hall as I don't sweat that much.
    PU Grips a thicker grip giving a larger handle and some cushioning, probably best to start with these grips.
    Grap are really thin grips that provide a thin grip or can be placed over a PU grip and replaced frequently. They have good grip but depending on the brand need frequent changing.

String choice is your own and it won't make a difference at the start. Strings either 0.68 or 0.70mm would be ok, any thinner and it won't make any difference.
    Tension, 27 is too high for a beginner. 22 --> 24 --> 27 --> 30 that is how my tension changed over several years. Pro players tend to play at 30+ and it is technique more than string and tension that make their smashes sound like that.

9. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    there are no such thing the best string.....
    all string has their own advantage and disadvantages....
    there are thick and thin strings....
    like rackets and grips, strings also personal choice...
    our feel on the string maybe different, it's up to you to determine the best string for you.....
    im not sure what do you mean you are new, either new to BC or new to badminton....
    but 27lbs is tension for advance players....
    beginners should start with 18-21lbs, intermediate is 22-25lbs.....
    about Grip, there are 2 types, PU and towel grips...
    choose which grip suits you....

10. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Im using ZM 62 and 65..the sound produce by the string is great..

11. Gunnersfan

Student
    the same goes to BG66 ultimax.....
    i love the string....:)

12. darvin99

darvin99 Regular Member

Student
    I'm new in bc and been playing badminton for almost 5 years and I still wonder what tension should i use my racket's maximum tension is 28 and right now, i'm planning to change my string to Yonex BG 65-TI and string tension to 26 lbs.is it good?

13. Gunnersfan

Student
    string tension also like racket, it's a personal choice.....
    you have to determine the tension yoursself.....
    consider your technique and arm strength.....
    low tension gives you more power but it is hard to control the shuttle because of the power of repulsion of the shuttle...
    high tension gives you more control on the shuttle but it's hard to get power with the same effort..
    usually only pros and advance players are using high tension...
    imo, 19-21lbs is for beginners
    22-26lbs is for intermediate
    27lbs++ is for advance and pros

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    like everyone had already mentioned, badminton equipment is quite personal. even the racket specs could feel diff between diff players. best way to go, if you can, is trial and error. it might cost you a bit of money to try out different strings and grips by replacing them before they are worn, but if you really want to find out, that's the way to go. demo-ing rackets is a lot easier because there are pro shops at the badminton clubs or badminton stores that has demo programs for you to try out diff rackets. a lot of what people on BC know is based on years of experience, and to just tell you their experience is really inadequate when it comes to equipment selection...you gotta feel it for yourself. i could tell you one string sounds awesome, but unless you hear it, you're not going to know. same with tackiness of a grip.

in the end, i hope that you're able to find general info on equipment, but anything specific will have to be discovered thru experimentation.

15. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Hey guys just a quick question... I like my shots 'feelingless', like currently on my bg66um at 25lbs where when I smash, I don't or almost don't feel anything, perhaps just a slight tug at my racket when I hit it. Are these types of feelings achieved on soft feeling strings? How will u compare the feeling to nbg99 for those who have used both b4? Thanks.

16. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    how about adding an extra grip to absorb all the vibration, or put vibration deadening device like those in tennis, the ones that goes right onto the stringbed?

17. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Dont think we have vibration deadening devise like those in rennis

18. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Oh but then how will u rate the feeling of 99 vs 66um? 99 has more vibration or less? Are shots more or less crisp sounding?

19. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I cant remember the feeling because it been a long time since I use the 99. Play for 2 week and change to 66um again. hehehe

20. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

@shinichi So did u change back to 66um because u didn't like the string as much?