Why isn't Gill Clark commentating?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Cloud7z, Jul 28, 2012.

1. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    This David Mercer bloke has been commentating since 2004 Athens.

Such an annoying and brainless flop. Yesterday he kept pronouncing Chen Jin of Chen Long though it was so obvious the back of his shirt SAY C. Long.

And then horrendously pronounced LYD as Li Young Die.

Listening to him really ruins the badminton commentary and for the three editions !!!

2. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Well, I think we have to admit that we don't have many good commentator at badminton. Aside from Gillian Clark, Morten Frost, and some others, (I don't really know their name, lol).

Even in tennis as more international and popular sport, they have some bad and annoying commentator. I think it's okay, since we cannot have a perfect one in every single matches.

Here in Indonesia I think we don't have good commentator as well, they usually only talk exactly what just happened, like:

... Good smash down the line by Taufik!
    ... Nice block by Jauhari.
    ... Misjudgement from Simon.

Bla bla bla. I am not blind and need to be told what happening in front of my eyes.

Good commentator imo also is someone who can spell players name, and I think players should told the official how to spell their names. That would be good for everyone.

Yesterday I watched USA vs FRA in basketball, there were three commentators and they are good, bring some intelligent analysis and info. They are really fluid and reactive for what happened on court. I hope someday badminton can have someone like them as well. Amen.

3. event

event Regular Member

It would now seem to be pointless to speculate on why she isn't doing commentary when, in fact, she is...

I believe I heard her, too, on the IOC Youtube channel. Perhaps what some of you are referring to here is that she is not being heard on the BBC. Perhaps if one normally does hear her on BBC (no idea whether that's the case), that could be a result of the BBC just buying SS events, complete with commentary, from the company she works for. That would not be true during the Olympics, when all kinds of big-money deals are struck.

#23 event, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  4. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Sensationalist? How do you rate the usual Cantonese commentators from the HK channels then? Do those Cantonese commentators give you a better understanding on what sensatinalists are supposed to mean?

5. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

in an ideal world, there would be a "no commentary" option. if there was such an option, I would probably select it 9 times out of 10. like other posters have said, i have eyes. i can see what is happening. you don't need to state the obvious to me. and you certainly don't need to sensationalize it. i agree the HK commentators do a similar thing.really, i was just giving my thoughts on GC. A lot of people seem to rate her. I don't. That's just my opinion.Morten Frost provides insight and a level of understanding that is beyond the basics which GC provides. As for David Mercer, that old goat should stick to his tennis. He's seen a few a matches, read some stats regarding the players, and probably been taught the theory by GC, and then he commentates like he knows the sport. It annoys me when you have veteran commentators who commentate on a variety of sports as if they know a thing or two.

6. badders2006

there are some sports where commentary is almost needed to fully appreciate and understand the depth of the game.

for example, take snooker. where the commentators are able to predict the next shot, in terms of spin, angles and positioning of the cue ball. they add real value to the appreciation of the game.

commentary of racquet sports is generally a case of stating the obvious. Tennis is probably the worst, where commentary basically consists of "this is a crucial point in the match... player A can't afford to drop serve now. it's just the same old lines regurgitated.

david mercer , as a veteran commentator, is the master of churning out the same old brainless lines which any generic racquet sport commentator is programmed to say.

7. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Good commentating is an art - you have to have an indepth knowledge of the game, be able to analyse the current situation, and be articulate (and interesting) enough to deliver one's analysis in real time to audiences who may range from complete beginners to the game to diehard fans who know every player and their statistics. In my view only Morten Frost comes closest to this ideal. He's not perfect but I never tire listening to his comments. You know it's time to shape up when an Internet Forum has a thread listing one's "isms."

8. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

Gill Clark isn't amazing when she's commenting on her own but I think she's a great conversationalist, i.e. when she's broadcasting with someone, the combined commentary tends to be quite insightful.

9. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

But i only hear her talking most of the time... Anyway, I like it when she is comentating, with or without a partner

10. H8work

H8work Regular Member

Gill Clark Miss know it all, she stating the freaking obvious and keeps referring back to when she was a player. Much prefer David Mercer he's not a expert on the sport and when there an exciting point won he gets excited as well like a spectator where Gill will just analyze it point by point, one plain tone no enthusiasim at all. Anyway it's time for a change in with the new and out with old. I think Gail Emms is fresh current knows what it's like to play againts players of todays era.

11. badders2006

i actually quite like gail emms.

i like her enthusiasm and she makes comments and gives insight only a player who won world championships and competed in the heat of olympic finals will be able to give.

i.e. you can tell she really understands and reads the game.

unlike "armchair" experts like david mercer who has only ever watched matches and read up on the game.

12. morpheus

morpheus Regular Member

I used to think that GC is a good commentator. However, it has become all too abvious for her anti-chinese sentiment which I consider as unprofessional.

A good example is today WS bronze medal. During the WX injury incident, before she really retired from the match, GC implied that it was a tactic from the Chinese! and SN had to be careful with her game plan. Even afterward, I don't think I heard her felt sorry for WX. Yes, she said it's a tragic, but rather for SN to win a bronze medal in such a way. She didn't mention about the crowd booing WX as well.

In contrast, David Mercer didn't like what the crowd did. He said that 'it (booing) is rather uncessary'.

13. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    After listening to GC spend a whole All England finals day talking about how all the players needed to work on their fitness, regardless of how intense the rallies were, in one of the first AE after the score system change when the games became shorter. I really didn't care about her commentary.
    Gail Emms is good and most people actually know she is a Badminton player.

14. badders2006

david mercer is nothing but an armchair expert with regards to badminton. He has played tennis at a professional level so i respect his commentary more when he commentates on tennis (but is still boring and only able to state the obvious with a few stats thrown in - but that is as good as tennis commentary gets)

gill seems to get excited by a deep lift, that's how much she exaggerates things.