Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    I don't like conflicts, says Saina Nehwal

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/london-olympics-2012/news/I-dont-like-conflicts-says-Saina-Nehwal/articleshow/15020000.cms

While there has been so much noise in the Indian sports fraternity with regards to the Olympics - be it the tennis controversy, or the innumerable felicitations and interviews - you seem to be one sportsperson who has been avoiding public appearances. Why?

I am actually doing what I am required and expected to be doing. I am a sportsperson and my first and the most important job is to play well and make my country proud. I have been training hard to put up a good show in London. I do appreciate the felicitations because they motivate us further to do well, and the interviews because the media generates awareness about the sport we play, but I think it needs to be understood that I can't be giving interviews all the time. Similarly, I can't be making appearances at any and every event because I have to utilise my time in training. I have not been deliberately avoiding appearances, I am not in hiding, it's just that training and practice are more important to me.

So, have you turned down offers to make public appearances?

Why just appearances? I have turned down so many endorsements. My phone never stops ringing. In the run up to the Olympics, people have been calling me constantly for some thing or the other - felicitations, endorsements, interviews, shoots, etc. It was becoming too much to handle. Finally, I started diverting them all to my manager. There have been so many endorsement offers that my manager had to turn down on my behalf so that I was left with time to just concentrate on my game.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Wow! So many haters which is sad...

Anyhow wondering whether any BC'ers managed to catch ESPN's Travelling with the Pros segment on Saina and can they upload a copy?

I think it is a great thing for badminton (for the world and India) that the Indian team was/is getting a lot of attention. It serves as motivation and encouragement that you can be successful in badminton even though you might not have the support infrastructure that badminton-dominated countries have.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sadly, I couldn't find the entire segment; just the teasers. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQTQMNhkG4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoZaqti3ms&feature=relmfu

The draws are just out. Here is what it looks like for Saina.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-at-London-Olympics/articleshow/15112303.cms

Excerpt:

...The Indian ace, who was wary about meeting the ever-improving Koreans, may not meet them at all. Saina, who is placed in Group E, may face her first challenge in the quarterfinals against Tine Baun of Denmark or Japan's Sayaka Sato, provided if she wins her group and the pre-quarters against low-key opponents.

If Saina loses in the semifinals -- most likely against Wang Yihan -- she would be facing either Wang Xin or Li Xuerui for the bronze medal. So one win against any one of the Chinese shuttlers will help her finish on the podium.

"The draw is very tough. The first round may be easy but it will get tougher and tougher from the second round (pre-quarters). But yes, avoiding the Koreans is a bit of relief," said Saina, who will be leaving for London on Tuesday morning.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina Nehwal banks on experience in Olympics

AFP | Jul 25, 2012
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...perience-in-Olympics/articleshow/15143778.cms

Excerpt:

"The draw looks quite tough. I've played them before and they've given me challenges. I'm expecting good matches. But I'm just going to take it one match at a time," said Nehwal, who made her Olympic debut at Beijing 2008.

"I have developed as a player. This is my second Olympics and I want to be more relaxed and not take on too much pressure."

Nehwal, who reached the quarterfinals at Beijing, said it was her "dream" to win a medal in a competition where Chinese players, including Wang and second seed Wang Xin, are expected to dominate.

"That would be great. That's a dream for every Indian and me. But I don't want to put too much pressure on myself," she said.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Unfortunately despite the tough talk and high expectations, SN has failed to reach the WS finals at this LOG.

CHN still prevails and is assured of the WS gold medal.

6. KariSeng

KariSeng Regular Member

Quite normal situation. If u stay long enuff in India or Malaysia, those anehs only know how to talk big and arrogant after just a little lucky achievement.Now, she will offer excuses. LOL

7. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Disappointing for her indeed. She will have a good shot at Bronze. No matter what happen, her result would be the best among non-Chinese WS player. That is not bad.

8. travoltarulez

travoltarulez Regular Member

Oh no man! Wang Xihan retires due to an injury, and Saina wins the Bronze medal by walkover. I'm sure even Saina wouldn't have wanted the match to end this way. Go on my Chinese forum-members, lambast her for all she's worth:rolleyes:

9. Heong

Heong Regular Member

she must feel awkward... granted a bronze without actually doing much for it lol

but least India is happy about it

#909 Heong, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  10. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Congrats to Saina. Probably not how she likes to win it. Hope that relieves the pressure and expectation she set for herself. Keep it going and do better in 2016.

11. Granum

Granum Regular Member

Well, it seems the India media believes that Saina's "superior fitness" defeated Wang Xin through injury, despite having been a set down..

12. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

i have noticed that saina has stopped being so called "arrogant" and "over confident" while mentioning her opponents and her prospects of winning a match...
    guess its paying her well

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Last year, so many injuries, disappointments, and of course so many crude, uncivilized insults from people who don't know back from front about actually playing pro badminton, armchair trouble-makers. I am very happy for Saina; she won the bronze at least. I hope she continues to improve. I'm sure she knows it won't be easy, but she is a tough kid, she will do it if she puts her mind to it. This result will give her more confidence in herself as well.

Feel really sorry for Wang Xin though; a great player and competitor, an absolute joy to watch on court; not sure if she will compete in Rio, but I look wordard to watching so many more of her matches in the next few years.

Congratulations to the Indian coach Gopi, and also to Edwin, who I think had a pretty significant role to play in Saina's improved physical condition and better court coverage.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  15. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I believe Saina wont be a great threat in Rio. This was her best shot at the olympics. Probably P.V. Sindhu would be best bet from India if she stays injury free. She is currently 16 and improving day by day.

16. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Consider she was 4th in Beijing. This time, she was almost 4th again but fortunate to get the bronze. However you look at it, the result was the same or better than last time. She should be happy with her accomplishment and the Olympics medal.

Since she didn't get the gold/silver, hope she will continue keep going and aim for gold/silver in Rio. She is only 22, I like her chance in 2016. I am not sure about 2020.

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

she lost in the QF in 2008 Beijing

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Someone posted that she hasn't been arrogant recently, but after yesterday's match, she had the cheek to say she was "going to win anyway as my opponent was tiring"

What a loa of rubbish, the Chinese team are the fittest in the world, Saina makes herself out to be invincible like Muhammed Ali, who was almost invincible so when he made his comments he backed them up, Saina shouldn't make these comments as if she cannot be beaten, and she should definitely not say that when her opponent has just suffered a career threatening injury. It's distasteful to say the least.

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

What would you expect her to say if you were in her position?

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i think sometime you just have to put down to cultural differences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.