who's to blame for the match throwing?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 1, 2012.

?

who's to be blamed for the match throwing?

1. The players are at fault for throw matches

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. BWF is to blame for implementing group structure

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. no one / other are to be blamed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. both players and BWF are to be blamed

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    what match was that?

That's why BWF only ban players not the who association...

2. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

What do you mean by that? You mean when Messi or Ronaldo was sat out of a meaningless match and they announced that they suffered some kind of injury during training but somehow recovered in time for the next match was a tactic by their manager??? Holy batman that can't be!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

#142 Jasonvan, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

the little piece of commentary writing by Anna Rice is interesting. just shows how unprepared the planner for the scheduling was for this version of round robin format..

4. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    You can look at Tiger Cup 1998.

It is very easy just to punish the players and only them because they are powerless and unable to fight back.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Let me temporarily delay that till I have more time to post something sensible ;)

#145 demolidor, Aug 3, 2012
  6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Watching the Athletics and Michael Johnson (Olympic Champion and World Record Holder) just said about one of the heats:

"you just want to do enough, and conserve as much energy as you can, there's no point in using energy you don't have to"

Surely this athlete should now be disqualified, they're no longer using there best efforts!

Surely Usain Bolt should have been DQ'd from the 100M final in Beijing as he didn't use his best efforts for the full race?

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah but he didn't run backwards whilst doing twirls forward rolls and skipping.

8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    all evidence is pointed at players, what evidence you have against the coach & the association?

players are the one who stab the knife and hand full of blood but the coaches are the one who instructed them...

but nobody see that further more the players has to final choice not to follow order.

I dont see why I need to rob a bank if my boss asked me to, I know it wrong and I will lose my job.

9. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i agree that your statement above is a right attitude to do. but to compare the example above with what happen in this OG badminton, i think it's can't be compare.

rob a bank is criminal thing, and definitely wrong to do. but tactically 'choose' your opponent to open your chance on winning the title is strategical thing. and strategy or tactics should be part of some games if not all i think? afterall, the format being used itself is prone to strategical acts.

i agree that what the players did is really a shameful and disrespectful act to the crowds and spectators, but the reason they did it still understandable. people can blame them for showing such playing in front of full crowd, but to blamed them for cheating and other harsh reason, i don't know.

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

No matter how much the format encouraged players or how much leniency BWF have showed in the past, the fact still remains that the code of conduct rules are and have always been there in black and white and they were found guilty of breaking the rules(i.e cheating). This fact at least needs to be accepted.

#150 craigandy, Aug 3, 2012
  11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

He was still in the finals right? He still needed to be in top 2 or 3 in the Heats to go into the finals(win), he could not get last(lose). If Usain Bolt lost, then he'll be out of the finals. If he lost, he would be questioned why. If it was found he purposely lost,, there'll be investigations as to whether he took bribes or coerced/blackmailed to do so.

Conserving energy and deliberately/purposely losing is a different matter. Running is not a good example, look up lawn bowling.:D

Football or other team sports also happen,yes, but harder to prove. A reserve player and a main player playing are 2 different persons, different standards of play. BUT... if there is evidence or someone comes forward....
    Badminton is individual sports(except for team events), same person playing, how to justify playing like beginner when one is World CHampion, World ranking top 10. Other sports do it doesnt make it right, just means it's harder to prove.

#151 eaglehelang, Aug 3, 2012
  12. sen

sen Regular Member

To say that London is very civilised people is quite controversial. British riot happened not that long ago. Did Singapore riot in the past 2 decades ?

It is the opposite. Maybe they are afraid London spectator would riot if nothing is being done. In Singapore Open, Lin Dan got away without anyone throwing a single bottle because the spectators are afraid of the authority

13. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Actually the choice # 4 “ both players and BWF are to be blamed “ no need to be in the list as to distinguish within players & BWF to be blame most (root cause), then the coach escape behind the scape-G (players),
    Don’t forget last time during the line call saga by the disgraceful linesmen BWF keep on sleeping as it happen until Lin Dan being a victim. BWF let it happen like nobody business and they wait until paranoid level.They just sleeping like nobody business when certain country keep on practicing it.
    Why not get the statistic which country practice it most. Oops..!! somebody so shy to mention. So hide it.(nice culture)
    More disgusting a coach demand his players for apology as he is the maestro of this disgrace culture and use a players as the curtain to hide his.....what ah..?? And yet BWF using round robin which is as good as mouse trap at weird timing to take action where the earlier country which do it just escape freely. To me players is a victim.

For match fixing, BWF has been sleeping for so looong like nobody business. If there’s no sense of the root cause, there’s no solution can be solved.
    Or let pretend that we all don’t know the main cause, and problem solved..???

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Olympics badminton: South Korea sorry over match-throwing row

BBC Sport, 3 August 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19116701

The head of South Korea's badminton delegation has issued an apology over the Olympics match-throwing scandal, the Yonhap news agency reports.

Two pairs from South Korea, along with a pair from China and Indonesia, were disqualified from the women's doubles.
    They were accused of wanting to lose, in an attempt to manipulate the draw for the knockout stage.

"I deeply apologize for tainting the honour of Korea," said head badminton coach Sung Han-kook.

"I recognise my failure to live up to the responsibility as the head coach to properly manage the athletes."

The players were accused of "not using one's best efforts to win" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

South Korean appealed over the expulsion of pairs Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na and third seeds Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung, but it was rejected by the Badminton World Federation.

China's head coach Li Yongbo has also issued an apology after the world number one pairing pair of Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli were also disqualified as part of the controversy.

Yu also went on Chinese state television to say:"First of all, I want to apologise to our fans. We didn't play with the Olympic spirit. It has reflected very badly on us."

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Olympics badminton: Coaches of disqualified players face probe

BBC Sport, 2 August 2012
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19091234

Excerpts:

..."It's important to make sure it's not just the athletes that are punished," said IOC spokesman Mark Adams.

...British Olympic Association chairman Lord Moynihan said the format now needed to be investigated
    He said: "It is unacceptable for any athlete not to give it their best.

"I don't think it is wise to have a format which could create the environment and conditions [for that to happen] and I'm sure the BWF will have to look at the implications of this."

Chinese Olympic officials have already demanded that the players involved in the scandal "reflect deeply on it" and "publicly apologise".

...China's badminton coach Li Yongbo said he should take the blame for the incident, which Chinese state media said "violates the Olympic spirit of fair competition".

"As head coach, I owe the supporters of Chinese badminton and the Chinese TV audiences an apology," the Xinhua news agency quoted him as saying.

"Chinese players failed to demonstrate the fine tradition and fighting spirit of the national team. It's me to blame."

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i really like to know the Korean's appeal based on what ground!!

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Probably because they won comfortably. I think it must have been a harder decision at least to DQ Koreans since they whipped the quality china pair 21-11 21-14. Still they got sucked into it to much so bye bye.

18. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. Guess I didn't miss much when I more or less quit badminton years ago.

19. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Song Tribute To The Disqualified Players....Bye bye black sheep have you any wordsYes sir yes sir been threated like a foolOne by the master (BWF) who sleep all the wayAnd one by the cocky coach who lead me down the drain

20. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

the poll seems to be missing a possible choice, 'Li Yonbo (and the politically higher up) the ultimate douchebag' - i will pick this one. i havent read through all the posts, but my choice probably just echoes many of the same on the forum.