match scheduling is another factor to blame.

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Ok maybe this buglary model isn't such an ideal example. Take for instance the law as an example. If there are loopholes, there will be abuses. What more, when the players play to win at all cost. Even the law needs to be refined and retuned from time to time to repel mischievous 'loopholing'.

2. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

It's against the law to urinate in public. Yet, there have been times when there has been no WC available and I really had to go. I found a bush or somewhere else out of the public eye and did my business. Not with in the rule of law but like the Chinese women I had a hard choice to make either break the local ordinance or pee my pants. Also not something that's likely to cause any outcry on the part of officialdom or my fellow citizens.

Now if you want to extend this analogy to what these ladies did. I would have to walk up to the nearest police officer in Trafalgar Square unzip and proceed to pee on his leg.

3. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    But it also has to imply that you had nowhere else to urinate first. =] I'm satisfied with that analogy given that you had no other option but to plainly pee all over the poor officer xD

4. sagoh

sagoh Regular Member

i totally agreed with bifo. This will give a tough wake up call to the LYB who keep encouraging match fixing among the Chinese players to their advantage(which is bad to the sport)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    So, are you saying that we sacrifies better players like WSX, CY, XXF, XXZ, etc are good? So, the players like WSX does not deserve to cash her dream? If they feel like they got robbed to begin with, they can not even try to play the gray area to survive with what were left for them?

2 days ago, when Jordyn Wieber got eliminated from the gymnastics all around (at the same time, RUS, ENG, CHN also lost their 3rd best due to the same rule), there's an outcry in the media main stream. The coach publicly calling the "limited entries" "ridiculous", and many so call fans threaten to protest to force the FIG to fix the rule.

So, 2 days later, the 8 players try to boost up their own chances, and see what the out come is...

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Because thieves always trying to calling others thieves first. :-D

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    all players should be kept in a dark room before all the games finish with no contact with outside world

8. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Hey... This is Olympic, a world stage not China Super Series/ Grand Prix or League.

9. SibugiChai

YAB
    every sports are doing this, to limit participants from each country... China are lucky BWF allowed 3 players in MS & WS... in other sport max 2 only.. some only 1 per sport

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, yeah, they should understand the situation, and yeah, CHN's other events (say men's basketball, quite some T&F, etc) did receive benefit at the cost of others.

However, whatever men's basketball benefit or not, has nothing to do with Yu/Wang or LYB's career. If Yu/Wang fight to death, and lost the Gold or Silver or Bronze, or all, do you think the angry fans will accept their reason of "at least, we spread out the common wealth, and our basketball team gets to play..." Well, good luck the general public can be that understandable, and not throw LYB or Yu/Wang, etc under the bus, of course for a totally different reason...

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Re the scheduling, from what i was told from one of the BCers who is helping out w/BWF, it was a "mess" from the very beginning..in other words, BWF never really thought about the draw & the effects the schedule will have..thus the last minute re-scheduling of matches, prior to the start of the matches, which infuriated quite a bit of players..
    I think BWF will definitely revisit this idea of group play format again..

As for the group play format itself, imo, BWF should've done a dry-run at last yr's WC; just in case they need to tinker or do away with any kinks..

#31 ctjcad, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    they did a dry run at 2011 SS Finals with this round robin format. But obviously they didn't have as well players and countries back then.

13. sen

sen Regular Member

I would say using the analogy of burglars is harsh, how about if like this, you live in a hostel and you put orange juice in a common kitchen without writing that it is yours.

If a person drink it, thinking that it is to be shared, then the blame is on both on the person who drink it and you.

This case is like another people saw the person who drink it and warn the person and that person still drinks it.

14. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I'm having trouble seeing why people need an analogy for this.

Let's say you go to the Olympics and you decide to cheat. You think it's ok because you do it all the time and the organisation responsible for your sport has never cracked down on it before. While you are cheating the officials come up to you and say "hey look, cut this out, we are in public now we'll be forced to act if you do this here. We're not kidding"

See no analogy needed it really isn't that complicated is it?

15. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    I wouldn't compare gymnastics with badminton, mainly because in gymnastics, a single mistake usually equals losing and it really doesn't take much to screw up, so it would make sense to have multiple entries for one country. Whereas in badminton, you're allowed to make a lot of mistakes and still win if you're the better player on the court that given day.

#35 blableblibloblu, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  16. Teebs

Teebs Regular Member

Scientist
    You have rather eloquently expressed the reasonable opinion that has already been ignored, unfortunately I have little faith that opinions will be changed...

17. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I like the point about the poor scheduling. One of the advantages of round robin play is that you can schedule matches between top competitors early on in the competitions in an effort to draw in viewers. Match throwing might still occur later in the round robin, but it at least avoids the embarrassing situation of having both teams trying to throw the same match.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    who decides the schedule?

referee? organizers? BWF officials?

19. fd16n

fd16n Regular Member

i think the biggest culprit in terms of scheduling is the order of play, why there is such a gap between match in group d to match on the other group? why not for example like football play simultaneously, afterall they have 3 courts on the stadium

20. SibugiChai

YAB
    I think beside the schedule the weather are also to be blame...And also lot of others things