Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    all my rackets was string with white and yellow string

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Probably a good idea to listen to this pro from Brunei ;)

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    My earlier reference to LD's fast hand speed could be better worded. What I mean is that LD has very fast hand speed, meaning that the speed of the racket head at impact with the shuttle is extremely fast.
    This can happen only if the rest of the "swing" elements are slower in a coordinated way.
    Let me explain using a simple analogy. Try to visualize a column or straight line of 20 soldiers marching and then making a 90% right hand turn. Soldier #1 is the first soldier to be on the pivot and soldier #20, being at the end of the line. The "impact" or objective of the right hand turn is to complete the right hand turn with precision. The pivot position of soldier #1 during the turn is almost stationery, just like where you stand when hitting a shuttle. The end of the line, soldier #20 (racket head impact point), must have a significantly faster speed than soldier #1. Like in hitting very crisp and fast shots, the faster the end point (soldier #20) relative to the impact point (soldier #1) the faster the hand speed.
    Your body's motion is a complex series of movements starting from your feet to shuttle impact with well coordinated varying speeds, from soldier #1 to soldier #20, to deliver the perfect crisp shot.
    You can actually tell if you have fast hand speed. Just like the difference between the feel or crispness from a 0.62 gauge string and a 0.70 gauge string, a particular color of the same string that gives you that superior crispness will be better.
    One way to test your hand speed is to try to use almost no arm or hand movement to try to deliver a drive from the end of the court across the net with great speed and with almost no hand or arm movement. Players who are hard to "read" usually have very fast hand speed.

Colors in strings are either dye or pigments. Dye is like wearing almost no underwear, pigments are like wearing thick and very tight underwears. If you wear a thin pair of pants the wear and tear will be faster with no underwaer.

4. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

Lol....confusing analogy but i get your drift

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Ok, I've had the chance to try my Arc10 with the ZM62 now.

Again, this was strung at 25/27 on my 3UG4 Arc10. First thing I noticed was the sound. Very distinctive difference in the sound that it makes compared to all the other sounds coming from the racquets of all the other players at my club. Really makes you stand out! If I had to describe it, its a louder, higher pitch ping. Reminds me of when I was playing at school when we had the whole hall to ourselves and all you can hear is the beautiful crisp echo of striking a feather shuttle cleanly.

The sweetspot is definitely slightly higher and a little bigger than with BG80. I don't know why, but the racquet is a lot more playable now compared with my other Arc10 with BG80 at the same tension. Control is better along with more feel. In terms of power, I think BG80 is more powerful, but only just. However the power is more accessible with ZM62, it is more forgiving and tolerates slightly imperfect shots. The strings did move around a lot but this is a small price to pay for a string of this quality though. Drop shots are far better with the ZM62, theres more feel and you know you've hit a good one by the amplified sound but for outright power, BG80 is better. My flick serves with 62 did not turn out very well, they were controllable, but surprisingly did not have the repulsion I was used to. This was a big surprise as I was expecting there to be more repulsion.

Despite how well the 62 plays, for me, it still cannot make up for the shortfalls with the Arc10. I have played with most of the top end racquets that Yonex have manufactured since the late 80's and to me the Arc10 is one of the most disappointing of all Yonex have made, particularly when we factor in the price. Admittedly I have not tried the 2U, but the 3U is awful.

Overall, I think the ZM62 has done well to make the Arc10 playable for me, but to be honest, even with the improvements that the 62 brings over BG80, I feel the Arc10 really is too poor a racquet to improve significantly.

As said, I am more used to medium gauge strings, so I'll be looking forward to trying out the 65 and 67 possibly on my 8DX or Ti-10.

6. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I tried the ZM67, I strung my MX80 and Tpro with ZM67 (prototype ZM67 for the Tpro)

I have 2 packs of ZM67 now
    I'm thinking to try ZM65.. or maybe ZM62 (As I have no problem with ZM67, yes, I cannot even break the string in this past 2 years)
    do you think it will be better than ZM67? (in term of playability)

7. visor

visor Regular Member

i've been testing out both zm67 and 65 against my favourite vs850 recently...

ultimate power: 67>65>850
    feel: 850>65>67
    tension retention: 67>65>850

so depending on your playstyle, choose the string that fits you

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

mybadmintonstore is now carrying the second-generation Zymaxes, including Z65:).

9. Alapongtai

how do you know theyre 2nd gen? are all red ones 2nd gen?

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The Mk2 has different packaging, and yes - red only came in for the 2nd gen; the Mk1 only came in white, silver and yellow.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think Ashaway has made a monumental mistake in the 2nd generation red Zymax strings. I suspect not enough research was done and the new formulation of the red string has taken more of the characteristics of much cheaper and lower grade strings, with consequential huge losses in crispness, speed and efficient power delivery.
    I think someone should kick Ashaway in the butt and tellthem of their foolish and failed "experiment".

12. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Thanks for the info. I am very curious to know the differences between different Zymax string (white/yellow/red). Is there a difference between Yellow and White versions as well? I heard from fellow forum members that the yellow Zymax plays better, not sure if it is true though. I am currently using ZM62 white and it is currently my favourite string. My only gripe is it doesn't last long for me (26lbs, play 8-12 hours per week, average string life two weeks).

13. Alapongtai

is this the same with other strings as well? ex. bg65
    if what you said is true, i might have to ask ashaway to exchange my 10+ sets of strings for a diff color lol

14. zombie0517

I believe the Zymax strings are manufactured using a different polymer material (PEEK) using a different process so the color related performance difference issue is probably not related to BG 65.

taneepak, Can you be more specific about "the characteristics of much cheaper and lower grade strings". Is it tension holding, coating/texture, string hardness or something else?

15. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    That's weird because most of the players in this forum prefer the 2nd gen Zymax compared to the 1st gen. Can you explain more taneepak?

16. zombie0517

The second gen is much more durable than the first gen.

17. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Yup but what does taneepak have to say with the second gen?

18. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Im using the white and the yellow ZM62 and ZM 65. Honestly I didnt feel any difference between the white and the yellow string

19. zombie0517

I think he was referring to the red colour type only. I have tried the white versions of ZM62, 67 and 70 and they played just fine. No "cheapness" spotted by me:p

20. kevindd992002

Engineer
    And those are all second gen? I was also reading before that the red is kind of "OK".