Out of the game for a few years, need some recs please

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Glacyus, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

It has been about four years since I have played/purchased rackets, so I am not familiar with the current landscape of rackets. I would consider myself a lower tier intermediate player with a total experience of maybe 6 years or so. I really have no preference for a particular brand, though my favorite racket seems to have been a Yonex MusclePower77.
    -Please, I need recommendations that can be purchased in the USA over the internet, as I live in Pennsylvania. By the way, what are some trustworthy e-retailers of badminton equipment nowadays anyway?
    -I am a doubles player, definitely more the back-court type, with decent power, my reflexes at the net are somewhat lacking. I've played with lighter, balanced rackets in the past like the SOTX 5, and while they def improved my defense and front-court game, I felt I could not generate much power.
    -I am somewhat on a budget, and would prefer to stay under $120 or so, though I might be talked into slightly upping that figure if something is much better for a premium. As I am not a very advanced player, I do not think I would benefit from player-branded, top of the line rackets anyway. :)
    Thank you all very much!

2. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Mybadmintonstore is a trustworthy and reliable e-retailer, here's the link:

If you prefer headheavy racquets, mid-range voltrics from Yonex are good choices.

Victor MX80 is also a very good racquet to consider - stiff, slightly head heavy, amazing control and decent smash power. Very good choice for a mid-rear court doubles player, though it will cost you more.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Mx80's extra stiff shaft may be a bit hard to handle for a low intermediate player. Perhaps the mx60 or 70 would be better depending on your stiffness preference.

4. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

Those are exactly the type of suggestions I needed, thank you so much for your helpfulness! Looking over some specs, the mx70 might fight the bill nicely. MyBadmintonStore looks like a great store with great prices, unfortunately does not stock the mx70, are there other e-tailers?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

I believe sohubuy.com has them. And Eric of RKEP on eBay can get you one at pretty good prices if you email him direct at rkepracket@gmail.com as he's based in Taiwan. Both of them are trusted e-tailers around here.

#5 visor, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  6. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

Thank you again. The one question that remains now, is picking between two different rackets I have narrowed it down to. Shall I go with the mx70, or the voltric 9? As far as I understand, the victor is made of higher end materials and thus more expensive, but how do they perform in comparison to each other?

7. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

I guess we should throw the higher end vt80 into the comparison, I see that it's comparable in price to the victor on sohubuy.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Vt80 would be 20-30% more expensive than mx70. It's great for singles but I find it too slow for fast men's doubles. Vt9 I don't know much about it but for the same $ I'd go for the MX70.

9. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

I believe the nanospeed 6600 is the replacement for the MP77. I know a friend that used the MP77 then switching to the NS6600 because it was a similar built. If my memory is correct, I remember swinging the rackets and they did feel the same.

10. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Nah, go for the MX70 over either the VT9 or VT80. MX70's cheaper than VT80 too.

11. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

Thank you all, the mx70 it shall be.

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i thought the arcsaber line replaces the muscle power line?

13. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    The MP77 was classed as a medium stiff racket with slight balance towards head heaviness, which would lead more towards arcsabers and armourtecs rather than the nanospeed line from YY, the nano 6600 is a flexible shaft designed for easy power and a even balance.

I would say the suggestion of the MX70 or victor range would suit as they have various medium stiff rackets, yonex never really replaced the MP77, the Arc7 being medium stiffness was a replacement for the MP88 and the Arc10 range alongside the armourtecs replaced the other high end MP series rackets. Other suggestions could be the Voltric 9 or 70 however i wouldn't recommend either above the Mx70 for the retail price.

14. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    i think VT9 would suit u since u said u are rear court and power player.....
    head heavy, stiff shaft....
    a perfect weapon for hard hitters and attacking players......

15. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I'd still get the MX60 over the MX70. :) Especially if you like the back court more.