Practice vs Actual

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by boilermaker, Oct 31, 2004.

1. boilermaker

boilermaker Regular Member

Hi there,

Do you have the same problem as me? I can "smash" much harder during practice (withour shuttle), but when I actually play, it is a fraction of what I could hit.

Is this as simple as "drill, drill and drill" or else?

2. WEERADEJ

WEERADEJ Regular Member

sale
    Same me and have somebody told when play game have to move around the court.
    Just try train better footwork

3. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Practice is often done under controlled and predictable circumstances which means you anticipate where to stand ,when it is coming and as such are more relaxed which allows you to be more precise with execution.If you want your practice to mirror your game sense then put yourself in uncomfortable positioning so you learn to deal with that effect .Also learn to relax when in game situations as a tense arm developes less power and often more slice.One key point that you need to put into drills is to make it as close to a game situation as possible otherwise you are wasting your time practicing situations that rarely if ever present themselves.For example when practicing clears don't stand and wait for the next one to come back but practice your scissor kick and use your footwork to return to center and then accelerate back to hit the next one .Same with a smash because in a real game it comes back and you need to try and force that situation to your advantage .There is a huge distinction between practice and actual play and the more you try to make practice as close to a game situation the better off you will be.

4. RobertGJohns

RobertGJohns New Member

Bighook is right, trying to get the difference between real and actual play as small as possible is important.

Because you will never be able to recreate a game situation perfectly, view practicing smashes as a basic layer of skill, and the more solid that layer is, the better off you are when you get into a match.

The more you practice, the more ingrained the correct action becomes in your mind, and the more readily it will come back to you on court.

So I wouldn't worry that your smashes are weaker in a match; focus instead on the fact that the more you are practicing, the better your match smashes are becoming compared to previous matches, rather than compared to your practice smashes.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Try practicing during a game. Play a game where you smash every lifted shuttle and another where you will drop every shuttle. Obviously you'll need to play a different shot every now and again to keep them guessing but this is what I used to do and it worked for me.